News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

How the Germans saw D-Day

Started by Razgovory, August 03, 2011, 12:04:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syt

Pretty decent translation. At one point it should have used "flare", not "rocket." Also, when they show the captured paratroopers the subtitle says, "they can't believe the invasion is over", when in German voiceover it adds "for them."
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

DGuller

Quote from: Syt on August 03, 2011, 12:31:51 PM
Pretty decent translation. At one point it should have used "flare", not "rocket." Also, when they show the captured paratroopers the subtitle says, "they can't believe the invasion is over", when in German voiceover it adds "for them."
That last part is quite an enormous difference, I would think.  :blink:

Zanza

Quote from: KRonn on August 03, 2011, 12:11:13 PMCensored for some reason? It's a good tidbit of history, propaganda or not,  being a wartime newsreel.
No idea. Most Youtube videos that aren't available in Germany contain music and were "censored" by our version of RIAA. But with WW2 stuff it could also be that it is censored by Youtube so that they don't risk breaking the German anti-Nazi laws.

Syt

Quote from: Zanza on August 04, 2011, 04:18:17 AM
Quote from: KRonn on August 03, 2011, 12:11:13 PMCensored for some reason? It's a good tidbit of history, propaganda or not,  being a wartime newsreel.
No idea. Most Youtube videos that aren't available in Germany contain music and were "censored" by our version of RIAA. But with WW2 stuff it could also be that it is censored by Youtube so that they don't risk breaking the German anti-Nazi laws.

In which case it would very likely also be blocked by Austrians who are at least as rigorous as the German authorities in that regard.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

CountDeMoney

Here's how the Germans saw it:

grumbler

Quote from: Syt on August 04, 2011, 07:00:21 AM

In which case it would very likely also be blocked by Austrians who are at least as rigorous as the German authorities in that regard.
But if the censorship is extended past what is logical, you would expect enforcement to be inconsistent, so you wouldn't expect the Austrian authorities to censor the same things.  Inconsistent enforcement is what you would expect in the case of poorly-thought-out laws.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

The Brain

What about poorly thought in-laws?
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Ideologue

I'm filing this away for the next time some dumbass Euro argues why their speech regime is so benign.  "WHY DO YOU LOVE RACISM?"
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

derspiess

"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Drakken

Quote from: CountDeMoney on August 04, 2011, 07:01:34 AM

Here's how the Germans saw it:

Bet Sgt. Kaffekanne didn't see that one coming on his usual donkey trail.