News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Bloom County or Doonesbury?

Started by Tonitrus, July 24, 2011, 02:31:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Which was the superior political satire comic series of the 1980's?

Bloom County
19 (76%)
Doonesbury
6 (24%)

Total Members Voted: 25

Neil

Bloom County was the height of newspaper comics.  And now that they're releasing the complete collections, I'm as happy as can be.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: grumbler on July 24, 2011, 10:34:10 AM
Bloom County always went for the most obvious possible joke.  I don't think I found a single strip of Bloom County actually funny.  Doonesbury could surprise me on occasion (though it certainly didn't most of the time, but that's the nature of humor).  Doonesbury by a mile.

I wouldn't take the collected Bloom County if you offered it to me for free.

You couldn't just voted for Doonesbury, and left it at that?

sbr

Richard Hakluyt

Quote from: grumbler on July 24, 2011, 10:35:51 AM
Quote from: Tyr on July 24, 2011, 09:22:04 AM
Have I inadvertantly stumbled through a portal into a parallel dimension?  :hmm:
None of these names means anything to me.  :scots:
They are US cartoon strips.  No reason why you should know anything about them.  It would be like an American who knew about Coronation Street.

Nah, he's just young; both Bloom County and Doonesbury were run in the Guardian.

Hmmm......wait a minute, I think Doonesbury still runs in the Guardian to this day (guy must be 80 or a zombie), what kind of commie ex-coal miner are you Tyr? .................doesn't even read the Guardian tsk tsk

Ed Anger

Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on July 24, 2011, 03:22:03 PM
Quote from: grumbler on July 24, 2011, 10:35:51 AM
Quote from: Tyr on July 24, 2011, 09:22:04 AM
Have I inadvertantly stumbled through a portal into a parallel dimension?  :hmm:
None of these names means anything to me.  :scots:
They are US cartoon strips.  No reason why you should know anything about them.  It would be like an American who knew about Coronation Street.

Nah, he's just young; both Bloom County and Doonesbury were run in the Guardian.

Hmmm......wait a minute, I think Doonesbury still runs in the Guardian to this day (guy must be 80 or a zombie), what kind of commie ex-coal miner are you Tyr? .................doesn't even read the Guardian tsk tsk

It is hard to read a newspaper when he is passed out drunk in the street.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Neil

Quote from: CountDeMoney on July 24, 2011, 02:32:25 PM
Bloom County always went for the most obvious possible joke.  I don't think I found a single strip of Bloom County actually funny.  Doonesbury could surprise me on occasion (though it certainly didn't most of the time, but that's the nature of humor).  Doonesbury by a mile.

Because he's a jerk.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Ed Anger

Grumbler liked the cartoon Tribe hunts Mammoth by Throg on the cave walls when he was young.

grumbler

Quote from: Neil on July 24, 2011, 04:17:28 PM

Because he's a jerk.
True.  I am as much a jerk as anyone who posted rather than just voting, but no more a one.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

grumbler

Quote from: Ed Anger on July 24, 2011, 04:21:10 PM
Grumbler liked the cartoon Tribe hunts Mammoth by Throg on the cave walls when he was young.
The one where the sabre-tooth runs Fat One up into the bee-infested tree was a howler, I'll admit.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Neil

Quote from: grumbler on July 24, 2011, 06:22:12 PM
Quote from: Neil on July 24, 2011, 04:17:28 PM

Because he's a jerk.
True.  I am as much a jerk as anyone who posted rather than just voting, but no more a one.
No, you're just as much a jerk as anyone who turns their nose up at Bloom County.

Ed Anger

Quote from: grumbler on July 24, 2011, 06:24:30 PM
Quote from: Ed Anger on July 24, 2011, 04:21:10 PM
The one where the sabre-tooth runs Fat One up into the bee-infested tree was a howler, I'll admit.

:)

Jacob

I think I've read more Doonesbury than Bloom County, but both were good.

I gotta say that the Danish translations of Doonesbury (usually a few weeks late) were nowhere near as good as the original American.

Voted Doonesbury, but just by a hair.

Razgovory

I never read Bloom County, largely because it ended publication before I was 10.  I'll be 30 in a few days.  You people are old.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Ideologue

Quote from: Razgovory on July 25, 2011, 02:31:10 AM
I never read Bloom County, largely because it ended publication before I was 10.  I'll be 30 in a few days.  You people are old.

I'm younger than you and I read it when I was a kid.  Maybe it was only in collected editions. :hmm:
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Fireblade

Bloom County, I read a bunch of the books when I was a little kid. I re-read some them again recently, and they're funnier now.