News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Football (Soccer) Thread

Started by Liep, March 11, 2009, 02:57:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FunkMonk

Nice to see a Stu Holden appearance at the end too.
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: Josephus on June 11, 2013, 04:11:51 PM
Quote from: Liep on June 11, 2013, 02:37:22 PM
We're getting our arses kicked by Armenia. Not okay. :mad:

Malta beat Armenia  :D

In the previous qualifying campaign, Malta was the only team who caused no trouble for Portugal ;)

After beating Russia with a tenuous 1-0 in Lisbon, Portugal can now hope for playoffs since even they are first of their group they have played two more games than Russia who is two points behind and one more than Israel, itself three points behind and has one game to play with Portugal. Portugal other games are vs Northern Ireland away and with Luxemburg at home as in Portugal since when in Luxemburg it's like playing home. ;)

In others news, France lost 0-3 to Brazil in their South American tour after losing 0-1 to Uruguay. Not great for the new coach Didier Deschamps who lost 5 games out of 11.

Liep

Laudrup to PSG? While that could be interesting to watch, maybe he should try and stay more than one season at a club.
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Liep

Quote from: Liep on June 13, 2013, 03:23:13 AM
Laudrup to PSG? While that could be interesting to watch, maybe he should try and stay more than one season at a club.
http://www.lequipe.fr/Football/Actualites/Le-psg-avance-sur-m-laudrup/378242
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: Liep on June 13, 2013, 04:05:06 AM
Quote from: Liep on June 13, 2013, 03:23:13 AM
http://www.lequipe.fr/Football/Actualites/Le-psg-avance-sur-m-laudrup/378242

Remember, if it's to PSG, it could be for even less than a season, depending on Leonardo's suspension.

Liep

Watching a really interesting documentary about danish footballer William Kvist, recently he has gone from star player in Stuttgart to the bench.

He's the atypical player, bachelor degree in economics, reads poetry, etc. Some nice insights into the mind of a professional footballer.

http://www.dr.dk/tv/se/indefra-med-anders-agger/indefra-med-anders-agger-8-8#!/

In Danish. All Danes, btw, should watch the rest of the series.

The Larch

Spain defeated Italy yesterday, claiming the European U 21 championship, it's second in a row after winning also in 2011. The Spanish U 19 team is also the current European champion for the second year in a row and will compete in July for a record breaking third championship. The U 20 team will fight for the world championship this summer.

This is truly a golden age. A veritable embarrassment of riches.

Zanza

Quote from: The Larch on June 19, 2013, 11:52:20 AM
Spain defeated Italy yesterday, claiming the European U 21 championship, it's second in a row after winning also in 2011. The Spanish U 19 team is also the current European champion for the second year in a row and will compete in July for a record breaking third championship. The U 20 team will fight for the world championship this summer.

It's not like Spanish youth have much to do besides playing football. :P

The Larch

Quote from: Zanza on June 19, 2013, 03:46:40 PM
Quote from: The Larch on June 19, 2013, 11:52:20 AM

It's not like Spanish youth have much to do besides playing football. :P

The ones that get to that level might end up extremely well employed, so it's an investment.  :P

katmai

US did what they had to, and looks like Altidore is maturing nicely with another goal for 4 straight games with one.
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

FunkMonk

Quote from: katmai on June 19, 2013, 05:55:54 PM
US did what they had to, and looks like Altidore is maturing nicely with another goal for 4 straight games with one.

I am slowly preparing myself for when the media build a giant hype machine around Altidore and then his eventual fall from grace when he goes through another goal scoring drought.
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

PDH

I read a good piece (in the NYT blog?) about Altidore today.  They noted that it wasn't the goal, but rather how he was in the game - charging the goalie late in the match after a back pass and forcing an errant kick that was mark of his maturity.  He seems to be more "in" the game now, and it is showing.

Of course, as a striker, he will always have periods of being on and periods of being off - but it is nice to see Altidore being on when he is needed.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

Josephus

Knowing I only have time to watch one game from the Confed this evening, I chose to "tape"  the Brazil - Mexico game, instead of what turned out to be a far more exciting Italy-Japan game. Who knew?
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Josquius

Apparently Mignolet is going to Liverpool. He's just too good for us. Hope we can get some decent money out of them.
██████
██████
██████

Liep

The producers thank Pique for finally giving them a reason to show footage of Shakira.