The News of the World scandal
0 (0%)
The London riots
0 (0%)
The Norwegian massacre
2 (5.4%)
The Arab Winter
6 (16.2%)
The death of Amy Winehouse (The Jaron option)
0 (0%)
The Somalian famine ( :yeahright: )
0 (0%)
Other (write-in)
3 (8.1%)
The year is still young, a lot of bad things can happen
9 (24.3%)

Total Members Voted: 37

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Razgovory

Quote from: Valmy on August 09, 2011, 08:14:15 AM
Quote from: Neil on August 09, 2011, 08:12:31 AM
I don't think history will really remember it.  I mean, what's so important about old dictators being replaced by new dictators?

Better than they are going to remember the manufactured debt ceiling circus or one Norwegian gone wild.

I think the Japanese thing will be remembered.  Nuclear accidents are fairly rare and it's likely to have long lasting effects on nuclear policy in numerous countries.  Germany is phasing out all of their nuclear plants.  God, I hope we don't do something that stupid.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Valmy

Quote from: Razgovory on August 09, 2011, 09:12:49 AM
I think the Japanese thing will be remembered.  Nuclear accidents are fairly rare and it's likely to have long lasting effects on nuclear policy in numerous countries.  Germany is phasing out all of their nuclear plants.  God, I hope we don't do something that stupid.

I think the Germans were planning to do that anyway...but you might be right on the Japanese nucular incident.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

KRonn

I picked the Arab revolts. Not that it will necessarily turn out the best for those nations, or the rest of the world, as some may wind up with hard line Islamic regimes similar to Iran. But for the changes, good or bad, which will be quite significant no matter how it all goes down.

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

derspiess

Quote from: Razgovory on August 09, 2011, 09:12:49 AM
I think the Japanese thing will be remembered. 

That's how I voted

QuoteNuclear accidents are fairly rare and it's likely to have long lasting effects on nuclear policy in numerous countries.  Germany is phasing out all of their nuclear plants.  God, I hope we don't do something that stupid.

Our current energy czar (forget his name) did not seem to succomb to that panic, thankfully.  The one quote I remember from him was a reassurance that nuclear energy is safe, though he did use it as an opportunity to take a swipe at coal energy.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Razgovory

I have no problem with either coal or nuclear power.  They both have drawbacks, but what doesn't?  If we find something better, then by all means, phase them out.  It seems unlikely that something will better will come along in the near future though.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Valmy

Quote from: Razgovory on August 09, 2011, 12:30:28 PM
I have no problem with either coal or nuclear power.  They both have drawbacks, but what doesn't?  If we find something better, then by all means, phase them out.  It seems unlikely that something will better will come along in the near future though.

I guess it depends on your definition of "better"

Obviously if we had unlimited money we could power the country without using any Coal or Nuclear.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Sheilbh

The Arab uprising.  I feel it's one of those events when history just turns a little and everything's different.  Bliss was it in that dawn to be alive.

Having said that this has been an extraordinary year and I don't think it's done yet - I remember reading that after the Arab revolts the BBC had spent a lot of their news budget and they suddenly had to send loads of teams to Japan and so on.
Let's bomb Russia!

Grallon

2011 - 10 years after 9/11 - will be remembered as the year of the Great Decline - that is when the Hegemon has begun its slow fall.

G.
"Clearly, a civilization that feels guilty for everything it is and does will lack the energy and conviction to defend itself."

~Jean-François Revel

derspiess

Quote from: Grallon on August 09, 2011, 01:54:53 PM
2011 - 10 years after 9/11 - will be remembered as the year of the Great Decline - that is when the Hegemon has begun its slow fall.

G.

Yes-- the Hegemon that never quite was :contract:
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

The Brain

G.

OK, mon.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

DGuller

G.
I think Greece began its decline sometime before 2011.

Eddie Teach

G.

If you're referring to America, that date is a bit late.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Valmy

Heh.  Starting to balance our budget is the beginning of our fall?  Sounds good I hope we decline every year.