Vince Cable: Right wing nutters threaten financial markets

Started by Martinus, July 24, 2011, 02:10:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

derspiess

Quote from: Ed Anger on July 25, 2011, 08:05:59 AM
Quote from: Jacob on July 25, 2011, 12:38:40 AM
Quote from: derspiess on July 24, 2011, 10:52:09 PM
You know what you Euros ought to do?  Organize a letter-writing campaign to tell American voters how to vote next year.

No way that could backfire  :lol:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2004/oct/21/uselections2004.usa4

TWAS ONLY A BIT O FUN GUV'NOR!

SHHHHHHHHH.     :ph34r:
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Neil

Quote from: Warspite on July 25, 2011, 09:41:31 AM
Quote from: Neil on July 24, 2011, 07:23:28 PM
Cable isn't exactly respected or credible.
He isn't?
No, he isn't.  His run as interim leader and his boasts about resignation have taken the lustre off of him.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Zoupa

Quote from: Gups on July 25, 2011, 04:57:31 AM
You know what you Euros ought to do?  Organize a letter-writing campaign to tell American voters how to vote next year.

Good idea but who will deliver the letters?

^_^

Bien joué.

11B4V

Quote from: Martinus on July 24, 2011, 02:16:34 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on July 24, 2011, 02:12:34 PM
Who's Vince Cable?  Did he invent cable TV?

He is the British business secretary - sort of like the minister of trade and whatnot.

Than he is a nobody that doesnt matter.
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Admiral Yi

I don't get it Gups.

Zoupa

Quote from: Admiral Yi on July 25, 2011, 02:00:22 PM

I don't get it Gups.

Seriously?

Who's going to pay the postman if you guys default?

Warspite

I'm going to start a chain letter saying that if the US defaults and cant pay essential public services, then the internet will stop working. But the US Internet Authority has said for every address this is forwarded to that means 1 cent towards their running costs.
" SIR – I must commend you on some of your recent obituaries. I was delighted to read of the deaths of Foday Sankoh (August 9th), and Uday and Qusay Hussein (July 26th). Do you take requests? "

OVO JE SRBIJA
BUDALO, OVO JE POSTA

derspiess

Quote from: Zoupa on July 25, 2011, 02:06:36 PM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on July 25, 2011, 02:00:22 PM

I don't get it Gups.

Seriously?

Who's going to pay the postman if you guys default?

Kevin Costner, of course.

I was just as perplexed as Yi, btw.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Gups

Subtlety and the internet: two OK things that go shit together

Jacob

Quote from: Gups on July 25, 2011, 04:55:43 PM

It was a difficult pitch. Many Americans don't see the connection between the taxes they don't want to pay and the services they take for granted.

Admiral Yi

Well, in defense of the dullards, the US Post Office is primarily funded by stamps.  This revenue stream would not be affected by a default.  On the other hand it does recieve an operating subsidy from the general fund, so Gups' comment does have some traction.

Habbaku

Quote from: Admiral Yi on July 25, 2011, 05:04:12 PM
On the other hand it does recieve an operating subsidy from the general fund, so Gups' comment does have some traction.

The small subsidy it does receive isn't used for general operations.  They stopped receiving the big money back in the '80s.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

citizen k

Quote from: Jacob on July 25, 2011, 05:00:55 PM
Quote from: Gups on July 25, 2011, 04:55:43 PM

It was a difficult pitch. Many Americans don't see the connection between the taxes they don't want to pay and the services they take for granted.

If the U.S. defaulted, the mail would still flow.

Palisadoes

I think dear Vince is letting his ideology get in the way on this one: it takes two to tango, and it is not just the "right-wing nutters" who are holding up this supply bill (or whatever it is), but also the Democrats.