Vince Cable: Right wing nutters threaten financial markets

Started by Martinus, July 24, 2011, 02:10:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Neil

Quote from: Palisadoes on July 25, 2011, 06:49:03 PM
I think dear Vince is letting his ideology get in the way on this one: it takes two to tango, and it is not just the "right-wing nutters" who are holding up this supply bill (or whatever it is), but also the Democrats.
The Republicans do deserve more blame than the Democrats though.  At least the Democrats are willing to talk about cuts, even though they're somewhat disingenuous about it and we all know that talking about cutting things in five years is the same as not cutting them at all.  The Republicans are trying to push a poison doctrine of ever-lower taxes, and so are crazier.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

derspiess

Quote from: Neil on July 25, 2011, 07:22:42 PM
I think dear Vince is letting his ideology get in the way on this one: it takes two to tango, and it is not just the "right-wing nutters" who are holding up this supply bill (or whatever it is), but also the Democrats.
The Republicans do deserve more blame than the Democrats though.  At least the Democrats are willing to talk about cuts, even though they're somewhat disingenuous about it and we all know that talking about cutting things in five years is the same as not cutting them at all.  The Republicans are trying to push a poison doctrine of ever-lower taxes, and so are crazier.

The GOP is not trying to lower taxes.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Grey Fox

Quote from: derspiess on July 26, 2011, 09:52:59 AM

That's where this is leading tho.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Ed Anger

Quotetho.

So, is it that hard to finish typing out 'though'?

Reading 'tho' makes me think you are a 13 year old texting us. Damn kids these days. No respect.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Grey Fox

frunk

You mean other than the Bush tax cuts that were supposed to be a temporary stimulus, and have now become effectively permanent?  Despite the fact that if they had been rolled back on time this mess wouldn't be nearly as bad?

derspiess

Quote from: Grey Fox on July 26, 2011, 09:57:05 AM
That's where this is leading tho.

Hopefully not.  *If* the GOP gets its way and gets spending cuts without tax increases, and then later proceeds to push for significant tax cuts (aside from measures that also eliminate some loopholes/deductions to make it revenue-neutral or even positive), I'll break ranks with them. 

"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

derspiess

Quote from: frunk on July 26, 2011, 10:37:25 AM
You mean other than the Bush tax cuts that were supposed to be a temporary stimulus, and have now become effectively permanent?

Oh great, are we going to have to debate semantics now?

QuoteDespite the fact that if they had been rolled back on time this mess wouldn't be nearly as bad?

By the same token, if we had cut spending (or at curtailed rate of spending increases), this mess also wouldn't be nearly as bad.

Ed Anger

Quote from: Grey Fox on July 26, 2011, 10:31:15 AM
It's a coping mechanism. Get over it.

Coping with hair loss? Erectile Dysfunction? Let Dr. Feelgood help you.

-Dr. Feelgood.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

garbon

I love how this whole bit is making everyone so political in my office. One of our programmers proposed eliminating income tax and raising the sales tax...
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Grey Fox

Quote from: Ed Anger on July 26, 2011, 11:22:19 AM
Quote from: Grey Fox on July 26, 2011, 10:31:15 AM
It's a coping mechanism. Get over it.

Coping with hair loss? Erectile Dysfunction? Let Dr. Feelgood help you.

-Dr. Feelgood.

Inability to spell words with the H sound, especially those that have it multiple time.

Maximus

Grey Fox

Admiral Yi

Quote from: frunk on July 26, 2011, 10:37:25 AM
You mean other than the Bush tax cuts that were supposed to be a temporary stimulus, and have now become effectively permanent?  Despite the fact that if they had been rolled back on time this mess wouldn't be nearly as bad?

Good Lord, are there really people out there that think the Bush tax cuts got extended by the Republicans? :huh:

Razgovory

Eh?  Several of the Republican proposals involve tax cuts.  I think the Ryan plan that Yi has such a hard on for, includes some tax cuts.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017