And we're back!

Main Menu

Football (Soccer) Thread

Started by Liep, March 11, 2009, 02:57:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Larch

Quote from: Admiral Yi on October 16, 2013, 01:11:35 AM
:lol:

What was he saying about the pants after the 3rd US goal?

He was saying that the Mexican coach should either man up or resign.

Josephus

Quote from: Sheilbh on October 15, 2013, 11:36:42 PM
Quote from: FunkMonk on October 15, 2013, 11:34:46 PM
Ironically, when expectations are at their lowest, England will make the Final.  :P
Don't tell Jos, but that's the plan  :ph34r: :P

hope so... :D
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Viking

Quote from: Maladict on October 15, 2013, 09:17:13 AM
Especially if they draw Portugal  :)

That said, I'd rather hope Portugal draw France.

"We" can beat anybody, and sometimes we do. I think our possible opponents are Ukraine, Croatia, Portugal and Greece.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Viking

I know what I was saying.... dammit, if it hadn't been for a groin injury last year when we called him up he'd be playing for iceland right now.

sigh, my beloved americans, Aron Jóhansson is our gift to you a product of our genetics and soccer youth development. 

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Maladict

Seeded teams for the WC: Spain, Brazil, Germany, Argentina, Belgium, Switzerland, Colombia, Uruguay/Italy/Holland.

:huh:

Viking

Quote from: Maladict on October 16, 2013, 07:38:53 AM

Seeded teams for the WC: Spain, Brazil, Germany, Argentina, Belgium, Switzerland, Colombia, Uruguay/Italy/Holland.

http://www.fifa.com/worldranking/rankingtable/

It's math, not subjective backroom dealing

Gups

Supposed to be the top 8 in the rankings as of tomorrow. I don't think Italy have a chance.

Just shows up how crap the rankings are.

FunkMonk

Quote from: Viking on October 16, 2013, 06:55:35 AM

I know what I was saying.... dammit, if it hadn't been for a groin injury last year when we called him up he'd be playing for iceland right now.

sigh, my beloved americans, Aron Jóhansson is our gift to you a product of our genetics and soccer youth development.

It was fate. :cry:
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

Maladict

Quote from: Viking on October 16, 2013, 07:50:49 AM
Quote from: Maladict on October 16, 2013, 07:38:53 AM

http://www.fifa.com/worldranking/rankingtable/

It's math, not subjective backroom dealing

I know it is, but  :huh: is still justified.

Viking

Quote from: Viking on October 16, 2013, 06:51:43 AM
Quote from: Maladict on October 15, 2013, 09:17:13 AM
Especially if they draw Portugal  :)

That said, I'd rather hope Portugal draw France.

"We" can beat anybody, and sometimes we do. I think our possible opponents are Ukraine, Croatia, Portugal and Greece.

Thinking about it.. I hope we get portugal. If only  because the entire world will be rooting for us knock Ronaldo out.

Valmy

I cannot believe the freaking US bailed out Mexico like that.  They should have just stood around during injury time and put a stake in Mexico.  Meh.  No less than Mexico would have done for the US in that situation.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Admiral Yi

Quote from: The Larch on October 16, 2013, 06:22:08 AM

Thanks.  Can you give me the exact expression for man up please.

The Larch

Quote from: Admiral Yi on October 16, 2013, 01:56:05 PM
Quote from: The Larch on October 16, 2013, 06:22:08 AM

Thanks.  Can you give me the exact expression for man up please.

He said "ponerse los pantalones", but I had never heard it before, must be Mexican slang or something. Man up is a free translation, you can say "walk the walk", "get real", or something to the same effect.

FunkMonk

Quote from: Valmy on October 16, 2013, 11:51:35 AM
I cannot believe the freaking US bailed out Mexico like that.  They should have just stood around during injury time and put a stake in Mexico.  Meh.  No less than Mexico would have done for the US in that situation.

It's probably more humiliating for Mexico this way. The only reason why Mexico has a chance to qualify is because their arch rival, at the top of hexagonal and playing with their C team, scored two last minute goals against little Panama. Lmao
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

clandestino

Quote from: katmai on September 16, 2013, 02:57:12 AM
Hey Clandestino, how you liking Montero so far? :P

Was without pc for the last weeks, sorry for the late reply. :)

Montero has been great. He manages to score almost every game and he's currently the best scorer in the league above such players as Porto's Jackson Martinez or Benfica's Oscar Cardozo.

The team so far is completely surprising fans. After the new president was elected last season, although he talked about restoring Sporting, most fans knew that the coffers were empty and that it would be a difficult season, just trying to improve last years 7th finish and securing a UEFA cup spot. The signings were few and cheap and again there was a bet on the younger players that came from last year B team.

So far the results have been very good with only two draws, both at home, one against Benfica wich is reasonale and one against Rio Ave, not that good and the team is currently seating at 2nd place only two points behind Porto. The new manager is doing a good job and the team has managed a few very good results with 4 goals margins.

Nevertheless, next league game will be away at Porto and unfortunatelly I don't believe they will win it. If for some miracle they manage to do it, it'll start a max hysteria and people will start believing that they can be champions. :lol:

About the rest, Porto is first but not playing that well and Benfica is on the brick of turmoil, with what was called by his president "the best Benfica team in the last 30 years" and managing some poor results. There is constant talk about sacking Jesus and the white scarfs have been seen in Benfica's stadium for a couple of games.