News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Hess Buried At Sea

Started by jimmy olsen, July 21, 2011, 08:38:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

derspiess

I've already got myself a spot here that will be mine forever & ever: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spring_Grove_Cemetery

Wonder if I can trade someone to get a plot close to Gen. Hooker  :hmm:
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Jacob

But yeah, in Denmark, you rent your plot for however long (in some multiple of decades), and whoever has the leasehold (and it can be passed on down the family) can renew it whenever it's appropriate. So there are still plenty of old family graves around.

However, if at some point no one cares enough to pay the not too onerous fee then eventually the grave will be repurposed (given enough time for the remains in it to decompose anyhow). So as long as your family maintains the grave and so on it's yours*. I've never heard of anything happening like what happened with Hess; I think that's a pretty unique circumstance.

What happens in the US to old graves of people nobody remembers and cares about? Are they ever turned over so new people can be buried there, are they left to decay on their own or are they maintained (and who pays for them)?

*It seems there's an exception if you're somehow noteworthy and famous. In that case I'm guessing the cemetery (usually attached to a church) or maybe the state maintains the grave. But maybe there are private individuals who're maintaining the responsibility instead.

Jacob

Quote from: derspiess on July 22, 2011, 12:54:58 PM
I've already got myself a spot here that will be mine forever & ever: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spring_Grove_Cemetery

So what happens when it's full up?

I assume there's plenty of land, so new cemeteries will be made for newly dead people. But what happens at the cemetery itself? Who pays for maintaining the graves? I guess since it's a Natural Historic Landmark, maybe the tax payers pick up some of the tab? But what happens at cemeteries that don't have that distinction once they're full? Do they have other sources of revenue, beyond selling plots?

Razgovory

Quote from: Jacob on July 22, 2011, 01:01:20 PM

I assume there's plenty of land, so new cemeteries will be made for newly dead people. But what happens at the cemetery itself? Who pays for maintaining the graves? I guess since it's a Natural Historic Landmark, maybe the tax payers pick up some of the tab? But what happens at cemeteries that don't have that distinction once they're full? Do they have other sources of revenue, beyond selling plots?

Build a new cemetery.  We have at least one cemetery that is filled where I live.  No idea who maintains it.  It's a Catholic cemetery so possibly the church.  There's a veterans cemetery but I think that one is maintained by the Feds.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Jacob

Quote from: Razgovory on July 22, 2011, 01:03:57 PMBuild a new cemetery.  We have at least one cemetery that is filled where I live.  No idea who maintains it.  It's a Catholic cemetery so possibly the church.  There's a veterans cemetery but I think that one is maintained by the Feds.

Makes sense if you're only worrying about a few hundred years worth of graves, but once you've been burying people for thousands of years you'll likely not want to figure out ways to pay for maintaining all the graves even if you have the room.

I'm mildly surprised by this cultural difference.

Oh... or is there maybe some sort of equivalent of a "homeowners association" for the graveyards, so even though you own the land there's a maintenance fee or something?

Malthus

Quote from: Jacob on July 22, 2011, 01:09:20 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on July 22, 2011, 01:03:57 PMBuild a new cemetery.  We have at least one cemetery that is filled where I live.  No idea who maintains it.  It's a Catholic cemetery so possibly the church.  There's a veterans cemetery but I think that one is maintained by the Feds.

Makes sense if you're only worrying about a few hundred years worth of graves, but once you've been burying people for thousands of years you'll likely not want to figure out ways to pay for maintaining all the graves even if you have the room.

I'm mildly surprised by this cultural difference.

Oh... or is there maybe some sort of equivalent of a "homeowners association" for the graveyards, so even though you own the land there's a maintenance fee or something?

