And we're back!

Main Menu

Football (Soccer) Thread

Started by Liep, March 11, 2009, 02:57:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Agelastus

Quote from: mongers on April 12, 2014, 09:21:40 AM
Quote from: FunkMonk on April 10, 2014, 10:59:51 AM
Liverpool winning the league the season after Ferguson retired would be funny.

No Man City will win it by a point or goal difference, so Liverpool fans can revel in the feeling of being cheated Again.  :D

:hmm:

Most likely result if City win tomorrow would be a City title by at least five points (five points based on the games in hand, "at least" based on the way the top three have separated in many of the run-ins of the previous two decades.)

That won't stop the majority of fans from "feeling cheated" of course. [:rolleyes: even as a Liverpool fan.]

Still, on the positive side, Liverpool failing to win the title this year would delay the necessity of me apologising for describing Brendan Rogers as a "one plan wonder" for at least another year. :)
"Come grow old with me
The Best is yet to be
The last of life for which the first was made."

Sheilbh

Everton's got the most points we've ever had in the Premier League and the most since 1986 :o

Also seven wins in a row which we've not done since the 80s :o

And the Mayor of Liverpool's said he expects an announcement about a new stadium in a few months :o

:ph34r: :w00t: :w00t: :ph34r:

Edit: Also, often we're enjoyable to watch :o :ph34r: :w00t:
Let's bomb Russia!

PDH

Quote from: Sheilbh on April 12, 2014, 05:47:54 PM
Everton's got the most points we've ever had in the Premier League and the most since 1986 :o

And the Mayor of Liverpool's said he expects an announcement about a new stadium in a few months :o

You can thank Tim Howard for all of that.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

Norgy

I think both Rodgers and Martinez are among the most exciting managers in English football these days. And they're both in Liverpool clubs.

You could say Wenger, Pellegrini and Mourinho have more to their names, but Wenger's fading a bit, Pellegrini's had an open checkbook and world class talent even on the bench and Mourinho is too special for me.

I am equal parts stoked and apprehensive about Stuart Pearce at Forest from July. The man's a legend at the club, and will have financial backing (unless FFP kicks in and Forest gets severely punished for overspending this season). But his managerial record is just a few notches above definitely mediocre so far. The players haven't put a shift in under Gary Brazil's temporary reign and didn't under Davies' last few matches either. Getting rid of Davies and his cronies is a good thing for Forest. And avoiding Neil Warnock. Might have preferred the so far mediocre Nigel Clough to Pearce, actually.

But back to Brendan Rodgers. I followed his development of Swansea, and it seemed to me that he was a man with a philosophical approach to the game and with an intention to play a certain way. This season, I think he's proven that he's also adaptable to changes, and not at all afraid of changing tactics while remaining true to his overall strategy.
Roberto Martinez is a shockingly good manager compared to how mediocre he was as a player.

PDH

Quote from: Norgy on April 12, 2014, 06:18:15 PM

Roberto Martinez is a shockingly good manager compared to how mediocre he was as a player.

The mediocre players, at least those who wanted to be better but couldn't because of basic physical gifts, are among the better coaches/managers out there - they know what it takes to succeed and often can drive the better players to achieve more.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

FunkMonk

Quote from: Sheilbh on April 12, 2014, 05:47:54 PM

Everton will win the league next seaon at this rate.  :P

Meanwhile, Arsenal can barely scrape past Wigan on the way to an inevitable cup final collapse. :(
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

Sheilbh

Quote from: Norgy on April 12, 2014, 06:18:15 PMI think both Rodgers and Martinez are among the most exciting managers in English football these days. And they're both in Liverpool clubs.
Yeah I agree. I'd love nothing more than for Merseyside to have a few years of both clubs doing well.

