News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Football (Soccer) Thread

Started by Liep, March 11, 2009, 02:57:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FunkMonk

Saw the game in a bar in Florence surrounded by Germans and Italians. Had a blast and the best part was I didn't have to sit through Gus Johnson's commentary.  :lol:
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

Sheilbh

Quote from: Zanza on May 25, 2013, 04:37:17 AM
The broadcast rights in Germany are sold en bloc for the whole league and while Bayern gets more than the last club, it is not a huge difference like in Spain.
Similar to England. Foreign rights are sold en bloc and divvied up equally. Domestic rights are sold, I think half are distributed equally and half depend on how many matches are televised and league position.

QuoteComment about Robben from Danish radio: "Good for him, you know, they say even his own mother doesn't really like him."
:lol:

Lots of Germans in London last night. Great atmosphere in the (rammed) pub I watched it in.
Let's bomb Russia!

Syt

Bayern Munich totally dominated the Bundesliga this season, and it's gonna be one for the ages.

http://sportige.com/bayern-munich-new-records-set-bundesliga-season-05-2013/

QuoteBy finishing first with 91 points (29W, 4D, 1L), Bayern set a new Bundesliga record, breaking the 81 points Dortmund set last season. Their 25 point lead over Dortmund at second (66 points) is also a new record, breaking the 16 points, also by Bayern from 10 years ago.

No one has secured the title so early in terms of both matches and date: Bayern needed only 28 matches to clinch the title, with the previous record being 30; they also did it by April 6, with the earliest date before that was April 18. Bayern also led the league from the first day of the season, something the club has accomplished four times in the past.

Their 29 wins this season is a new record as well, beating the 25 by Dortmund from last year, which was tied with the 1972-1973 Bayern side. Fourteen of those wins came back-to-back, four more than the previous record of 10 by Borussia Monchengladback and Wolfsburg. They lost only once, which is tied with the Bayern side from 1987.

Bayern broke another record of their own by conceding only 18 goals throughout the season, better than the 21 conceded by the 2007-2008 Bayern side. They finished with a clean sheet in 21 of their 34 matches, breaking the 19 set by Werder Bremen in 1988 and Bayern in 2002.

They became only the second club in the history of the Bundesliga to score a goal every match, equaling the achievement of FC Koln from 1964. Stretching back to last season, this makes 36 matches in a row with a goal scored, equaling the record set by the club in 1973 and 1974. Their goal difference of +80 blows the previous record (+64, Bayern in 1973) out of the water.

Maybe the most impressive thing about Bayern's season was their away record – They won 15 matches on the road (out of 17), beating the previous record of 11; They didn't lose a single match away from home, something only the Bayern team in 1987 did; Their 47 away points is a new record as well, 10 better than the 37 by Dortmund (2012) and Weder Bremen (2004); and also the longest away winning streak with 9, beating Dortmund's 8 from 2011. No one has conceded so few goals away from home (7), breaking the Bremen record of 10 from 1988.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Duque de Bragança

Benfica managed to lose it all this season:

- Portuguese league vs Porto by conceding a goal in the stoppage time
- Europa League vs Chel$ki by conceding a goal in the stoppage time (this one I was disappointed)
- Portuguese Cup vs a minor club (Vitoria Guimarães) by conceding two goals in the last 10 minutes

:lmfao:

ps : edited by Josephi request  :)

Tamas

"Chelski"  :rolleyes: that's what, 9 years old?

Josephus

Quote from: Tamas on May 27, 2013, 06:12:46 AM
"Chelski"  :rolleyes: that's what, 9 years old?

It needs the dollar sign too...Chel$ki
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Zanza

Quote from: Syt on May 27, 2013, 03:00:30 AM
Bayern Munich totally dominated the Bundesliga this season, and it's gonna be one for the ages.

You really have to wonder how Pep Guardiola can in any way improve on this season. He can at best win the treble again, but that's quite unlikely.

Syt

I think after this season, coming close to be as dominant would have to be counted a success. But yeah - it's gonna be very, very hard to top this season.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Tamas

The Larch

Liep

Quote from: Viking on May 16, 2013, 02:19:13 PM
Quote from: Liep on May 16, 2013, 02:18:00 PM
Quote from: Viking on May 16, 2013, 02:16:40 PM
Quote from: Liep on May 16, 2013, 02:13:25 PM
Reading up on forums about this and the opinion is quite divided with a little majority for a 16 team league.

is that because the supporters of the last 4 teams want them up?
More because the supporters of the bottom 8 teams wants them to stay up. :P

I thought 16-12 = 4 ?

anyways, isn't this development thing best solved by mandating u21 players in the match day squad?
I meant that the bottom 8 will stay up if the league is embiggened, thus securing their teams survival at top level.

Our U19 team is faring quite well atm, media dubbing them the "golden generation". Only 3 in the starting 11 are playing abroad, will be interesting to see how they'll do in the 21 bracket, and where they'll play.
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Sheilbh

Quote from: Tamas on June 03, 2013, 08:56:15 AM

And in managerial news that'll excite no-one but me, Everton have, at last, appointed Roberto Martinez :w00t: :wub:
Let's bomb Russia!

FunkMonk

Quote from: Sheilbh on June 05, 2013, 11:22:02 AM

And in managerial news that'll excite no-one but me, Everton have, at last, appointed Roberto Martinez :w00t: :wub:

A marriage made in heaven.
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

Warspite

Quote from: Sheilbh on June 05, 2013, 11:22:02 AM

So we can look forward to Everton playing miserably until the last eight matches from which they put in a series of storming victories?
" SIR – I must commend you on some of your recent obituaries. I was delighted to read of the deaths of Foday Sankoh (August 9th), and Uday and Qusay Hussein (July 26th). Do you take requests? "

OVO JE SRBIJA
BUDALO, OVO JE POSTA

Sheilbh

Quote from: Warspite on June 05, 2013, 02:01:27 PM
So we can look forward to Everton playing miserably until the last eight matches from which they put in a series of storming victories?
It'll make a pleasant change from playing miserably until January :lol:
Let's bomb Russia!