And we're back!

Main Menu

Football (Soccer) Thread

Started by Liep, March 11, 2009, 02:57:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sheilbh

Quote from: mongers on May 05, 2013, 06:43:36 PM
Quote from: Sheilbh on May 05, 2013, 06:35:45 PM
Went to the pub with an Argentine friend to watch the Merseyside derby. Not the best one  :Embarrass:

Pub, friend or match ?
:lol: Match. Superclasico it was not :(
Let's bomb Russia!

Josephus

Quote from: Sheilbh on May 05, 2013, 06:46:23 PM
Quote from: mongers on May 05, 2013, 06:43:36 PM
Quote from: Sheilbh on May 05, 2013, 06:35:45 PM
Went to the pub with an Argentine friend to watch the Merseyside derby. Not the best one  :Embarrass:

Pub, friend or match ?
:lol: Match. Superclasico it was not :(

End of season malaise setting in. The Man u. v. Chelsea game was also pretty slow.
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Ed Anger

Gerrard did have a constant angry face going in the derby. Sorta amusing.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

mongers

Quote from: Ed Anger on May 06, 2013, 07:53:00 AM

Still can't get over Yanks commentating/following English football clubs/matches, it's almost like you guys enjoy it.   :P
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Josephus

Quote from: mongers on May 06, 2013, 07:59:11 AM

Still can't get over Yanks commentating/following English football clubs/matches, it's almost like you guys enjoy it.   :P

WEll, the Premiership is just a tad better than MLS. ;)
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

crazy canuck

Yanks have by and large rejected hockey and like basketball.  We can infer, therefore, that yanks have good taste in sport and so will also like soccer.  Even though they tend to cheat when playing the sport.

Barrister

It is wierd - EPL games are getting more and more coverage over here.  It used to be you had to go to really obscure ethnic bars if you wanted a soccer fix, but now they're being covered on the major cable sports channels.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

mongers

Quote from: Barrister on May 06, 2013, 04:41:31 PM

It is wierd - EPL games are getting more and more coverage over here.  It used to be you had to go to really obscure ethnic bars if you wanted a soccer fix, but now they're being covered on the major cable sports channels.

No doubt someone like JR could tell us more.  I get the impression with the influx of 'foreign' money into the game, there's and effort to market the clubs as global franchises. Plus the American money into MU/the Glassier et al, might means those guys are promoting their clubs in North America sports market ?
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

FunkMonk

A lot Americans who played soccer as kids (like me) are grown up now and have jobs and degrees and families and want to spend money on trivial things like watching soccer so it's been receiving greater and greater coverage over the past several years, culminating in NBC taking over the English Premier League TV rights next season. If ten years ago you had told me that NBC would show English soccer on their main network I would have laughed all day long.

Now it is reality  :cry:

Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

Ed Anger

It's something to watch on Saturday and Sundays in the off season for me. Plus I'm hoping to see a bloody riot break out.

Josephus

Quote from: Ed Anger on May 06, 2013, 07:16:11 PM
It's something to watch on Saturday and Sundays in the off season for me. Plus I'm hoping to see a bloody riot break out.

It's no longer the 80s. British football has become, by and large, fairly safe and riot free. you need to start watching East Euro football for good old fashioned hooliganism.
Civis Romanus Sum

The Larch

Quote from: Josephus on May 07, 2013, 07:20:28 AM
Quote from: Ed Anger on May 06, 2013, 07:16:11 PM

It's no longer the 80s. British football has become, by and large, fairly safe and riot free. you need to start watching East Euro football for good old fashioned hooliganism.

Or the Turkish league, or lower leagues. The Premier became quite family friendly since the 90s.

Ed Anger

I got a police horse punched at least.

FunkMonk

European soccer is hilarious.
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

katmai

No more Sir Alex to kick around!

MANCHESTER, England (AP) -- Manchester United manager Alex Ferguson is retiring at the end of the season, bringing an end to more than 26 trophy-filled years at the club.

''The decision to retire is one that I have thought a great deal about and one that I have not taken lightly,'' Ferguson said in a statement on Wednesday. ''It is the right time.''

The club did not immediately announce a successor.

Since taking charge at Old Trafford in 1986, Ferguson has established himself as the most successful manager in British soccer history, having reversed a previous plan to retire at the end of the 2001-02 season.

After the Scotsman secured a 13th Premier League title two weeks ago - extending the club's record English championship haul to 20 - he declared that he had no retirement thoughts.

But now he has just two more matches left in charge of the club he has turned into one of the world's biggest sports teams.

''It was important to me to leave an organization in the strongest possible shape and I believe I have done so,'' Ferguson said. ''The quality of this league winning squad, and the balance of ages within it, bodes well for continued success at the highest level whilst the structure of the youth setup will ensure that the long-term future of the club remains a bright one.''

Ferguson will stay at the club as a director and an ambassador.

''With these activities, along with my many other interests, I am looking forward to the future,'' Ferguson said. ''I must pay tribute to my family, their love and support has been essential.''
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son