What Would Most Surprise A Visitor from 1991?

Started by Queequeg, August 04, 2011, 11:03:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barrister

We had cell phones in 1991.  Big ones - the size of a brick, but we had cell phones.

Modern smart phones are not all that remarkable compared to ancient cell phones - except for their ability to connect to the internet.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

HVC

Quote from: Barrister on August 05, 2011, 11:35:50 AM
We had cell phones in 1991.  Big ones - the size of a brick, but we had cell phones.

Modern smart phones are not all that remarkable compared to ancient cell phones - except for their ability to connect to the internet.
ya i remember the brick ones (saved by the bell :P ) the only reason i gave the bupm to smart phones is that they include internet.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Ideologue

Quote from: Ideologue on August 05, 2011, 11:27:12 AM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on August 05, 2011, 11:08:13 AM
Quote from: Martinus on August 05, 2011, 10:36:47 AM
Isn't Blade Runner set more or less in our times?

Depends on how you define "less".  You retard.
:lol:

Seriously, I can't stop laughing at this.

I've got to get to the off-world colonies.  A new life awaits.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

crazy canuck

If I visited directly from 1991 I would be surprised that everything was so fucked up.  In 1991 all things seemed possible.  The Cold War was over.  Peace and prosperity were supposed to follow.  Everyone was talking about the peace dividend.

And then somehow everything went wrong.

Ideologue

Quote from: crazy canuck on August 05, 2011, 12:27:22 PM
If I visited directly from 1991 I would be surprised that everything was so fucked up.  In 1991 all things seemed possible.  The Cold War was over.  Peace and prosperity were supposed to follow.  Everyone was talking about the peace dividend.

The Soviet Union falls, and, subsequently, the world goes to hell? :hmm:
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

crazy canuck

Quote from: Ideologue on August 05, 2011, 12:29:22 PM

Exactly WTF!

BuddhaRhubarb

all things computer/internet related. I recall all sorts of crazy future predictions from that era.... most of them easily done and surpassed now. Except NO FLYING CARS! motherfucjker I want my flying car.
:p

HVC

Quote from: crazy canuck on August 05, 2011, 12:32:04 PM

Exactly WTF!
World always needs a boogyman. Nothing changes.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".

HVC

Quote from: BuddhaRhubarb on August 05, 2011, 12:36:40 PM
all things computer/internet related. I recall all sorts of crazy future predictions from that era.... most of them easily done and surpassed now. Except NO FLYING CARS! motherfucjker I want my flying car.
Personally i want a robot butler.

Malthus

Quote from: HVC on August 05, 2011, 12:51:36 PM

How about a Roomba, for a robot maid?  ;)
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

HVC

Quote from: Malthus on August 05, 2011, 12:53:59 PM

not the same without the sassy back talk.

Malthus

Quote from: HVC on August 05, 2011, 12:54:50 PM
Quote from: Malthus on August 05, 2011, 12:53:59 PM

not the same without the sassy back talk.

And dressing a Roomba in a sexy french maid outfit is a bit of a fail.  :(
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Ideologue

Quote from: HVC on August 05, 2011, 12:51:07 PM

Exactly WTF!
World always needs a boogyman. Nothing changes.

Two billion Muslims and PRChinese can't make up for a hundred fifty million Russians?  That's racist, dude.
Kinemalogue

Ideologue

Exactly WTF!

Aren't a lot of our current ills also attributed to unrestrained capitalism? :shifty:
Kinemalogue

Razgovory

This makes me realize that while only twenty years have passed here in the US sixty or seventy years have passed in Portugal.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017