Giffords in House for first time since shooting

Started by garbon, August 01, 2011, 06:57:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

garbon

http://news.yahoo.com/giffords-house-first-time-since-shooting-231457041.html

QuoteRep. Gabrielle Giffords returned to the House for the first time since she was shot last January, making a dramatic entrance Monday night during a crucial debt vote and drawing loud applause and cheers from surprised colleagues.

As lawmakers stood on the floor, staring up at the vote board, Giffords slowly made her way through an entrance on the Democratic side of the chamber. Applause built and rolled like a wave through the House as lawmakers realized that their colleague had returned.

On Jan. 8, Giffords, D-Ariz., was shot in the head in the parking lot of a Tucson grocery store while meeting with constituents. Six people were killed and 13 others, including Giffords, were wounded. The man charged in the shooting, Jared Lee Loughner, has pleaded not guilty to 49 charges

On the House floor, Giffords hugged and kissed fellow lawmakers. As time ticked off on the vote, Democrats and Republicans made their way toward her.

She cast her first vote — for the debt-limit bill — and left the Capitol.

"It means so much to our country ... to witness the return of our colleague who is the personification of courage, of sincerity, of admiration throughout the country," Democratic leader Nancy Pelosi of California told the House.

Giffords has been undergoing outpatient therapy in Houston since her release from the hospital in June.

Loughner was sent to a federal prison facility in Springfield, Mo., after a federal judge concluded he was mentally incompetent to stand trial.

:hmm:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

sbr

Razgovory

Pelosi is better then you garbon.  In every way a person can be be better then you.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

garbon

Quote from: Razgovory on August 01, 2011, 06:59:27 PM
Pelosi is better then you garbon.  In every way a person can be be better then you.

I don't want to be better then. :P
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

sbr

garbon

Quote from: sbr on August 01, 2011, 07:04:27 PM
Hmm, you renamed the thread.  :glare:

Something was going on when I tried to copy and paste the headline.

OttoVonBismarck

Good to see Rep. Giffords isn't so mentally retarded as to be unable to stumble into Congress and cast a vote.

No word yet on whether she can form coherent sentences, though. However given the long presence of persons such as Ted Kennedy, Robert Byrd, Ted Stevens, and Strom Thurmond the ability to form complete sentences is obviously not necessarily mandatory to participate in the Federal legislature.

grumbler

Quote from: OttoVonBismarck on August 01, 2011, 10:32:44 PM
Good to see Rep. Giffords isn't so mentally retarded as to be unable to stumble into Congress and cast a vote.

No word yet on whether she can form coherent sentences, though. However given the long presence of persons such as Ted Kennedy, Robert Byrd, Ted Stevens, and Strom Thurmond the ability to form complete sentences is obviously not necessarily mandatory to participate in the Federal legislature.
We survived "nukular" Dubya, we can survive zombie Giffords.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

11B4V

She'll do well then.
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

OttoVonBismarck

Quote from: grumbler on August 01, 2011, 10:36:43 PM

We survived "nukular" Dubya, we can survive zombie Giffords.

We also survived "nukular" engineer Jimmy Carter, navy ass clown.

Razgovory

Actually, I would like it if more Congressmen just voted rather then talked.  Most of what they say on the floor of Congress has little worth anyway.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

grumbler

Quote from: OttoVonBismarck on August 01, 2011, 10:38:43 PM
We also survived "nukular" engineer Jimmy Carter, navy ass clown.
True, though that was not hard,  He was not willing to destroy the American economy like Dubya was, though, so it hardly mattered.

Carter inherited a crap economy and passed on a crap economy.  The Dubya inherited economic gold and turned it into economic horseshit.  But blaming him is unfair, IMO.  The voters actually gave him a second term, knowing what was coming.  That's why their complaints about higher taxes get so little sympathy from me.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

DontSayBanana

Quote from: grumbler on August 01, 2011, 11:20:02 PM
True, though that was not hard,  He was not willing to destroy the American economy like Dubya was, though, so it hardly mattered.

Carter inherited a crap economy and passed on a crap economy.  The Dubya inherited economic gold and turned it into economic horseshit.  But blaming him is unfair, IMO.  The voters actually gave him a second term, knowing what was coming.  That's why their complaints about higher taxes get so little sympathy from me.

So you'd call the dot-com bubble and its subsequent crash "economic gold?" I'll agree that the economy took a nosedive under Dubya, but let's not overstate the condition the economy was in and would inevitably be in when Dubya took office.
Experience bij!

dps

Yeah, but those guys were all Senators.  We're talking about the House of Representatives here.

Eddie Teach

Quote from: grumbler on August 01, 2011, 11:20:02 PM

Blaming him is unfair because the President doesn't hold the power to magically fix the economy. Nor does Congress. Their efforts to do so probably hurt more than they helped, but our current problems were unavoidable, short of nuclear strikes on China and India.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?