Here, some graveyards are in effect run by religious institutions, who foot the bill. I grew up near a "full up" graveyard run by a Jewish institution - they paid to have it maintained. Dunno if that would last hundreds of years - of course the point being, it hasn't had to, yet.  ;)
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Jacob

Yeah I guess it turns out to be more or less the same in the long run. Somebody's going to have to be interested in and willing to pay for maintaining the site, whether it's as some sort of society or group, or as a individuals and their descendants.

derspiess

Quote from: Jacob on July 22, 2011, 12:57:34 PM
What happens in the US to old graves of people nobody remembers and cares about? Are they ever turned over so new people can be buried there,

I've never heard of this happening.  Sometimes they're moved so the property can be developed, but I don't know about re-using the same plots for new burials.

Quoteare they left to decay on their own

Many are, yes.  There are quite a few old abandoned cemeteries on private property that are overgrown with brush, trees, etc. to the point where you'd never know what's there.

Quoteor are they maintained (and who pays for them)

That varies widely.  For old cemeteries that are filled to capacity, the property owner for the cemetery grounds might not want to keep maintaining them without any income to cover the expense.  I think in that case they either just let it deteriorate or turn the property over to the city/county. 

A fraternal organization I belong to (Odd Fellows) owns a few cemeteries in this area.  Some of them are still generating revenue from sales of plots, but one in particular has become a big net liability even though we have some space left.  We've pretty much decided to sign the property over to the city of Cincinnati, since by state (?) law they will have to accept the transfer and then assume responsibility for maintenance.

"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Jacob

Thanks for the info derSpiess. That makes sense.

I guess in the long run (like centuries) the State will eventually stop maintaining some of the various cemeteries it seems likely to accumulate over time, but you're probably pretty safe in a National Historic Landmark.

derspiess

Quote from: Jacob on July 22, 2011, 01:01:20 PM

This particular place still has space left (it's pretty huge) plus they have a funeral home on site that generates revenue and the chapel is pretty popular for weddings, oddly enough. 

http://www.springgrove.org/

Admiral Yi

Quote from: syk on July 22, 2011, 12:00:29 PM
The obvious longhaired leftie I was and with this sticker on the car we could pass quickly.

What's the deal with the sticker dude?

dps

Quote from: derspiess on July 22, 2011, 01:24:13 PM
A fraternal organization I belong to (Odd Fellows) owns a few cemeteries in this area.  Some of them are still generating revenue from sales of plots, but one in particular has become a big net liability even though we have some space left. 

There's an Odd Fellow cemetary in my home town, too. I think that it's just about full.  There's some undeveloped land around it, so I suppose that they could expand it if they wanted to, but I kind of doubt that they want to. 

There are 2 large, commercially run cemetaries in the area, and they're huge--I doubt that they'll run out of room anytime this century.

Jacob

Quote from: Admiral Yi on July 22, 2011, 02:41:58 PM
Quote from: syk on July 22, 2011, 12:00:29 PM
The obvious longhaired leftie I was and with this sticker on the car we could pass quickly.

What's the deal with the sticker dude?

In the 80s and early 90s there were a certain amount of overlap between violent neo-fascist groups and hooligan supporters of various soccer clubs in Europe. That offended a number of non-fascist soccer supporters, including some who were just as thuggish as the violent neo-fascists.

The sticker says that this guy is a fan of St. Pauli and that while he may not personally be into having street fights with neo-fascist thugs he probably approves of those who do.

Ed Anger

Did you hear about the Polish Admiral who wanted to be buried at sea when he died?

Five sailors died digging his grave.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Razgovory

Quote from: Jacob on July 22, 2011, 03:15:57 PM

In the 80s and early 90s there were a certain amount of overlap between violent neo-fascist groups and hooligan supporters of various soccer clubs in Europe. That offended a number of non-fascist soccer supporters, including some who were just as thuggish as the violent neo-fascists.

The sticker says that this guy is a fan of St. Pauli and that while he may not personally be into having street fights with neo-fascist thugs he probably approves of those who do.

I think that Serb Militia, Arkan's Tigers started off as a bunch of Football hooligans.  Unpleasant bunch.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017