News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Most Overrated President

Started by Kleves, July 23, 2011, 03:45:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mirror, mirror, on the wall, who's the most overrated of them all?

Jefferson
2 (3.9%)
TR
1 (2%)
FDR
9 (17.6%)
Truman
3 (5.9%)
JFK
10 (19.6%)
Reagan
20 (39.2%)
Bush I
0 (0%)
Clinton
2 (3.9%)
Other
4 (7.8%)

Total Members Voted: 50

Sheilbh

Quote from: Razgovory on July 24, 2011, 12:19:30 PMWashington can be considered great just one thing.  He quit.  Something so rare, and so important that King George called him "the greatest character of the age".  Oh he did other important things, other things that people have done and have been called great for it, but resigning his commission in the army and only serving two terms is perhaps the most important thing that separated the founding of the US from other colonies in the Americas, and most of the revolutionary regimes in the world.
No doubt.  He embodies the genius of the American revolution which was its radical conservatism.  It avoided the (alleged) excesses of the French revolution and I think the fundamentally counter-revolutionary fears that held back the Libertadores from achieving similar greatness.  You had a revolution of the propertied class - although, unfortunately, that property did often include men.

But that, in my view, is it.  In terms of achievements he is surrounded by greater men - but again that could add to his deserved reputation.

QuoteI'm tempted to say Lincoln or Washington, both are very highly-rated presidents who have not been included in the poll. This immunity or sanctity is suspicious
The more I read of Lincoln the more I think he's possibly the greatest statesman ever.  I think he's a genuinely extraordinary man.

QuoteWashington's resignation can't be overstated in importance.  It's why the American Republic survived and England's Republican under Cromwell did not (and Britain saw unrest and instability for nearly 100 years after).
Cromwell was always torn as to whether his purpose was, ultimately, to create a Godly commonwealth or to be the kindly constable who would 'set and heal the wounds'.  That ambiguity runs through the Commonwealth - especially institutionally. 

Interestingly, given his reputation as, if nothing else, a devout man, many of Cromwell's contemporaries suspected his religious feeling wasn't nearly as strong as he suggested and was, perhaps, manipulated for political advantage.

But the Commonwealth had other issues.
Let's bomb Russia!

Admiral Yi

Razgovory

The early US had plenty of issues to deal with as well, some which were not resolved without civil war, but even at it's most dire moments the federal institutions of government were maintained.  There are few states in the world that have so long a history of smooth continuity of government as the US.  Something that is a bit astonishing as it's one of the younger nations in the world.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Neil

I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Richard Hakluyt

Quote from: Sheilbh on July 28, 2011, 05:06:51 PM
QuoteI'm tempted to say Lincoln or Washington, both are very highly-rated presidents who have not been included in the poll. This immunity or sanctity is suspicious
The more I read of Lincoln the more I think he's possibly the greatest statesman ever.  I think he's a genuinely extraordinary man.

I am inclined to agree and I'm fairly certain that his assasination was a great tragedy for the USA, things would have gone a lot better under his oversight. However, he is rated 11 out of 10, so we have to at least entertain the possibility that he is overrated  :D

Martinus

Quote from: Sheilbh on July 28, 2011, 05:06:51 PM
You had a revolution of the propertied class - although, unfortunately, that property did often include men.
Both the French and the Russian revolutions started as revolutions of the propertied class. The thing is that they didn't end there.

If the American revolution took its ideals to the logical conclusion - the way the French and the Russian ones did - and freed the slaves, there would have been blood. Lots of it.

Martinus

I guess you could say that the reason why the American Revolution suceeded without a complete overhaul of the social order is because the enemy it had was weak - the British colonial rule simply did not have the same kind of resources the Russian or the French absolutism (including their external allies) could potentially throw to fight the revolutionaries.

That is why it did not need to resort to "summoning the chtonic forces" of the lower, property-less classes in order to win - it could do it without upsetting the middle class's dominance.

So, without detracting from Washington's statesmanship, the American revolutionaries simply had an easier time preventing a blood bath - they weren't necessarily more reasonable or ethical than their French or Russian fellows - they were just lucky.