Britain burns - Chavs ruin civilization

Started by Tamas, August 07, 2011, 08:11:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Slargos on August 10, 2011, 02:22:50 PM
Martinus: "Dude. Keep your voice down or we'll all soon be covered in snow."

Grumbler: "Haha. You're an idiot. That is impossible. The sun is out and there's not a cloud in sight."

Martinus: "Shit, man. I told you so. Look!"

Grumbler: "Haha, you moron, there's still no snow on me."

Martinus: "..."

Grumbler: "..."

Grumbler laughs at mere snow. It is nothing to the chill of death which has been his constant companion for millennia.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Richard Hakluyt

Quote from: Sheilbh on August 10, 2011, 02:25:42 PM
Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on August 10, 2011, 12:01:21 PMA Malaysian accountancy student, poor bastard won a scholarship and has only been here a month. I find it a rather shaming story  :(
Group's been set up (via twitter) to pay for his mum to come and visit :)

QuoteRiots are a part of the British political system, a counterbalance to the overwhelming power of Parliament  ;)
I've been reading Peter Ackroyd's 'London' (I can't recommend it enough) and the section on the mob suggests that riots are very much part of London's life.

It doesn't involve giving your bank details to someone in Nigeria I hope  :huh: ?

Ackroyd's book is on my "to buy" list  :cool:

Martinus

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on August 10, 2011, 02:30:12 PM
Quote from: Slargos on August 10, 2011, 02:22:50 PM
Martinus: "Dude. Keep your voice down or we'll all soon be covered in snow."

Grumbler: "Haha. You're an idiot. That is impossible. The sun is out and there's not a cloud in sight."

Martinus: "Shit, man. I told you so. Look!"

Grumbler: "Haha, you moron, there's still no snow on me."

Martinus: "..."

Grumbler: "..."

Grumbler laughs at mere snow. It is nothing to the chill of death which has been his constant companion for millennia.

Indeed. Glaciers come and go all the time.

Ideologue

Quote from: Neil on August 10, 2011, 02:27:17 PM
Quote from: Ideologue on August 10, 2011, 12:53:25 PM
Quote from: Neil on August 10, 2011, 12:41:17 PM
Quote from: Ideologue on August 10, 2011, 12:20:33 PM
Quote from: Neil on August 10, 2011, 11:29:54 AM
Quote from: Ideologue on August 10, 2011, 10:23:53 AM
Quote from: DontSayBanana on August 09, 2011, 10:27:40 PM
Touche, but on the other hand, the Braddock siblings are almost as bad as Jean Grey and Madeline Pryor as far as dysfunctional families are concerned.  Not to mention Rachel Summers. :contract:
But Betsy Braddock and Rachel Summers were hot.
Kitty Pryde?
Who do I look like, Siegebreaker?
Didn't you read comics when you were a kid?
I think when I was a kid I had a crush on Jean Grey. :hmm:
You know, there were an awful lot of redheads in comic books of that period.  I think that someone at Marvel had a thing for redheads.

I found it easy to empathize with Kitty because she was young like me.

Redheads have always been way overrepresented in fiction in general, and comics in particular.

I mean, look at the Superman family.  Out of like eight major characters, three--all unrelated to one another--have red hair (well, three if you count Lex Luthor).

I think by the time I'd started reading comics, Kitty wasn't around in the X-Men.  I only know her through back issues.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Barrister

Quote from: HVC on August 10, 2011, 11:47:14 AM
Quote from: Slargos on August 10, 2011, 11:43:10 AM
Quote from: HVC on August 10, 2011, 11:38:36 AM
Quote from: Slargos on August 10, 2011, 11:36:28 AM
Quote from: Neil on August 10, 2011, 11:27:34 AM

He's a Slav, not a white.

For the purpose of determining who can be the victim of racism, polacks are white. Technicality.
what about porkchops? My family come from the middle, so not too white nor to dark. Am i white? :P

Depends. If you're dark enough to look like an arab you might be the victim of racism but given your european heritage and your canadian citizenship I would expect not.
i tan dark, but i'm rather fair (i think, those from the TO meet might disagree :lol: ).

You're a lovely fellow HVC, but I'm afraid you're not white. :(
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Slargos

Quote from: Barrister on August 10, 2011, 04:25:07 PM
Quote from: HVC on August 10, 2011, 11:47:14 AM
Quote from: Slargos on August 10, 2011, 11:43:10 AM
Quote from: HVC on August 10, 2011, 11:38:36 AM
Quote from: Slargos on August 10, 2011, 11:36:28 AM
Quote from: Neil on August 10, 2011, 11:27:34 AM

He's a Slav, not a white.

For the purpose of determining who can be the victim of racism, polacks are white. Technicality.
what about porkchops? My family come from the middle, so not too white nor to dark. Am i white? :P

Depends. If you're dark enough to look like an arab you might be the victim of racism but given your european heritage and your canadian citizenship I would expect not.
i tan dark, but i'm rather fair (i think, those from the TO meet might disagree :lol: ).

You're a lovely fellow HVC, but I'm afraid you're not white. :(

OMG raciss.  :x

Are there any pictures?

