No - I'm a Puppet of the Slave Power
23 (48.9%)
Other - Gutless and Indecisive
2 (4.3%)

Total Members Voted: 46

Syt

Quote from: The Brain on July 26, 2011, 12:57:33 AM
Don't know what John Brown did.

His body lies smoldering in his grave. And he was portrayed by Johnny Cash in North & South. The tv show, not the Infogrames game.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Syt on July 26, 2011, 01:43:50 AM
Quote from: The Brain on July 26, 2011, 12:57:33 AM
Don't know what John Brown did.

His body lies smoldering in his grave. And he was portrayed by Johnny Cash in North & South. The tv show, not the Infogrames game.
:punk:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bSSn3NddwFQ
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Martinus

I made a bunch of posts, but then noted that a number of people made the same points already so deleted them. Agree with Ide and Mihali. Also agree with OvB about his characterization of slavery as a crime against natural law and thus trumping any formal laws any regime may put in place.

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

The Brain

Quote from: Martinus on July 26, 2011, 02:06:29 AM
I made a bunch of posts, but then noted that a number of people made the same points already so deleted them. Agree with Ide and Mihali. Also agree with OvB about his characterization of slavery as a crime against natural law and thus trumping any formal laws any regime may put in place.

Are you sure you want to support the idea of natural law? As a gay man?

The Brain

Didn't John Brown have a vote btw? Drawn to the logical extreme if you are dictator in a country with unjust laws you should start killing people instead of changing the laws. Interesting idea.

Ideologue

Quote from: The Brain on July 26, 2011, 02:18:42 AM
Didn't John Brown have a vote btw? Drawn to the logical extreme if you are dictator in a country with unjust laws you should start killing people instead of changing the laws. Interesting idea.

Stalin was only trying to make his voice heard. :(
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Richard Hakluyt

Quote from: Ideologue on July 25, 2011, 10:20:10 PM
Actually, I'd be interested in hearing the people who condemn Brown try to justify the American Revolution.

The American revolutionaries were correct that their ancient liberties were being infringed, at which point it becomes acceptable to protect those liberties. It was the Crown that was engaged in revolutionary violence. The situation escalated from there.

Oh, and John Brown was wrong to go on his murderous rampage.

dps

Actually, I'd be interested in hearing the people who condemn Brown try to justify the American Revolution.

Hmm.  I must have missed history class the day the teacher talked about the times that Benjamin Franklin and Thomas Jefferson went through small towns in Britian murdering civilians.

Ideologue

Quote from: dps on July 26, 2011, 03:09:41 AM

Hmm.  I must have missed history class the day the teacher talked about the times that Benjamin Franklin and Thomas Jefferson went through small towns in Britian murdering civilians.

The point is not the targeting of civilians, but rather whether the government (or governments, specifically those of Virginia and other southern states) could be legitimately targeted.

We can argue tactics all night long.  Like OvB, I believe Brown's plan, such as it was, was fundamentally flawed.  It was essentially Underpants Gnome warfare.

And some people don't believe in collective responsibility, which is a reasonable conclusion, although I don't share it.  On the other hand, targeting slaveowners themselves and armed partisans is hardly "collective," is it?  And even then, you cannot realistically state that Virginian civilians would have remained noncombatant in the face of slave uprising.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Martinus

Quote from: The Brain on July 26, 2011, 02:15:24 AM
Quote from: Martinus on July 26, 2011, 02:06:29 AM

Are you sure you want to support the idea of natural law? As a gay man?

It's one of these cases where I believe the expression means something else than everyone else. :P

But seriously, the concept of natural law (ius gentium) is an old one and only recently has been used to attack gays. It also does not mean "law of nature".

Martinus

Quote from: Ideologue on July 26, 2011, 02:33:29 AM
Quote from: The Brain on July 26, 2011, 02:18:42 AM

Stalin was only trying to make his voice heard. :(

Stalin's Russia was a one man-one vote democracy. Stalin was the man and and he had the vote.*

*Shamelessly stolen from Terry Pratchett. :P

Slargos

No.

While slavery is an abomination, the methods he used were unacceptable.

Martinus

Quote from: Slargos on July 26, 2011, 04:50:46 AM
No.

If use of violence is not allowed in defense of life and freedom of a human being, then when is it allowed?

Slargos

Quote from: Martinus on July 26, 2011, 06:25:18 AM
Quote from: Slargos on July 26, 2011, 04:50:46 AM
No.

If use of violence is not allowed in defense of life and freedom of a human being, then when is it allowed?

Oh, we're talking about white slavery?

Well that's an entirely different question.

Wish you would've said so to begin with.

Then, yes. Obviously.