Another Iranian Nuclear Scientist Assassinated

Started by Jacob, July 23, 2011, 11:24:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

grumbler

Quote from: Admiral Yi on July 23, 2011, 05:52:09 PM
There's a post-Bay of Pigs presidential order to not assassinate any foreign head of government.  Other than that I've never heard of any no assassination order.  Last time I checked we were assassinating folks in Pakistan and Yemen by the car load.
I guess if we ignore the meaning of the word "assassinate" that statement is true.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Razgovory

It could easily be more then one group.  A joint UK-US action is not out of the question.  Hell, it's not impossible that  it's a joint Israeli-Saudi act.  The Saudi government has secretly gotten closer to the Israeli government over the last decade.  Iran has lots of enemies, and almost all of them are afraid of Iran getting nuclear weapons.  It's likely a Mossad operation (the Stuxnet was probably an Israeli act and these assassinations are likely part of the same program), but campaign against Iranian nukes could involve several players.  The Israelis though, are known to attack scientists in the employ of enemy powers.  Who ever is doing this has a got a good ground team in Iran, and likely assets inside the nuclear program.

This assassination could have plenty benefits for who ever wants to slow or stop the Iranian nuclear program.  Besides depriving the Iranians of skilled personal, it also inspires terror in the other scientists dissuading them from working on the project and could force the Iranians to centralize their effort making them more susceptible to an airstrike.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

dps

The killing of Iranian nuclear scientists seems to be being done compatently, which makes the Mossad the most likely suspect.

Martinus

Quote from: Razgovory on July 23, 2011, 06:04:49 PM
It could easily be more then one group.  A joint UK-US action is not out of the question.  Hell, it's not impossible that  it's a joint Israeli-Saudi act.  The Saudi government has secretly gotten closer to the Israeli government over the last decade.  Iran has lots of enemies, and almost all of them are afraid of Iran getting nuclear weapons.  It's likely a Mossad operation (the Stuxnet was probably an Israeli act and these assassinations are likely part of the same program), but campaign against Iranian nukes could involve several players.  The Israelis though, are known to attack scientists in the employ of enemy powers.  Who ever is doing this has a got a good ground team in Iran, and likely assets inside the nuclear program.

This assassination could have plenty benefits for who ever wants to slow or stop the Iranian nuclear program.  Besides depriving the Iranians of skilled personal, it also inspires terror in the other scientists dissuading them from working on the project and could force the Iranians to centralize their effort making them more susceptible to an airstrike.

If it was a joint US-UK action, wouldn't they kill each other in friendly fire instead?

Admiral Yi

A think a few men managed to survive Normandy.

The first choice was to send some Polish cavalry to charge the reactors, but transporting the horses proved problematic.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: mongers on July 23, 2011, 05:13:04 PM
one of their cleverest moves was to put 16-17 suicide hijackers on some aircraft and avoid any blame for the consequences.  <_<

Boo. Hiss. Foul.

Ed Anger

Quote from: Admiral Yi on July 23, 2011, 06:53:06 PM
A think a few men managed to survive Normandy.

The first choice was to send some Polish cavalry to charge the reactors, but transporting the horses proved problematic.

They put the horses on a boat, but the screen door on the bottom sprung a leak.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

mongers

Quote from: CountDeMoney on July 23, 2011, 07:02:12 PM
one of their cleverest moves was to put 16-17 suicide hijackers on some aircraft and avoid any blame for the consequences.  <_<

Boo. Hiss. Foul.

Yeah, but I was still playing the ball, not the man.  :bowler:
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Ideologue

Quote from: Jacob on July 23, 2011, 04:57:38 PM
Do the Saudis ever pull clever black ops? I can't recall ever hearing of any....

Well you wouldn't would you.  :ph34r:

edit:

So, if I were to have suggested, circa 2001, that the United States invade Saudi Arabia, the bike-riding vote in Britain would have been on board? :hmm:
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

mongers

Quote from: Ideologue on July 23, 2011, 07:44:15 PM
Do the Saudis ever pull clever black ops? I can't recall ever hearing of any....

Well you wouldn't would you.  :ph34r:

edit:

So, if I were to have suggested, circa 2001, that the United States invade Saudi Arabia, the bike-riding vote in Britain would have been on board? :hmm:

:yes:

I think my hatred of the house of Saud is a matter of some record on this forum.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

CountDeMoney

Quote from: mongers on July 23, 2011, 08:08:48 PM
I think my hatred of the house of Saud is a matter of some record on this forum.

Fine.
But if you go after the house of Pancakes, we got problems.

Ideologue

'Cause all I ever remember from 2001-2005 is people looking at me like I was crazy when I suggested it, is all.

If they pull a Tianenmen, we can finally bomb them, right?
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

dps

Quote from: Ideologue on July 23, 2011, 10:27:36 PM
'Cause all I ever remember from 2001-2005 is people looking at me like I was crazy when I suggested it, is all.

Well, the problem there is that a crazy person can still be right about somethings on occassion, but they're still crazy.

Viking

Quote from: Admiral Yi on July 23, 2011, 05:52:09 PM
There's a post-Bay of Pigs presidential order to not assassinate any foreign head of government.  Other than that I've never heard of any no assassination order.  Last time I checked we were assassinating folks in Pakistan and Yemen by the car load.

meh, semantics.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Siege

The 9/11

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"