Martinus

Quote from: derspiess on August 10, 2011, 11:41:29 AM
Quote from: Martim Silva on August 10, 2011, 10:56:43 AM
Yes, but in Continental Europe and the US that also means "retarded idiot", for historical reasons.

Meh, if Spanish-speakers can say polaco without it being offensive, we can use 'Polack'.  I've never met any Poles or Polish-Americans who actually get offended by the term anyway.

QuoteVery much like calling a Pakistani a 'Paki'.

Except that calling someone with some Indian heritage a 'Paki' is lazy racism, as Brazen mentioned.  And in the UK, 'Paki' draws a much stronger reaction than 'Polack' ever has in the US.

I'm neither in the UK or the US. In Poland, Polack draws a strong reaction. :P

Martinus

Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on August 10, 2011, 12:01:21 PM
That fellow who had his backpack rifled whilst looters pretended to help him has been identified :

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-14476828

A Malaysian accountancy student, poor bastard won a scholarship and has only been here a month. I find it a rather shaming story  :(

Apparently, there is a website to help him and Playstation has offered to give him his console that was stolen, plus games. Same for some bike company which is going to give him a new bike. :)

Slargos

Quote from: Martinus on August 10, 2011, 04:33:44 PM
Quote from: derspiess on August 10, 2011, 11:41:29 AM
Quote from: Martim Silva on August 10, 2011, 10:56:43 AM
Yes, but in Continental Europe and the US that also means "retarded idiot", for historical reasons.

Meh, if Spanish-speakers can say polaco without it being offensive, we can use 'Polack'.  I've never met any Poles or Polish-Americans who actually get offended by the term anyway.

QuoteVery much like calling a Pakistani a 'Paki'.

Except that calling someone with some Indian heritage a 'Paki' is lazy racism, as Brazen mentioned.  And in the UK, 'Paki' draws a much stronger reaction than 'Polack' ever has in the US.

I'm neither in the UK or the US. In Poland, Polack draws a strong reaction. :P

It's funny, in Sweden and Norway there simply is no other term to describe a person from Poland, unless you want to go with "dumbass" or "daylabourer".

Of course, we pronounce it slightly differently.

"CO-ck SUCK-er"

Martinus

Slargos

No. But really.

Polack (Norwegian, Swedish): "A person of polish heritage"

Slargos

Can't actually think of a slur for polacks in Swedish. I guess we don't spend that much time talking about you to bother with one.

Although we do have an expression that goes, literally translated, "Polish Parliament" meaning "A lot of noise and/or bitching and/or fighting, but nothing useful gets done".

Neil

Quote from: Ideologue on August 10, 2011, 03:47:43 PM
Quote from: Neil on August 10, 2011, 02:27:17 PM
Quote from: Ideologue on August 10, 2011, 12:53:25 PM
Quote from: Neil on August 10, 2011, 12:41:17 PM
Quote from: Ideologue on August 10, 2011, 12:20:33 PM
Quote from: Neil on August 10, 2011, 11:29:54 AM
Quote from: Ideologue on August 10, 2011, 10:23:53 AM
Quote from: DontSayBanana on August 09, 2011, 10:27:40 PM
Touche, but on the other hand, the Braddock siblings are almost as bad as Jean Grey and Madeline Pryor as far as dysfunctional families are concerned.  Not to mention Rachel Summers. :contract:
But Betsy Braddock and Rachel Summers were hot.
Kitty Pryde?
Who do I look like, Siegebreaker?
Didn't you read comics when you were a kid?
I think when I was a kid I had a crush on Jean Grey. :hmm:
You know, there were an awful lot of redheads in comic books of that period.  I think that someone at Marvel had a thing for redheads.

I found it easy to empathize with Kitty because she was young like me.
Redheads have always been way overrepresented in fiction in general, and comics in particular.

I mean, look at the Superman family.  Out of like eight major characters, three--all unrelated to one another--have red hair (well, three if you count Lex Luthor).
Lana Lang is the only one that's a woman.  Compare that to Jean Grey and all her clones/extradimensional children, Natasha Romanoff, Colleen Wing, Theresa Cassidy, Angelica Jones, Mary Jane Watson-Parker, Medusa and Crystal from the Inhumans were all redheads.  The Scarlett Witch was auburn.  Marvel was a lot heavier on the redheads back in the day.
QuoteI think by the time I'd started reading comics, Kitty wasn't around in the X-Men.  I only know her through back issues.
I wasn't reading comics when she first appeared in 1980, but I definitely was by the time she moved in Excalibur in 88.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Ed Anger

Well fuck. It looks like this shit is over. My fun is over.  :cry:
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

HisMajestyBOB

Quote from: Martinus on August 10, 2011, 04:34:50 PM
Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on August 10, 2011, 12:01:21 PM
That fellow who had his backpack rifled whilst looters pretended to help him has been identified :

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-14476828

A Malaysian accountancy student, poor bastard won a scholarship and has only been here a month. I find it a rather shaming story  :(

Apparently, there is a website to help him and Playstation has offered to give him his console that was stolen, plus games. Same for some bike company which is going to give him a new bike. :)

If I'm ever mugged I hope someone catches it on video and posts it on YouTube.
Three lovely Prada points for HoI2 help