July 2011 the hottest month ever in Austin, Texas

Started by Valmy, August 02, 2011, 07:50:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Valmy

And that is no small achievement...and I thought 2009 was unbearable.  If it was not for Air Conditioning I would move.  Oh and for you Euros 89.7F is 32C.

This July Was The Hottest Month Ever in Austin
By Nathan Bernier

Crack open an ice cold drink and give yourself a pat on the back: you just survived the hottest month in Austin history.

The average daily temperature for July 2011 was 89.7 degrees. The previous record for the hottest month was set in July 2009, when the average daily temperature was 89.5 degrees.

Don't expect it to get cooler anytime soon. The National Weather Service forecasts highs of 104 degrees or higher all week long.

If it's any consolation, it's not just Texas suffering through a heat wave. Furnace-like conditions are being reported across the United States.

"We not only have record highs, but also record high overnight lows, with temperatures staying way up in the 80's overnight," Weather Channel meteorologist Mark Ressler told USA Today.

http://www.kutnews.org/post/july-was-hottest-month-ever-austin

Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Martinus

Weird. Here it was probably one of the coldest summer in a long time - July has usually been the warmest month, but this year it has been mostly rain and the temperature between 13 and 20 Celsius (32C during summer is not unusual here).

Razgovory

Bleh, the heat has been terrible here as well.  Everyday the high is over 95 (and often in the hundreds), and the low is around 85 (falling to that about 2 in the morning).  And it's horribly humid as well.  It's 90 degrees right now, and it's going to get to 103 according to weather.com  I read that Texas is facing a drought as well.  We aren't, though it really hasn't rained any.  We still have some mild flooding though.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Ideologue

Pretty bad here, although in large part because of the shitty construction of my apartment.  If I don't give the air conditioner significant lead time, on the order of a couple of hours, by afternoon it gets up to about 85 or 90 in the house.

Yeah, this is worth another rent hike.  I'm out of here like last year as soon as I can manage it.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Neil

I think Edmonton set a new record for rainfall.

Fuck you, Somalia.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Liep

It's been 16,4°C average here in july and I think that's too high. With that and 5 times the normal rainfall it's been a hellish month.
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Barrister

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on August 02, 2011, 10:18:24 AM
Quote from: Liep on August 02, 2011, 10:13:46 AM
It's been 16,4°C average here in july and I think that's too high.

:blink:

16.4 average means half the time it's above 16.

16 is a perfect daytime high - but not an average.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

DGuller

Barrister

Quote from: DGuller on August 02, 2011, 10:27:14 AM
Quote from: Barrister on August 02, 2011, 10:19:42 AM
16.4 average means half the time it's above 16.
No, 16.4 median would mean that. :smarty:

I just knew some pinhead would come along and "correct" my post.  Thanks for being that pinhead. :hug:

KRonn

Massachusetts weather seems to be about normal for summer. We had a hot spell in July, hot and humid, but that's to be expected. We could use some rain; grass is burning out but that's pretty normal anyway.

Barrister

With all the rain my back lawn was about 8" high after being away two weeks.  I'd have been better off using a swather, rather than a lawn mower. <_<

Malthus

The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Admiral Yi

Heard on the radio that 3,500-4,000 cows croaked in Iowa from the heat.