News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Football (Soccer) Thread

Started by Liep, March 11, 2009, 02:57:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Josquius

True, the long contract is worrying.
Though these days I am increasingly coming around to thinking 35 is the new 30. The players getting into their 30s now are players who grew up with the modern hyper professional football where they have people looking after everything about their body.
Fingers crossed.

Quote from: Josephus on January 15, 2015, 09:06:45 PM
Quote from: Tyr on January 15, 2015, 06:25:25 PM
Quote from: Josephus on January 13, 2015, 09:57:58 PM
Defoe to Sunderland for $11m.
Altidore may be on his way to Toronto
Straight swap I read.
If either is paying I would expect it to be Toronto given Defoe's age and Jose's commercial value.

Hopefully Defoe can still score <_<

Nah swap plus $11m

http://www.torontosun.com/2015/01/13/jermain-defoe-signs-massive-deal-with-sunderland-report
That would be insane. Either alone wouldn't cost that much.

http://rokerreport.sbnation.com/2015/1/16/7555993/confirmed-swap-deal-completed
http://www.sunderlandecho.com/sport/sunderland-afc/sunderland-poised-to-confirm-defoe-deal-in-straight-swap-for-altidore-1-7051198
██████
██████
██████

Josephus

Yeah.  Early reports indicated $11m., but that's being denied now. Trouble with MLS is that they keep this kind of stuff quiet, but it does look like it was a one-for-one swap
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Liep

"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Josquius

Such bad luck. We brought on useless Graham and he got a perfect chance. Oh well. Spurs are a bonus points team.

In other news:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/30757600
Such horrible luck. A team lost both of its keepers in one half.
██████
██████
██████

Ed Anger

QuoteA spectator forced his way onto the pitch and attacked Nottingham Forest defender Kelvin Wilson following the Rams' Championship defeat on Saturday afternoon

We know where Norgy is.

(that is his team...right?)
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Josephus

Looks like Toronto will announce another major signing tomorrow. Likely Juve's Giovinco, which is quite a coup for the league.
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Norgy

Quote from: Ed Anger on January 17, 2015, 06:30:12 PM
QuoteA spectator forced his way onto the pitch and attacked Nottingham Forest defender Kelvin Wilson following the Rams' Championship defeat on Saturday afternoon

We know where Norgy is.

(that is his team...right?)

Heck, it wasn't me. I wasn't at "Pride" Park that particular day, and I laughed quite a bit at the twat's attempt at taking on Forest's most gangsta player. Kelvin Wilson probably already have his crew all ready, all recruited from the bum end of Nottingham, to sort this daft bastard out.

Still. It was one of the best wins this season. Osborn (born in Derby) slotting one home in injury time, and showing enough class not to celebrate much.
Thanks, mr. Pearce.

Passion for the game. It's what it's all about.

Warspite

" SIR – I must commend you on some of your recent obituaries. I was delighted to read of the deaths of Foday Sankoh (August 9th), and Uday and Qusay Hussein (July 26th). Do you take requests? "

OVO JE SRBIJA
BUDALO, OVO JE POSTA

Norgy

14   Aston Villa   22   5   7   10   11   25   22
15   West Bromwich   21   5   6   10   20   29   21
16   Sunderland   22   3   11   8   19   33   20
17   Burnley   22   4   8   10   21   36   20
18   Hull City   22   4   7   11   20   30   19
19   QPR   22   5   4   13   23   39   19
20   Leicester City   22   4   5   13   20   34   17

Hardly any surprises in the Premiership, barring one: Southampton. In third. Which is most impressive, given how many players they've sold. Derby County's record of a measly 11 points in a season won't be broken this season either.

Liep

"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

celedhring

Norgy

Predictably, Forest are a right mess off the pitch. Al-Hasawi may put 1,5 million pounds in a week, but his HR policy is reminiscent of that of Genghis Khan's.

Oh, and Pearce was sacked. That's the, what, 7th manager in three years?  :glare:

Sheilbh

This is wonderful. From the Guardian's match report of Burnsley-Chelsea:
QuoteChelsea appealed in the 43rd minute when Costa collapsed in the box following contact from Jason Shackell. Mourinho, who claims his striker gets a raw deal from officials, threw his arms to the skies in supposed disbelief when the referee waved play on, but the decision seemed fair – Shackell's hands did touch Costa but it was hardly the sort of shove that would, for example, prevent a commuter from boarding a train.
Let's bomb Russia!

FunkMonk

Quote from: Sheilbh on February 22, 2015, 09:30:56 PM
This is wonderful. From the Guardian's match report of Burnsley-Chelsea:
QuoteChelsea appealed in the 43rd minute when Costa collapsed in the box following contact from Jason Shackell. Mourinho, who claims his striker gets a raw deal from officials, threw his arms to the skies in supposed disbelief when the referee waved play on, but the decision seemed fair – Shackell's hands did touch Costa but it was hardly the sort of shove that would, for example, prevent a commuter from boarding a train.

:o :o  :lmfao:
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

Norgy