News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Hitchens preaches to the choir

Started by Slargos, August 05, 2011, 03:58:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Slargos

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CwuUKlArgps

He comes off like a fucking petulant child.

"Well I didn't vote for 'im."

Razgovory

As a communist, I would think he would already have an understanding of compulsory love and fear from an establishment figure.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Darth Wagtaros

Yes.  He is a tool.  Part of being a Euro.
PDH!

Ideologue

Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Razgovory

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Ideologue

Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Razgovory

Ideologue

Oh, Hitchslap.  I get it.

Russians aren't Europeans really, Raz.
Kinemalogue

Berkut

Thousands of preachers get up every week and preach their version of the gospel, koran, whatever.

Why is it so odious when a non-believer gets up and does a little preaching?

I mean, most of what he says is absolutely correct. The idea that human (or demi-human) sacrifice as a means of salvation is in fact morally pretty tough to justify...isn't it?
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Razgovory

He's ranting about a religious practice that hasn't taken place for two thousand years.  That seems a bit silly.  But he's one of your "tribe", isn't he Berkut?  Purple Dragxi etc.

Barrister

Quote from: Berkut on August 09, 2011, 10:18:31 PM
Thousands of preachers get up every week and preach their version of the gospel, koran, whatever.

I mean, most of what he says is absolutely correct. The idea that human (or demi-human) sacrifice as a means of salvation is in fact morally pretty tough to justify...isn't it?

It's not human sacrifice - it's self-sacrifice.  You know, the same kind of sacrifice you make for your kids, or your parents make for you.

Look - believe in Christianity or not - I don't care. (well I care somewhat, but it's a free country).  But as an attack this one is pretty lame.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Berkut

Quote from: Barrister on August 09, 2011, 11:27:36 PM

It's not human sacrifice - it's self-sacrifice.  You know, the same kind of sacrifice you make for your kids, or your parents make for you.

Look - believe in Christianity or not - I don't care. (well I care somewhat, but it's a free country).  But as an attack this one is pretty lame.

I cannot expunge the sins of my children via sacrifice. Their moral obligation for their actions is not effected in any way by anything I do.

If my kid murders someone, there is nothing *I* can do to take away their guilt. There is no sacrifice, of self or otherwise, I can make that can expunge their guilt. The idea that someone killing themselves in order to atone for others sin is in fact morally reprehensible by an objective standard of morality.

I might agree that as an attack on the concept of god dying so he can forgive us of sins we never actually committed ourselves it is pretty weak - but only because the entire idea is so ludicrous that it does seem a little odd to pick on that one aspect of worth of attention.

0 rows returned

Barrister

Quote from: Berkut on August 10, 2011, 12:01:31 AM
The idea that someone killing themselves in order to atone for others sin is in fact morally reprehensible by an objective standard of morality.

You're going to have to explain that one to me, because I do not follow at all how it is "morally reprehensible by an objective standard of morality".

and please - this is a serious question, and I will refrain from ad homs and the like.  I'm sure you can come up with some 'clever' quip to answer my question, but I am not interested in scoring points.  I would appreciate a serious answer, if you care to give one. :)
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Razgovory

Quote from: Barrister on August 09, 2011, 11:27:36 PM

I cannot expunge the sins of my children via sacrifice. Their moral obligation for their actions is not effected in any way by anything I do.

If my kid murders someone, there is nothing *I* can do to take away their guilt. There is no sacrifice, of self or otherwise, I can make that can expunge their guilt. The idea that someone killing themselves in order to atone for others sin is in fact morally reprehensible by an objective standard of morality.

I might agree that as an attack on the concept of god dying so he can forgive us of sins we never actually committed ourselves it is pretty weak - but only because the entire idea is so ludicrous that it does seem a little odd to pick on that one aspect of worth of attention.

You could plea guilty for the murder.  Claim you did it.  While it may not assuage guilt in the moral sense you could prevent your child from being punished.

Berkut

Quote from: Barrister on August 10, 2011, 12:10:22 AM
The idea that someone killing themselves in order to atone for others sin is in fact morally reprehensible by an objective standard of morality.

You're going to have to explain that one to me, because I do not follow at all how it is "morally reprehensible by an objective standard of morality".

and please - this is a serious question, and I will refrain from ad homs and the like.  I'm sure you can come up with some 'clever' quip to answer my question, but I am not interested in scoring points.  I would appreciate a serious answer, if you care to give one. :)

The basic story of Christ is that it was *necessary* for him to be tortured and murdered in order to atone for the sins of humanity (and even the idea of shared guilt for things one has not done is morally reprehensible). I am not sure how I can explain that a moral system that requires human sacrifice (even if it is fake human sacrifice since Christ was not actually human, and didn't actually die) to forgive the sins of others is not moral beyond the obvious.

0 rows returned