News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Football (Soccer) Thread

Started by Liep, March 11, 2009, 02:57:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Valmy

Quote from: Grey Fox on June 12, 2015, 10:38:44 AM
There's a World Cup going on & no one is talking about it!

Because the USA's victory is an inevitability.

I think the most annoying thing about following a woman's sporting event is when you go to check the scores you get bombarded with articles about 'why you should give a shit about women's sports'

Fuck I do give a shit. I am here checking the damn scores aren't I? Damn preaching to the choir. It almost feels like they are trying to make us feel all smug for being so enlightened and progessive and shit as to watch ladies play with balls.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Liep

Quote from: Grey Fox on June 12, 2015, 10:38:44 AM
There's a World Cup going on & no one is talking about it!

Yeah yeah, sexism, etc. But it's just not at all interesting to watch; most of them lack speed, power, technique and flair. I might watch it from the final when there's enough good players on both teams to make it a proper game.
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Valmy

Quote from: Liep on June 12, 2015, 10:51:13 AM
Yeah yeah, sexism, etc. But it's just not at all interesting to watch; most of them lack speed, power, technique and flair. I might watch it from the final when there's enough good players on both teams to make it a proper game.

Ladies are smaller and slower. Not sure about technique, they are pretty much equivalent in skills to top men's players. Or at least they are generally, I don't pretend to be some soccer expert.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Grey Fox

I think this is where a misfit to soccer helps.

Yeah, they are slower, hits are weaker, etc but you know what? Soccer is still a sports of fakers, divers & set pieces whether played by men or women. There is no difference.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Liep

Quote from: Valmy on June 12, 2015, 10:53:04 AM

they are pretty much equivalent in skills to top men's players.

No there are not. I've watched a fair few women's football games and in none of those did I see anything resembling the skill of top men's players.
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Valmy

As I said generally that is true in other sports. I am not an expert enough to know if that is true for soccer.

Liep

Quote from: Valmy on June 12, 2015, 10:58:42 AM
As I said generally that is true in other sports. I am not an expert enough to know if that is true for soccer.

That's just another way of saying you're quite sure you're right and that I'm a major asshole. But okay I haven't watched since 2003 so I'll give it another go.

Valmy

Quote from: Liep on June 12, 2015, 11:04:37 AM
Quote from: Valmy on June 12, 2015, 10:58:42 AM

That's just another way of saying you're quite sure you're right and that I'm a major asshole. But okay I haven't watched since 2003 so I'll give it another go.

Actually no that is not what I am saying at all. I do not consider myself superior for knowing shit about women's sports and having enough of an interest to at least be kind of informed. It just means I grew up watching Sportscenter and around the time the University of Texas' woman's basketball team went undefeated. I did it because I am a freak who loves sports long before I knew anything about feminism and smug leftwingism.

Liep

Quote from: Valmy on June 12, 2015, 11:07:41 AMI did it because I am a freak who loves sports long before I knew anything about feminism and smug leftwingism.

That's hardly freakish. :P

celedhring

I think pace and stamina are a factor, given the hugeness of a football pitch. I.e. I watch women's futsal and it's much more entertaining - and closer to men's as a spectacle - than full-sized women's football is.

Liep

I'm watching USA- Sweden on replay (70 minutes in). And what I mean with lower skill is mainly ball handling, ie. how they handle incoming passes. Too often it seems the ball runs away from them, now it does look like the ball is behaving completely insane on that turf, so I don't know if that's part of it.

Pros: Just as much heart, if not more. No primadonnas. It's faster paced than I remember. No ridiculous haircuts. Passing game seems to be very good.

Cons: Lack of individual skill (and no outstanding players (maybe that short haired American left winger)). Field seems to big. Faster paced than 2nd league men's football, but still not near top league pace. They're defensively organised better than 2nd league teams, which means that the lack of skill leads to very few scoring chances.

It's very confusing. I do like that the only time someone has been writhing on the ground is because she was headbutted. That's okay.

Sweden sucks at set pieces.

Liep

Also I am a fan of the tracksuit coaches.

Also a fan of USA #13. :wub:

Maladict

Faroe Islands beat Greece AGAIN?  :lmfao:

Zanza

Blatter now considers not resigning after all...

Liep

Quote from: Zanza on June 14, 2015, 05:41:57 AM
Blatter now considers not resigning after all...

Does he want to see John Oliver vomit up that Bud Lime?