No - I'm a Puppet of the Slave Power
23 (48.9%)
Other - Gutless and Indecisive
2 (4.3%)

Total Members Voted: 46

The Brain

Quote from: Slargos on July 27, 2011, 03:22:55 AM
Quote from: The Brain on July 27, 2011, 03:18:56 AM
I like how starting a devastating civil war with hundreds of thousands killed is seen as something positive that may justify acts of terrorism.
where would we be today without all the acw games? net good.

Last I played was North & South. I think I'd survive.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

PDH

John Brown's impact was not his idiotic attacks, but rather his public face on trial.  Coming across as a doomed messianic man, bent and wracked by the struggles he faced, ended up with far more impact than a botched attack on Harpers Ferry.

It was a revolution only in his twisted mind, but it was public theater of the finest order in the court room.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Martinus on July 27, 2011, 03:21:05 AM
I disagree with the last part of your analysis. If you accept that it is permissible to use violence in defense of liberty and life of those unlawfully deprived of it (in this case slaves), the violence is permitted both by those who are directly oppressed and those who stand up in their defense.

Then you agree with the last part of my analysis, because that is what the last part says: "His enjoyment of those rights does not make slavery any less an evil and thus if one accepts slavery to be a basic moral wrong (as I do) his taking violent action in aid of the oppressed is morally justified."

BTW same response to ideologue.  I am not disputing the justness of Browns action, thought that was quite clear.  I am disputing ideologue's claim that the State cannot legitimately punish him simply because he acted justly.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Ideologue

It was clear.  I'm not clear on what your limit for a "legitimate" state is, except it's a lot higher than mine--which is fair enough, since I've taken a rather hard line on political legitimacy that "outlaws" about 99% of states which have ever existed, and probably more than half of the states which presently exist.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Slargos

States don't care whether you find them legitimate or not, Ide. You're insignificant.

Ideologue

Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Slargos

dps

Norgy

Quote from: Ideologue on July 27, 2011, 04:29:47 PM
I hear the wind.

Must be the cabbage I ate. Sorry.

To answer the question... ten-fifteen years ago I would've supported violence as a means to an end. Today, no. I've come to the conclusion that revolutionary violence leads to few or no immediate positives and that any political movement justifying violence as a "necessity" for a better future inevitably will use the same logic once in power and be impervious to criticism.

Slargos

Norgy

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Norgy on July 27, 2011, 05:12:13 PM
Quote from: Ideologue on July 27, 2011, 04:29:47 PM
I hear the wind.

Must be the cabbage I ate. Sorry.

To answer the question... ten-fifteen years ago I would've supported violence as a means to an end. Today, no. I've come to the conclusion that revolutionary violence leads to few or no immediate positives and that any political movement justifying violence as a "necessity" for a better future inevitably will use the same logic once in power and be impervious to criticism.
Did Washington and co. have this problem? Did the abolitionists during reconstruction? :hmm:
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Neil

Quote from: Ideologue on July 27, 2011, 04:10:43 PM
It was clear.  I'm not clear on what your limit for a "legitimate" state is, except it's a lot higher than mine--which is fair enough, since I've taken a rather hard line on political legitimacy that "outlaws" about 99% of states which have ever existed, and probably more than half of the states which presently exist.
Then that means your 'hard line' is wrong.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Norgy

The American "Revolution" was no revolution, but a powergrab from an already entrenched elite. It doesn't count. By the same accord, Norway's constitution of May 17th would be a revolution. It wasn't.

The abolitionists did not succeed in a revolution. Lincoln, as far as I can tell was elected. And swamping occupied territory with your own people is hardly revolutionary. In that case, the British, American and French occupation of Germany was "revolutionary". The violence probably wasn't primarily of their making, either, rather by a bunch of Southerners deciding now was an excellent time to revolt. So... the revolution you'd be looking for was in the South.

Now go bother someone else.

citizen k

Quote from: Norgy on July 27, 2011, 06:49:33 PM
The American "Revolution" was no revolution, but a powergrab from an already entrenched elite. It doesn't count. By the same accord, Norway's constitution of May 17th would be a revolution. It wasn't.

Reactionary.