News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Bloom County or Doonesbury?

Started by Tonitrus, July 24, 2011, 02:31:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Which was the superior political satire comic series of the 1980's?

Bloom County
19 (76%)
Doonesbury
6 (24%)

Total Members Voted: 25

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

PDH

Bloom County.

I went to University and I had a Bloom County T-Shirt, some girl thought it was cute at orientation and I got laid.

I had to end it when she wanted me to dress like Opus.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

Jacob

Quote from: PDH on July 25, 2011, 10:27:09 AM
Bloom County.

I went to University and I had a Bloom County T-Shirt, some girl thought it was cute at orientation and I got laid.

I had to end it when she wanted me to dress like Opus.

Dress like Opus = Bowtie and nothing else?

or

Dress like Opus = Tux and a bowtie?

DontSayBanana

or

Dress like Opus = bowtie and a huge prosthetic nose? :hmm:
Experience bij!

Gups

Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on July 24, 2011, 03:22:03 PM
Quote from: grumbler on July 24, 2011, 10:35:51 AM
Quote from: Tyr on July 24, 2011, 09:22:04 AM
Have I inadvertantly stumbled through a portal into a parallel dimension?  :hmm:
None of these names means anything to me.  :scots:
They are US cartoon strips.  No reason why you should know anything about them.  It would be like an American who knew about Coronation Street.

Nah, he's just young; both Bloom County and Doonesbury were run in the Guardian.

Hmmm......wait a minute, I think Doonesbury still runs in the Guardian to this day (guy must be 80 or a zombie), what kind of commie ex-coal miner are you Tyr? .................doesn't even read the Guardian tsk tsk

Yep, they tried to drop it a few years ago and backed down after a storm of protests.

Don't remember Bloom County though.

PDH

I leave it to the imagination.  Still, she was hot.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

DontSayBanana

Quote from: PDH on July 25, 2011, 11:40:45 AM
I leave it to the imagination.  Still, she was hot.

Ah, gotcha.  It was the anchovies fetish. ;)

:P
Experience bij!

dps

Quote from: Tonitrus on July 24, 2011, 02:48:32 AM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on July 24, 2011, 02:32:35 AM
Doonesbury runs laps around Bloom County.  The much better showdown IMO is Doonesbury vs. Calvin & Hobbes.

C&H is the best, but the focus here is political satire, not overall comic greatness.

I'm not sure that makes for a fair comparison.  Doonesbury has alway been primarily political satire;  while Bloom County, to me, was as much about character humor and wacky hijinks as satire, and a lot of the satire it did include was as likely to be social/cultural satire as political satire.  Not that Doonesbury didn't have character humor, wacky hijinks, and social/cultural satire, and that Bloom County didn't have political satire, just that the focus seemed different.