News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

What do you wear for work?

Started by Zanza, August 10, 2011, 11:28:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

What do you wear for work?

business/informal (suit and necktie for men, perhaps cufflinks)
2 (4.3%)
business casual (suit, no necktie or cufflinks for men)
5 (10.9%)
smart casual (dress trousers, dress shirt, leather shoes, blazer for men)
10 (21.7%)
uniform (soldiers, police, hospital workers etc.)
4 (8.7%)
blue collar (work clothes for heavy or dirty work)
3 (6.5%)
casual (this is basically defined as "not one of the other categories")
22 (47.8%)

Total Members Voted: 46

Zanza

Quote from: HVC on August 10, 2011, 11:39:23 AM
Ya, i don't think blazer as a causaul thing is common in NA.

I think of something like this:

Both times worn with jeans, but you get the picture. That's not particularly formal in Germany. I wear combinations like that even when not at work...

Slargos

Quote from: garbon on August 10, 2011, 11:44:21 AM
Quote from: Slargos on August 10, 2011, 11:40:25 AM
:cool:

I don't think that many people are into bears.

You'd be surprised, I think.

You fags lead too goddamned sheltered lives. Not every truth can be found in Vogue or Elle.

HVC

Quote from: Slargos on August 10, 2011, 11:40:46 AM
Quote from: HVC on August 10, 2011, 11:37:25 AM
i think he means a special shirt. one from his pink collection.

:lol:

You son of a bitch.  :cry:
:hug:

Just standing up for ya :D. I'm sure as a good salesman you know how to dress for the occassion.

*edit* it's just unfortunate that you like pink :P
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Zanza

Anyway, I always wear a suit to work, but rarely wear a tie. While it isn't really necessary as I work in IT and a lot of my colleagues come in casual clothes, I do notice that you are perceived differently by coworkers and people from other companies. And I work in a conservative company's headquarter, so people wearing business attire are everywhere. That and I actually like wearing suits.

garbon

Quote from: Slargos on August 10, 2011, 11:47:44 AM

You fags lead too goddamned sheltered lives. Not every truth can be found in Vogue or Elle.

:huh:

The bear label is a big deal because of the gay community.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

derspiess

I used to have to wear a suit/tie here downtown when I worked for a rather conservative-minded bank.  Walking to/from my car and at lunch was a horrible experience-- the panhandlers here see a suit & assume you're loaded. 

When I left to work for my current company a couple blocks down, I was able to switch to business casual.  Now we're casual (i.e., jeans).  The bums leave me alone, which is ironic since I'm now making twice what the other place paid me.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Slargos

Quote from: HVC on August 10, 2011, 11:48:10 AM
Quote from: Slargos on August 10, 2011, 11:40:46 AM
Quote from: HVC on August 10, 2011, 11:37:25 AM
i think he means a special shirt. one from his pink collection.

:lol:

You son of a bitch.  :cry:
:hug:

Just standing up for ya :D . I'm sure as a good salesman you know how to dress for the occassion.

I wouldn't really say so. Perhaps I could actually improve results by dressing more sharply.

This is a very common look for salespeople in my business, though sans the faggotry.

I also see a lot of this

And fuck you. The pink shirt was a one-off deal 5 years ago. I didn't pick the goddamned colour, ok?  :D

Slargos

Quote from: garbon on August 10, 2011, 11:51:09 AM

Well. It might shock you that a lot of women actually prefer a hairy chest.  :P

garbon

Quote from: Slargos on August 10, 2011, 11:54:14 AM

Apparently it is shocking to you that I don't prefer a hairless child like Grallon.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Slargos

Quote from: garbon on August 10, 2011, 11:57:10 AM
Quote from: Slargos on August 10, 2011, 11:54:14 AM

Apparently it is shocking to you that I don't prefer a hairless child like Grallon.

Not as much as it should, since I have a faint memory of having this discussion before.  :lol:

Razgovory

Last job I had I typically wore jeans, a T-shirt and work boots.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Ideologue

Quote from: Zanza on August 10, 2011, 11:45:30 AM
Quote from: HVC on August 10, 2011, 11:39:23 AM
Ya, i don't think blazer as a causaul thing is common in NA.

I think of something like this:

Both times worn with jeans, but you get the picture. That's not particularly formal in Germany. I wear combinations like that even when not at work...

I've done jacket and T-shirt, but obviously never to any sort of formal thing (and it's only really doable about four months out of the year).  In any job I can imagine I'd stay with, I'd likely wear a suit, or at least shirt + tie.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Iormlund

Depends on the circumstances. Very rarely dress up if I'm meeting unknown, potential clients. Blue collar stuff if I'm in the field, with safety equipment (boots, hardhat, vest, goggles, etc) thrown in as required. At the office, whatever the hell I want, usually a T-shirt and whatever trousers I find laying around when I wake up.

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Martinus

It really depends.

To a meeting with a client almost exclusively a suit, a necktie (usually with cufflinks) except when a client expressly requests an informal meeting.

To the day to day work, usually a suit with no tie, or a button down shirt with more casual trousers (e.g. khakis or dark jeans).