What's your country's "national" specialty that is mostly exported?

Started by Martinus, August 03, 2011, 05:02:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

viper37

Quote from: Malthus on August 05, 2011, 12:59:03 PM
Quote from: Barrister on August 05, 2011, 10:56:26 AM
I've never associated BPs with huge portions.

Incedentally I was amused that during the Vancouver-Boston Stanley Cup series BPs was advertising on the rink boards with the word "Boston" stroked out, and calling themself Vancouver Pizza instead. :)

I dunno, whenever I've been to BP the portions have been big. It's a sort of somewhat upscale "strap the pizza feedbag on the whole family" kinda place.  ;)

Not, admittedly, to the degree of Montana's. That place is just obscene in terms of the amount of food they lay out.  :lol: 
there used to be a place like that in Quebec city, in the 80s, a restaurant with mega-huge plates.  Went bankrupt in the end, they were probably in advance of their time.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Brazen

Cecil

Quote from: Brazen on August 08, 2011, 04:11:51 AM
Football violence.

You seem to be lacking in this department lately though. Ages since I heard of any serious cases of hooliganism.

Razgovory

Quote from: Ideologue on August 05, 2011, 10:17:20 PM
Man, I can totally read French.  I'm putting that on my resume.  Of course it won't matter because I never raped a Pathan girl in the Khyber Pass.

Then you have never really lived.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Malthus

Man, I can totally read French.  I'm putting that on my resume.  Of course it won't matter because I never raped a Pathan girl in the Khyber Pass.

:huh:
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Ideologue

Quote from: Malthus on August 08, 2011, 08:21:17 AM

Just sour grapes; I received a rejection letter from the SSA indicating that they're not even looking at applicants who don't have a veteran's preference.

Seems kinda in bad taste now.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

garbon

Quote from: Ideologue on August 08, 2011, 09:32:53 AM

Just sour grapes because I lack veteran's preference, and hence was not referred for consideration for a job.

I understood. Cross reference your complaint in the OTT thread.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Ideologue

Quote from: garbon on August 08, 2011, 09:35:15 AM

Just sour grapes because I lack veteran's preference, and hence was not referred for consideration for a job.

I understood. Cross reference your complaint in the OTT thread.

:)

I mean, I sort of get it, it's part of the compensation you get for agreeing to maybe be shot at.  In retrospect, I think it might have been far more profitable to gamble the other possibility, that of getting paid to dick around in Barksdale or wherever for four years, than leverage years of future earnings that now seem very remote for a J.D.

But of course there are a lot of personal choices and mistakes that cloud that particular scrying pool.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Barrister

Just sour grapes; I received a rejection letter from the SSA indicating that they're not even looking at applicants who don't have a veteran's preference.

You know there is a way to fix that problem...
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Ideologue

Quote from: Barrister on August 08, 2011, 09:38:35 AM

Technically, I suppose, although I'm rather old for the military (albeit not for the JAG offices).  Still, that's how Colonel Kurtz got started, you know.  Ten years from now, I'd be hacking off insurgent limbs and leaving them in big piles in the village square, or at least giving bad advice on the legality thereof.
Kinemalogue

Neil

Quote from: Ideologue on August 08, 2011, 09:41:15 AM
Quote from: Barrister on August 08, 2011, 09:38:35 AM
Technically, I suppose, although I'm rather old for the military (albeit not for the JAG offices).  Still, that's how Colonel Kurtz got started, you know.  Ten years from now, I'd be hacking off insurgent limbs and leaving them in big piles in the village square, or at least giving bad advice on the legality thereof.
But Kurtz turned out to be right.  He was the prophet of the professional military.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Ideologue

RE: writing "fuck" on your airplane.

Question presented
Can you write "fuck" on your airplane?

Brief answer
You can't, because it's obscene.
Kinemalogue

DGuller

Not only is it obscene, but it also encourages people to do obscene things in public.

EDIT:  Bah, Ide edited his "fuck on your airplane".

Ideologue

Quote from: DGuller on August 08, 2011, 09:49:29 AM
Not only is it obscene, but it also encourages people to do obscene things in public.

EDIT:  Bah, Ide edited his "fuck on your airplane".

Typo. :P
Kinemalogue