Technological experiences current youths won't make anymore

Started by Syt, July 27, 2011, 12:41:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ed Anger

Quote from: Norgy on July 27, 2011, 06:11:53 PM
Quote from: mongers on July 27, 2011, 05:57:50 PM
How about day to day car maintenance or emergency repairs involving things like distributor caps, setting points or adjusting a carburettor; would younger people know what these were ? :unsure:

Not if they avoided British-made cars, no.

lolz. Vauxhall.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Richard Hakluyt

Ed Anger

Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on July 27, 2011, 07:30:02 PM
What's wrong with General Motors  :hmm: ?

In the 80's? Everything.

Ed Anger

Speaking of cars, I saw a Pinto on the road today. Haven't seen one of those running in a coon's age.

Richard Hakluyt

When I escaped the NE of England, back in the 70s, I worked for a few weeks at the Ford plant in Dagenham (East London). An amazing experience. Spent a couple of hours a day churning out car parts, the rest of the time was spent playing cards in the changing room and buying/selling things there. I'm sure this was not what the shareholders of Ford had intended when they made their large investment (about 40,000 employees at it's peak)...................what were they thinking of  :hmm: ?

Caliga

Quote from: Tyr on July 27, 2011, 12:58:05 PM
Surely in the present and for the forseeable future dos prompts will still exist?
Yeah.  I still have to do shit via command prompt on occasion.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Caliga

Quote from: Tonitrus on July 27, 2011, 04:58:00 PM
I can confirm as recently as a couple weeks ago, that a Washington State ferry still has its classic Pacman machine.
The New Jersey (Cape May-Lewes ferry) still has one too, as of last week.

Ed Anger

Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on July 27, 2011, 07:40:09 PM
When I escaped the NE of England, back in the 70s, I worked for a few weeks at the Ford plant in Dagenham (East London). An amazing experience. Spent a couple of hours a day churning out car parts, the rest of the time was spent playing cards in the changing room and buying/selling things there. I'm sure this was not what the shareholders of Ford had intended when they made their large investment (about 40,000 employees at it's peak)...................what were they thinking of  :hmm: ?

Sounded like a good job.  :)

Caliga

Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on July 27, 2011, 07:40:09 PM
Meh, they should have known better if they were running operations in Britain. :rolleyes:

Grey Fox

Quote from: Admiral Yi on July 27, 2011, 12:51:48 PM
Quote from: Grey Fox on July 27, 2011, 12:43:42 PM
You know what I find funny?

How we represent saving in computer programs by an diskette icon.

How are you suppose to know that means saving if you've never seen a diskette?

Or how are people who live in high rises supposed to know that the little house represents your home page?

They have seen houses, there are houses in the world. There isn't many diskettes left anymore.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: Grey Fox on July 27, 2011, 08:08:52 PM

Or how are people who live in high rises supposed to know that the little house represents your home page?

They have seen houses, there are houses in the world. There isn't many diskettes left anymore.

Guess what, one used to save or even play games from tapes/cassettes. The same ones used by the Walkman...

garbon

Quote from: Duque de Bragança on July 27, 2011, 08:48:17 PM
Quote from: Grey Fox on July 27, 2011, 08:08:52 PM

Guess what, one used to save or even play games from tapes/cassettes. The same ones used by the Walkman...

Which has no relevance to what he said. :o
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Barrister

How about typing in a computer game code from a magazine in order to play a game...

I bought my kid one of those classic Fisher Price toy phones.  I realized that as it was a rotary phone my kid will have no idea what it is supposed to represent.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Razgovory

Quote from: Barrister on July 27, 2011, 10:35:01 PM
How about typing in a computer game code from a magazine in order to play a game...

I bought my kid one of those classic Fisher Price toy phones.  I realized that as it was a rotary phone my kid will have no idea what it is supposed to represent.

Do Consoles still use cheat codes?  I honestly don't know.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

DGuller

Young people today don't know what it's like to get 5 AOL CDs in a month in mail.