News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Football (Soccer) Thread

Started by Liep, March 11, 2009, 02:57:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jacob

Yeah, I read that in another article. It's still an interesting set up compared to the prevailing British and North American ones.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Zanza on May 24, 2013, 11:21:32 PM
VfL Wolfsburg is owned by Volkswagen AG and Bayer Leverkusen is owned by Bayer AG. Of course neither Volkswagen nor Bayer intend to make a profit with their teams and mainly use them for advertising and corporate social responsibility. And being responsible to their shareholders, they can't invest gigantic sums into their teams like those sheiks and oligarchs.

What prevents them from earning a return on investment?  Is the broadcast rights market in Germany run on feudal lines?

Zanza

I guess they could earn a return on that investment, but then football is not really their main line of business, rather an expensive "hobby" for the company bosses. A bit like racing team for other companies.

Although I am not sure if the statutes of the football league would allow taking money out of the company that runs the professional football. In reality, Volkswagen basically acts like a Russian oligarch and puts in money into the club. Probably not the obscene amounts that e.g. ManCity or PSG get, but still enough to make Wolfsburg, which would otherwise be at best in the second or third division, stay in the top flight. Bayer puts in some money, but apparently less than VW.

The broadcast rights in Germany are sold en bloc for the whole league and while Bayern gets more than the last club, it is not a huge difference like in Spain. 

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Zanza on May 25, 2013, 04:37:17 AM
The broadcast rights in Germany are sold en bloc for the whole league and while Bayern gets more than the last club, it is not a huge difference like in Spain.

There's the problem right there.  No upside incentive.

Zanza

It's generally considered a big advantage. Football thrives from competition, not from a single team dominating.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Zanza on May 25, 2013, 05:33:48 AM
It's generally considered a big advantage. Football thrives from competition, not from a single team dominating.

But the market for talent is global. :contract:

Zanza

Quote from: Admiral Yi on May 25, 2013, 06:01:44 AM
Quote from: Zanza on May 25, 2013, 05:33:48 AM

But the market for talent is global. :contract:
A majority of our players comes from the club's academies. Which are only possible because the TV money is shared.

Liep

So there was a clause in Götze's new contract forbidding him to play the final? :P
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Warspite

A lot of knob-gobbling going on in the UK press about German football at the moment, reflecting the general zeitgeist on the left here that everything teutonic must be emulated.
" SIR – I must commend you on some of your recent obituaries. I was delighted to read of the deaths of Foday Sankoh (August 9th), and Uday and Qusay Hussein (July 26th). Do you take requests? "

OVO JE SRBIJA
BUDALO, OVO JE POSTA

Josephus

Trying to get excited about this Cup final. Certainly lacking a sexy factor. Sure it will be good.
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Zanza

PDH

I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

Liep

Well that was a silly penalty.
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

katmai

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

Liep

Comment about Robben from Danish radio: "Good for him, you know, they say even his own mother doesn't really like him."