News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Bloom County or Doonesbury?

Started by Tonitrus, July 24, 2011, 02:31:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Which was the superior political satire comic series of the 1980's?

Bloom County
19 (76%)
Doonesbury
6 (24%)

Total Members Voted: 25

Tonitrus

The mention of both these classic comic series's in recent days has inspired me to create this poll.

As Bloom County ended at the end of the 80's, and Doonesbury seems immortal, this comparison should probably be isolated to that one decade.

And though Doonesbury seems to be regarded as the "classic", I never really cared for it but had always like Bloom County.  Though I also thought Trudeau and Breathed's drawing/art style were almost identical.

Admiral Yi

Doonesbury runs laps around Bloom County.  The much better showdown IMO is Doonesbury vs. Calvin & Hobbes.

Eddie Teach

Never really cared for either of those, or the conservative counterpart(Prickly City is it?). The kind of lame jokes that are barely tolerable in a strip about family life are made even worse when there's some partisan political point trying to be made.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Tonitrus

Quote from: Admiral Yi on July 24, 2011, 02:32:35 AM
Doonesbury runs laps around Bloom County.  The much better showdown IMO is Doonesbury vs. Calvin & Hobbes.

C&H is the best, but the focus here is political satire, not overall comic greatness.

Ideologue

Bloom County by a country mile.  Doonesbury is great and all, but Bloom County is genius beyond measure.  I'd actually put Breathed over Watterson.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

CountDeMoney

It's like the argument between Hitler and Stalin.  OBP versus hitting for average.

Doonesbury's had it moments over the years, but Bloom County made me laugh so hard sometimes I teared up.

Norgy

I love Bloom County.
It had some fantastic moments.

Outland less so, but still quite good. I've never gotten Doonesbury.

jimmy olsen

Bloom Country.

Doonesbury was never that funny.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Ed Anger

Quote from: Norgy on July 24, 2011, 07:26:00 AM
I love Bloom County.
It had some fantastic moments.

Outland less so, but still quite good. I've never gotten Doonesbury.

Bloom county was great. Outland is like looking at 2 week old dog turd in the grass. Or the puddle in the bed after sex. Or that brown ring in the can after a monster shit.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

DontSayBanana

Bloom County, no contest.  My favorite comic strip of all time.

Outland was crap.  Opus was better, but it was too little, too late.

I did like Doonesbury, but I liked the '80s strips much better than the current ones.  Something about the Reagan and Mk I Bush administrations just made for funnier political satire.  Maybe it's the way they still pretended to function on statesmanship- the last couple of administrations have already been caricatures so extreme that political jokes just feel like a ripoff.
Experience bij!

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Norgy on July 24, 2011, 07:26:00 AM
I've never gotten Doonesbury.

Doonesbury has a lot of inside jokes and character storylines that someone who hasn't followed it since the McGovern campaign won't always get or appreciate.

Josquius

Have I inadvertantly stumbled through a portal into a parallel dimension?  :hmm:
None of these names means anything to me.  :scots:
██████
██████
██████

grumbler

Bloom County always went for the most obvious possible joke.  I don't think I found a single strip of Bloom County actually funny.  Doonesbury could surprise me on occasion (though it certainly didn't most of the time, but that's the nature of humor).  Doonesbury by a mile.

I wouldn't take the collected Bloom County if you offered it to me for free.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

grumbler

Quote from: Tyr on July 24, 2011, 09:22:04 AM
Have I inadvertantly stumbled through a portal into a parallel dimension?  :hmm:
None of these names means anything to me.  :scots:
They are US cartoon strips.  No reason why you should know anything about them.  It would be like an American who knew about Coronation Street.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

BuddhaRhubarb

apples & orange in my mind. the best thing about Bloom County (like Calvin & Hobbes) is that Breathed knew when to quit. Doonesbury I haven't kept up with since the 90's though. I read both voraciously back in the day. I was the only 8 year old in my town who told/got Nixon/HST jokes iirc.
:p