What Would Most Surprise A Visitor from 1991?

Started by Queequeg, August 04, 2011, 11:03:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Richard Hakluyt

The general repressiveness of "free" societies would probably be rather surprising. For sure I have been surprised repeatedly in the past few years by state interference in activities which have nothing to do with them.

The Brain

Btw we mustn't forget reality shows. Even if there had been some embryos they hardly existed as we know them now back in 91. When Survivor aired in Sweden in 97 it was a revelation.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

grumbler

Quote from: Zanza on August 05, 2011, 03:31:25 AM
To answer the original question, I would concur regarding the internet. It was just a toy for geeks and scientists back in 1991 and has reached billions nowadays. Mobile phones are another piece of technology that only really took off after 1991.
Moreover, the participation of the masses in creating internet content, and the extension of the internet community to children who aren't even teenagers yet, would both surprise our visitor, I think.

It isn't just the internet that makes a difference, it is the constant mobile access to the internet as well.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Siege

Quote from: The Brain on August 05, 2011, 03:02:31 AM
The internet-for-the-masses is clearly the big thing that's happened since 91. Ordinary people didn't think about the internet in 91.

9/11 and how freedom of speech is under siege in Europe is another thing that may be more surprising to a visitor from 91.

There is nobody under me, and I am not in Europe.
Oh wait...

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"

Eddie Teach

Congratulations on no longer being the least popular thing in Europe. :cheers:
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Neil

Well, they'd have to get used to the technology and the political landscape, but there haven't really been any transformative changes in the world since then.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Razgovory

Quote from: Tamas on August 05, 2011, 04:27:48 AM
Well regarding the freedom of speech argument - Monthy Python, especially Life of Brian

Today that movie would never see the light of day.

What makes you think that?
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Grey Fox

Very thin screens everywhere. That & the price of gas.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Martinus

Quote from: Tamas on August 05, 2011, 04:27:48 AM
Well regarding the freedom of speech argument - Monthy Python, especially Life of Brian

Today that movie would never see the light of day.

Are you kidding me?

Btw, you ignorant Hungarin prole, it was actually banned in several countries, one of them being Norway. So much for the argument that Scandinavia used to be such a fount of free speech in the past.  :rolleyes:

KRonn

Quote from: grumbler on August 05, 2011, 07:12:22 AM
Quote from: Zanza on August 05, 2011, 03:31:25 AM
To answer the original question, I would concur regarding the internet. It was just a toy for geeks and scientists back in 1991 and has reached billions nowadays. Mobile phones are another piece of technology that only really took off after 1991.
Moreover, the participation of the masses in creating internet content, and the extension of the internet community to children who aren't even teenagers yet, would both surprise our visitor, I think.

It isn't just the internet that makes a difference, it is the constant mobile access to the internet as well.
I think the internet has to be one of the most significant items, for all the reasons already said. Plus for all sorts of commerce, education, news and entertainment industries, and more, it's huge.  We can shop on the internet, do research on products, run businesses, and get info on virtually anything from the internet.

It's hard to remember what things were like before the internet.    :cool:

Martinus

I wonder what percentage of people would be unable to function if internet suddenly disappeared. I still remember the time when you would do a research at a library. I suspect most of the people who are now in their early 20s don't.

The Brain

Many kids today wouldn't know how to use a card catalog. Losers.

Slargos

Quote from: Martinus on August 05, 2011, 08:58:54 AM
I wonder what percentage of people would be unable to function if internet suddenly disappeared. I still remember the time when you would do a research at a library. I suspect most of the people who are now in their early 20s don't.

:rolleyes:

In your hypothetical scenario, far more people than the tweenies would be catastrophically affected since a lot of systems rely on networks today. Additionally, an event that takes down the Internet would need to be cataclysmic unless it's some sort of Skynet super virus so I think you'll have more pressing concerns than how to do research in a library.

"Omg ai wonder what wud happen if cars suddenli disappered!" YE GODS. :bleeding:

We need a "Warning! Timmay" smilie.

The Brain

Quote from: Slargos on August 05, 2011, 09:04:30 AM
"Omg ai wonder what wud happen if cars suddenli disappered!" YE GODS. :bleeding:

Buses and trucks would become more important.

alfred russel

They would of course be upset by the lack of flying cars. And also suprised that the US can't put people into space anymore, though the Russians can.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014