Britain burns - Chavs ruin civilization

Started by Tamas, August 07, 2011, 08:11:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Warspite

The thing is, we did keep law and order; services still kept going, and vast swathes of the city did not experience anything. The riots did not get anywhere near the French level; and riots did not strike the same place two nights in a row. This was just an orgy of looting borne of a moment of perceived impunity. For me, a real breakdown in law and order would be something much more serious. Rather, this was a brief challenge to law and order, and the law is coming down hard in sentencing barely 48 hours after the fires were extinguished.

If you want to see a breakdown in law and order, look at the riots of the 1980s. ;)
" SIR – I must commend you on some of your recent obituaries. I was delighted to read of the deaths of Foday Sankoh (August 9th), and Uday and Qusay Hussein (July 26th). Do you take requests? "

OVO JE SRBIJA
BUDALO, OVO JE POSTA

Richard Hakluyt

These problems have been a long time in the making, forty years or so, what interests me is whether we have the will to start turning things around...................it will take a long time.

Neil

Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on August 11, 2011, 01:46:21 PM
These problems have been a long time in the making, forty years or so, what interests me is whether we have the will to start turning things around...................it will take a long time.
No kidding.  The punks have already been created in enormous numbers, and there's no educating, improving or mass-executing them.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Richard Hakluyt

The left still thinks that we should throw money at the problem, they never seem to get the fact that is deeply insulting to all the people on lower wages who would never dream of stooping to such crimes. Anyway, we don't have the money  :lol:

Legbiter

Transport looters to the Falklands and let them stay there for at least 5 years as punishment.  ;)
Posted using 100% recycled electrons.

Ideologue

Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on August 11, 2011, 01:56:43 PM
The left still thinks that we should throw money at the problem, they never seem to get the fact that is deeply insulting to all the people on lower wages who would never dream of stooping to such crimes. Anyway, we don't have the money  :lol:

Arming your police forces isn't free.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

KRonn

Quote from: Legbiter on August 11, 2011, 01:59:59 PM
Transport looters to the Falklands and let them stay there for at least 5 years as punishment.  ;)
Are the Falklands the UK's larger version of the US' Gitmo??   :ph34r:

Richard Hakluyt

My favoured solution that  :cool:

........and not the fleshpots of Post Stanley either, that would ruin the ambience in the Penguin Arms. No, somewhere in a remote part of West Falkland would be ideal. Who knows, after a few years they might evolve into something resembling an Australian  :hmm:

Martinus

I really wonder what you can do. Mrs Thatcher destroyed a lot of places where these people's parents worked. Now is the City prepared to have their status downgraded so Britain becomes home to traditional industry again?

KRonn

Well, if you tossed some cash and luxury items at the looters, that should help quiet them down! Or else slow them down enough grabbing the goods for the police to catch them!    ;)

Ideologue

I did like the part in that old man's article where he was talking wistfully about how they used to transport people.

Fuck, I want to be transported to Australia.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Richard Hakluyt

Quote from: Ideologue on August 11, 2011, 02:04:25 PM

Arming your police forces isn't free.

The spark for the riots was actually an over-zealous cop using his submachine gun to kill a gangster. No loss IMO, but despite the riots there is no desire to emulate Continental or American styles of policing. There are plenty of firearms cops in the UK, they are deployed when needed.

Martinus

"[Britain is] two nations between whom there is no intercourse and no sympathy; who are as ignorant of each other's habits, thoughts, and feelings, as if they were dwellers in different zones, or inhabitants of different planets. The rich and the poor."
- Benjamin Disraeli

Razgovory

I'm a leftist and I think you should just call the damn army in and put portions of London under Curfew for a few days.  Or a non-damned army, if they'll work.  or arm the Salvation Army and send them in.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Richard Hakluyt

Quote from: Martinus on August 11, 2011, 02:13:06 PM

I really wonder what you can do. Mrs Thatcher destroyed a lot of places where these people's parents worked. Now is the City prepared to have their status downgraded so Britain becomes home to traditional industry again?

I don't think that the rioters are desperate to get down a coal mine or start welding steel plates in a shipyard. There are plenty of opportunities for people to make a living in the UK. The woman leaping from the burning building in what is becoming an iconic image.......she is from Poland ( http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2024684/Croydon-riots-2011-Monika-Konczyk-woman-leapt-flames-pictured.html ). During the boom we had to rely on immigrants to fill posts.

Take a look at this http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_employment_rate .

The employment rate in the UK is nearly 70%, it is only 60% in Poland.

Or take a look at the average wage http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_average_wage

$43k in the UK and and only $18k in Poland...............these are PPP figures btw, the difference is even greater in real $.

Which is not to get at Poland, we had the riots and you guys didn't. But the idea that the cause was a lack of decent job opportunities in the UK is risible.