News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Most overrated WW2 commander

Started by Threviel, July 28, 2011, 02:27:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Who is the most overrated commander of WW2?

Rommel
9 (17.3%)
von Manstein
0 (0%)
Guderian
0 (0%)
von Rundstedt
1 (1.9%)
Kesselring
0 (0%)
Montgomery
11 (21.2%)
Slim
0 (0%)
Auchinleck
0 (0%)
Bomber Harris
1 (1.9%)
Cunningham
0 (0%)
de Gaulle
2 (3.8%)
Eisenhower
0 (0%)
MacArthur
7 (13.5%)
Patton
11 (21.2%)
Nimitz
1 (1.9%)
Halsey
0 (0%)
Zhukov
5 (9.6%)
Rokossovsky
0 (0%)
Konev
0 (0%)
Vasilevsky
0 (0%)
Timoshenko
0 (0%)
Chiang Kai-Chek
0 (0%)
Mao
2 (3.8%)
Tito
0 (0%)
Yamashita
0 (0%)
Yamamoto
0 (0%)
Nagumo
0 (0%)
Mannerheim
0 (0%)
Jaron/other
2 (3.8%)

Total Members Voted: 51

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Ideologue on July 28, 2011, 02:48:12 PM
I don't mean he did a bad job, but rather am curious if there was a point was to the job itself, in light of the atomic bomb.  I mean, the achievement of the campaign in France, the Low Countries, and western Germany was the preemption of Soviet domination of central as well as eastern Europe.  But the achievement of the Philippines campaign seems far more ambiguous.

This is all hindsight, of course.

Interdiction of oil supplies from the Dutch East Indies to the home islands.

Razgovory

Couldn't they find a different place to interdict from then New  Guinea?  I mean, there's nothing fucking there, and it's kind of of out of the way.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Razgovory on July 28, 2011, 02:58:32 PM
Couldn't they find a different place to interdict from then New  Guinea?  I mean, there's nothing fucking there, and it's kind of of out of the way.

They didn't interdict them from New Guinea.  They went through New Guinea first to get to the Phillipines.

Ed Anger

Mac, Monty, and almost every Japanese commander in WWII (Let's make a giant elaborate plan!).

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Warspite

Quote from: Ed Anger on July 28, 2011, 03:43:04 PM
Mac, Monty, and almost every Japanese commander in WWII (Let's make a giant elaborate plan!).

Hmm, needs more "LOL MONTY'S STILL IN CAEN".

Disappointing, Ed, disappointing.
" SIR – I must commend you on some of your recent obituaries. I was delighted to read of the deaths of Foday Sankoh (August 9th), and Uday and Qusay Hussein (July 26th). Do you take requests? "

OVO JE SRBIJA
BUDALO, OVO JE POSTA

Ed Anger

Quote from: Warspite on July 28, 2011, 06:09:08 PM

Hmm, needs more "LOL MONTY'S STILL IN CAEN".

Disappointing, Ed, disappointing.

Monty is still whining to get a B-17 to fly around in.

Happy?
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

11B4V

Market-Garden
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Siege

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"

Zoupa

I don't get the Monty hate. Dude was the only one following a reasonable plan to get to Berlin and saving northern Europe from the Russkies, instead of retarded yankee ideas about a southern redoubt  :wacko:

Razgovory

Quote from: Zoupa on July 28, 2011, 08:34:16 PM
I don't get the Monty hate. Dude was the only one following a reasonable plan to get to Berlin and saving northern Europe from the Russkies, instead of retarded yankee ideas about a southern redoubt  :wacko:

There was no attempt "to save northern Europe form the Russkies".  The lines had already been drawn.  Monty's plan was a bad idea and it was poorly executed.  His progress on Caen is heavily criticized because of the vast gulf between what he said he could do and what he actually did.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

The Brain

Quote from: Zoupa on July 28, 2011, 08:34:16 PM

He was gay.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Barrister

Quote from: Threviel on July 28, 2011, 03:17:30 AM
Well, I tried to have at least one from every major combatant. Though I couldn't find any Italian to put there.

Canada? :yeahright:
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Razgovory

Quote from: Barrister on July 29, 2011, 12:25:52 AM
Well, I tried to have at least one from every major combatant. Though I couldn't find any Italian to put there.

I think you missed this word.  There wasn't a Slovak commander on the list either.

Threviel

Quote from: Razgovory on July 29, 2011, 01:08:10 AM
Quote from: Barrister on July 29, 2011, 12:25:52 AM

I think you missed this word.  There wasn't a Slovak commander on the list either.

What Raz said.

Zanza

Quote from: Razgovory on July 28, 2011, 09:00:08 PM
The lines had already been drawn.
Drawing lines without creating facts on the ground would hardly have convinced Stalin to uphold his end of the bargain.