Conspiracy Theory Poker - I'll See Yours And Raise This One.

Started by mongers, July 24, 2011, 12:31:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

grumbler

Quote from: The Brain on July 25, 2011, 10:17:15 AM
Quote from: Zeus on July 25, 2011, 10:15:14 AM
One of the more famous ones (In America) would have to be McCarthyism.
:rolleyes: It did actually exist you know.
Can you prove it, without relying on suspect historical materials?
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Grey Fox

The Apollo program was abandoned because when 11 landed, Aliens informed Nixon that the moon was offlimit & should not return there.

He was allowed 6 more landing tho. Which should be credited to his surprisingly awesome negotiation skills.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Zeus

Quote from: The Brain on July 25, 2011, 10:17:15 AM

:rolleyes: It did actually exist you know.
Riiiiight riiiight.  :shutup:
To be cunning and vicious is a fairly obvious shortcut to total victory.

Razgovory

What about the one where there is a race of robotic dwarves who live in the center of the Earth and kidnap women to rape and torture them.  This one is not clear how many actually believed it (since it was originally couched in fiction), but the author certainly did and there's evidence that others did as well.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Admiral Yi

Quote from: jimmy olsen on July 25, 2011, 05:38:59 AM
Quote from: Ideologue on July 25, 2011, 04:29:58 AM
Those people who think aspartame kills you.  Why aren't I dead, dudes?

I mean, I've got my problems, but if aspartame is as poisonous as some people think I'm betting 12-20 diet sodas a day for ten years probably would leave a more marked effect than a caffeine addiction.
Dude, do you have any fucking teeth left?

Why would a person lose their teeth from drinking diet soda? :huh:

Razgovory

This is somewhat forgotten today.  The thrust of McCarthy's (and other Republicans) arguments at the time was not just that the government had communists in it.  That the communists in the State Department somehow caused China to go communist, which is of course absurd.  This was largely a populist argument to win the election of 1950 ( which was successful).  It quickly spiraled out of control to the point where partisans were attacking the army and even accusing Eisenhower of being a communist, at that point it Republicans moved to put a stop to it.  I think it should be seen as a manifestation of Conservative populism that seems to creep up every so often.  Today it's the Tea Party, in the 1990's it was the Militia Movement etc.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Razgovory

Quote from: Admiral Yi on July 25, 2011, 01:58:30 PM

I mean, I've got my problems, but if aspartame is as poisonous as some people think I'm betting 12-20 diet sodas a day for ten years probably would leave a more marked effect than a caffeine addiction.

Lizard People.

Malthus

Quote from: Admiral Yi on July 25, 2011, 01:58:30 PM

Curb-stomped by angry milk retailors?  :hmm:
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Josquius

Bildeberg- did you know that people who attend that meeting then become powerful?
██████
██████
██████

Ideologue

Quote from: Razgovory on July 25, 2011, 01:31:55 PM
What about the one where there is a race of robotic dwarves who live in the center of the Earth and kidnap women to rape and torture them.  This one is not clear how many actually believed it (since it was originally couched in fiction), but the author certainly did and there's evidence that others did as well.

Where did the robotic dwarves come from? :unsure:  Thetans?
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Tonitrus

You clearly got the conspiricy wrong.  The Sasquatches live towards the center of the Earth, not robot dwarves.   :rolleyes:

Razgovory

Quote from: Ideologue on July 25, 2011, 04:08:18 PM

Dero, DEtrimental Robots.  Weird bullshit back in the 1940's.  Was published in the pulps, with claims that it is true.  It was moderately popular for a while.  It turned out the author was a mental patient and his stuff was rewritten by the  publisher.  It's not clear if publisher believed or disbelieved it.

Another one is that Wilhelm Reich was being persecuted by the Government because of his findings.  Reich had been a respected psychologist and student of Freud.  As he got older his work became stranger and stranger, to the point where he thought he could channel sexual energy to create clouds.  Or destroy clouds, I forgot.  UFO eventually got involved.

Camerus

Now I feel better about my 2-3 diet sodas a day.   :huh:

Ideologue

Quote from: Razgovory on July 25, 2011, 08:06:19 PM
Quote from: Ideologue on July 25, 2011, 04:08:18 PM

Dero, DEtrimental Robots.  Weird bullshit back in the 1940's.  Was published in the pulps, with claims that it is true.  It was moderately popular for a while.  It turned out the author was a mental patient and his stuff was rewritten by the  publisher.  It's not clear if publisher believed or disbelieved it.

Another one is that Wilhelm Reich was being persecuted by the Government because of his findings.  Reich had been a respected psychologist and student of Freud.  As he got older his work became stranger and stranger, to the point where he thought he could channel sexual energy to create clouds.  Or destroy clouds, I forgot.  UFO eventually got involved.

Orgone is real, dude.  I use it to power my alternative fuel vehicle.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)