QuoteI am equal parts stoked and apprehensive about Stuart Pearce at Forest from July. The man's a legend at the club, and will have financial backing (unless FFP kicks in and Forest gets severely punished for overspending this season). But his managerial record is just a few notches above definitely mediocre so far. The players haven't put a shift in under Gary Brazil's temporary reign and didn't under Davies' last few matches either. Getting rid of Davies and his cronies is a good thing for Forest. And avoiding Neil Warnock. Might have preferred the so far mediocre Nigel Clough to Pearce, actually.
I wish Championship sides were a little bolder in their appointments instead of always going for known quantities like Pearce, Warnock, Coyle, Dave Jones. I read an article recently blaming that (as opposed to foreigners) for getting in the way of good young English managers. They're stuck as assistants or in the lower leagues while Neil Warnock gets another job.

QuoteBut back to Brendan Rodgers. I followed his development of Swansea, and it seemed to me that he was a man with a philosophical approach to the game and with an intention to play a certain way. This season, I think he's proven that he's also adaptable to changes, and not at all afraid of changing tactics while remaining true to his overall strategy.
He's also been fortunate to have the backing of the owners to not sell Suarez. Look at that and then, say, Spurs and a fair few other clubs. It was the right decision and impressive from them and him.

There was a really interesting BBC documentary on Swansea: The Fall and Rise, it mainly focused on Martinez's time there but was more about the people who saved and ran the club. But so far Martinez has positively surprised a lot of people - though there are still some fans who can't stand him because we don't 'have a go' enough :bleeding:

QuoteEverton will win the league next seaon at this rate.  :P
Despite sharing a city Liverpool fans get all the bubbly optimism. Everton fans have a grim fatalism that we'll inevitably fuck this up and then end up building a new stadium in Warrington :lol:
Let's bomb Russia!

Norgy

Add to the list:
Mick McCarthy
Billy Davies
Alex McLeish

A "young and bright" manager was supposedly Darren Ferguson. Can't say I have seen any of that.

Dave Jones should be put on permanent gardening leave. Owen Coyle is a poor manager. Pearce has hardly managed in club football, and both stints were in the PL. First at Forest as player-manager, then with Man City on a budget.

mongers

[Eric Morecambe]

Arsenal!

[/Eric Morecambe]
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Warspite

This whole "scraped past" narrative is a bit stupid, we dominated Wigan if you look at the statistics. The problem was that we had no finishing from Sanogo who was alone up front until Wenger went 4-4-2. The Ox hit the woodwork three times. Wigan never really threatened our goal. Also let's not forget that Wigan were undefeated in the FA Cup for two years and had just knocked Man City out.

But yes, it was an extremely nervy game. The fans were in very good voice however.
" SIR – I must commend you on some of your recent obituaries. I was delighted to read of the deaths of Foday Sankoh (August 9th), and Uday and Qusay Hussein (July 26th). Do you take requests? "

OVO JE SRBIJA
BUDALO, OVO JE POSTA

Josephus

Liverpool  :)

In the driver's seat now.
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

FunkMonk

Quote from: Josephus on April 13, 2014, 09:39:16 AM
Liverpool  :)

In the driver's seat now.

It's actually amazing.

John Henry must have a smug look on his face now. America rulez.

FunkMonk

Quote from: Warspite on April 13, 2014, 05:04:20 AM
This whole "scraped past" narrative is a bit stupid, we dominated Wigan if you look at the statistics. The problem was that we had no finishing from Sanogo who was alone up front until Wenger went 4-4-2. The Ox hit the woodwork three times. Wigan never really threatened our goal. Also let's not forget that Wigan were undefeated in the FA Cup for two years and had just knocked Man City out.

But yes, it was an extremely nervy game. The fans were in very good voice however.

Fair points. It's hard to criticize a team for its character when they grind out a tough victory in a semifinal.

Wenger looked liked a tortured soul. Amy Lawrence's column was interesting.

Norgy

Wigan is one of those shite clubs I wish didn't exist.

mongers

Quote from: Norgy on April 13, 2014, 03:00:25 PM
Wigan is one of those shite clubs I wish didn't exist.

Glass houses?
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"