News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Holy Shit, Wall Street takes a dump on itself

Started by CountDeMoney, August 04, 2011, 05:52:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barrister

Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: CountDeMoney on August 04, 2011, 08:33:06 PM
For over the last year and a half, everyone's been pointing to the DJI as the barometer of economic health, proving we were comnig out of the recession.  Yay, we're up over 13,000! Yeah, sure.  "We".  What bullshit.

I haven't heard this a single time.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Admiral Yi on August 05, 2011, 04:55:27 PM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on August 04, 2011, 08:33:06 PM
For over the last year and a half, everyone's been pointing to the DJI as the barometer of economic health, proving we were comnig out of the recession.  Yay, we're up over 13,000! Yeah, sure.  "We".  What bullshit.

I haven't heard this a single time.

That's because you're not listening to anything else except the price of gold.

CountDeMoney

QuoteNEW YORK (Reuters) - Fear returned to Wall Street on Wednesday, sending the S&P 500 to another 4 percent decline, triggered by worries that Europe's debt crisis could engulf French banks and spill onto the U.S. financial sector.

Trading was once again marked by sharp moves on heavy volume. For a fifth straight day, the Dow industrials fluctuated in a range of more than 400 points.

"What you're seeing is a very short-term, direction-oriented market," said Eric Kuby, chief investment officer of North Star Investment Management Corp in Chicago.

Worries about the strength of French lenders, including Societe Generale, triggered a selloff in European and U.S. banks. Rumors about SocGen's financial health, which the bank denied, sent its shares tumbling 14.7 percent.

An index of European banks dropped 6.7 percent and the KBW index of U.S. bank stocks slid 4.9 percent as fear grew of a possible contagion of any French crisis. Bank of America Corp lost 10.9 percent to $6.77 and Goldman Sachs slid more than 10 percent to $110.34.

The Dow Jones industrial average lost 519.83 points, or 4.62 percent, to 10,719.94. The S&P 500 fell 51.77 points, or 4.42 percent, to 1,120.76. The Nasdaq Composite dropped 101.47 points, or 4.09 percent, to 2,381.05.

Wednesday's drop came a day after stocks rallied on the Federal Reserve's pledge to keep interest rates near zero for at least two more years.

Even after Tuesday's snap-back rally, the S&P 500 is down almost 18 percent from its 2011 closing high set April 29.

I LOL'd.

Viking

Quote from: Legbiter on August 04, 2011, 07:14:27 PM
Yep, things look pretty shitty. I dunno, do we need something like the Bretton-Woods again? Some grand bargain?

If everything goes to shit...again I'm moving the business to Norway.

Are you being lured with the promise of free daycare and contact with grandparents?
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Ed Anger

If it would make you feel better Seedy, I could post how much I've lost on paper these last 3 days.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Ideologue

I guess I'm glad I pulled my money out months ago and spent it.

: /
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

MadImmortalMan

You missed the stock trade thread. We had two jumpers today.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Ed Anger on August 10, 2011, 06:49:50 PM
If it would make you feel better Seedy, I could post how much I've lost on paper these last 3 days.

It would.  It actually would.

Ed Anger

Quote from: CountDeMoney on August 10, 2011, 08:55:12 PM
Quote from: Ed Anger on August 10, 2011, 06:49:50 PM

It would.  It actually would.

Around 63K.

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Tamas

Richard Hakluyt

Enough for 31 strollers and still have change to feed your family at a decent restaurant  :o

alfred russel

Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on August 11, 2011, 08:23:09 AM
Enough for 31 strollers and still have change to feed your family at a decent restaurant  :o

And Ed needs those 31 strollers.  :(
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014