Test Your Vocab

Started by garbon, July 27, 2011, 11:21:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Razgovory

Quote from: Ed Anger on July 27, 2011, 06:57:34 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on July 27, 2011, 05:41:28 PM
Quote from: Martinus on July 27, 2011, 05:10:37 PM

I guess "bronze age" wasn't on there.

I got bored halfway through the second page and stopped.  Bleh.

Or 'stat'

I have better things to do then try to join the Internet Mensa club.  Like stare blankly at a wall, or lance carbuncles on my ass.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Ideologue

That first page is pretty fucking useless.  A five year old's grasp of English can probably be assumed.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Admiral Yi

I didn't know the last 3 on the 1st page.

Brazen

36,900. I'm out-Englished by the non-English and those who don't use their vocabulary for a living :(

Ideologue

Quote from: Admiral Yi on July 28, 2011, 01:25:07 AM

Ok, amended to "most of."  There were a couple of page 1 I didn't know either, but I meant the majority of the words were roughly the same level as "couch" or "car."
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Martinus

Quote from: Admiral Yi on July 28, 2011, 01:25:07 AM

From the first page, I didn't only know what "prig" is. I have never seen the word "uxorcide" before but figured out it's like "fratricide" or "patricide" only that you are ciding your uxor and not your frater or pater. :P

Some of the words you pick up from silly stuff, like roleplaying games (for example "legerdemain" :P).

jimmy olsen

Disappointingly low.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Oexmelin

Quote from: Brazen on July 28, 2011, 03:22:43 AM
36,900. I'm out-Englished by the non-English and those who don't use their vocabulary for a living :(

A lot of them are quite easy for a francophone, since they are essentially French words wholly imported (bruit, embonpoint) or latin words (regnant). It is with the colloquialisms, or old words, that I had some problems.
Que le grand cric me croque !

Ideologue

Was it just me, or was there a dearth of scientific and other technical terms?  No "boson" or "replevin."
Kinemalogue

garbon

Quote from: Razgovory on July 27, 2011, 07:26:24 PM
I have better things to do then try to join the Internet Mensa club.  Like stare blankly at a wall, or lance carbuncles on my ass.

I have a job so I've all the time in the world. :blush:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Malthus

Quote from: Ideologue on July 28, 2011, 12:21:49 AM

That first page is pretty fucking useless.  A five year old's grasp of English can probably be assumed.

Dude, it is a test meant to be used by five-year-olds as well as law school graduates. Having a range of words allows for this.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

FunkMonk

Quote from: garbon on July 28, 2011, 08:31:50 AM
Quote from: Razgovory on July 27, 2011, 07:26:24 PM

I have a job so I've all the time in the world. :blush:
:lol:
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

Ideologue

Quote from: Malthus on July 28, 2011, 08:55:00 AM
Quote from: Ideologue on July 28, 2011, 12:21:49 AM

Dude, it is a test meant to be used by five-year-olds as well as law school graduates. Having a range of words allows for this.

It is?  I thought it was for adults. -_-
Kinemalogue

Malthus

Quote from: Ideologue on July 28, 2011, 02:37:53 PM
It is?  I thought it was for adults. -_-

From the test:

QuoteWorks for everyone, from small children (with parental help) to college professors!
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius