War After Armageddon - Plausible Scenario? The Languish Discussion.

Started by Syt, August 08, 2011, 11:59:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syt

I'm currently reading Ralph Peters' War After Armageddon. I liked his 1980s book Red Army about WW3 in Germany from a Soviet perspective well enough.

Disclaimer: I don't expect high political analysis or deep insights from the book - I read it as near future military pulp.

Anyways, the scenario as put down in the book:

In the 2020s, Muslim extremists detonate dirty bombs in major European cities. A minority among the Muslims in Europe start an uprising which they know will fail, but they hope to widen the rift between West and Muslims.

This is followed by violent pogroms against Muslims in all of Europe, at the end of which the nations of Europe decide to expell all Muslims. The U.S., appalled by the developments in Europe, offer humanitarian aid and supply ships for repatriation of the Muslims to Muslim countries - who don't want their Westernized cousins. The deported are dropped off in Muslim countries by force where the local authorities leave them to die. After a violent incident on one of the U.S. supplied transport ships, the Muslim world rallies against the U.S. and conspiracy theories rise that the whole deportation was the Americans' plan in the first place.

A year or two later, Iran launches an all out nuclear attack against Israel; at the same time terrorists detonate nukes in downtown L.A. and on the Strip in Las Vegas. America is outraged and religious radicals, call for a crusade and enter the White House in the next election. They create a volunteer Crusader Army to re-capture the Holy Land from the Muslims and eradicate the threat of Islam once and for all.

At the beginning of the book it's inferred that the U.S. turn into a rabidly religious country at the end of the process and that the Holy War got rid of all Muslims.

Haven't read much further yet. The book focuses on combat operations in Syria and Israel in the mid-2030s. Combat has a bit of a "back to the roots" approach with a lot of the electronic equipment (except especially shielded stuff) negated by electronic warfare and EMP weaponry.

Plausible? Or completely crazy? As said, I read this for entertainment, not form political enlightenment. But I thought Languishites would enjoy the scenario. :P
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Slargos

Implausible. Once the muslim insurrection starts, Europe will be so ethnically fragmented, there will be no defense to speak of.

Syt

Quote from: Slargos on August 08, 2011, 12:07:53 PM
Implausible. Once the muslim insurrection starts, Europe will be so ethnically fragmented, there will be no defense to speak of.

The idea is that only a small group rises up and hits key targets (like the Sistine Chapel) to rile up Euro response.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Fate

The Larch

Sounds painful to read.

Quote from: Fate on August 08, 2011, 12:13:25 PM
Needs a map.

QuoteBefore and after maps from "Blood borders: How a better Middle East would look", Armed Forces Journal, June 2006.

frunk

I like how even in a "better Middle East Map" they still can't decide what the West Bank should be.

Viking

Quote from: frunk on August 08, 2011, 12:33:42 PM
I like how even in a "better Middle East Map" they still can't decide what the West Bank should be.

Meh, I like how slicing and dicing the bulk of the arab states is somehow deemed simpler than resolving the Israeli Palestinian issue.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Slargos

Quote from: Viking on August 08, 2011, 12:57:38 PM
Quote from: frunk on August 08, 2011, 12:33:42 PM

Meh, I like how slicing and dicing the bulk of the arab states is somehow deemed simpler than resolving the Israeli Palestinian issue.

It'll be much easier once there are no arabs there.  :hmm:

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Solmyr

Quote from: Slargos on August 08, 2011, 12:07:53 PM

I think you underestimate the Europeans' capability for violent pogroms.

And if all else fails, we can import some Russians and Jews to expel the Muslims.

Viking

Quote from: The Brain on August 08, 2011, 01:07:59 PM
I wouldn't bother with dirty bombs if I were a terrorist.

I agree, a swedish terrorist would make a clean bomb.

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Solmyr

Quote from: Viking on August 08, 2011, 01:53:34 PM

If he could make sense of the instructions provided by IKEA.

Syt

The map, while by the same author, is not related to the scenario at hand.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Viking

Quote from: Solmyr on August 08, 2011, 01:54:33 PM
Quote from: Viking on August 08, 2011, 01:53:34 PM

If he could make sense of the instructions provided by IKEA.

If there is any more anti-social misanthrope in this world than Ingvar Kamprad I'm a jelly doughnut.

Razgovory

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017