News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Football (Soccer) Thread

Started by Liep, March 11, 2009, 02:57:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Josephus

Wouldn't write Barca's obituary yet. They'll be back. They seemed really tired and ran out of steam. They're still a great team, and Messi is still pretty young.
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

katmai

Quote from: Tyr on May 02, 2013, 02:08:05 AM
Whatever happened to Barcelona being the best team ever and all that?
that was so 2012. Get with the program josi
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

katmai

Quote from: Josephus on May 02, 2013, 07:18:56 AM
Wouldn't write Barca's obituary yet. They'll be back. They seemed really tired and ran out of steam. They're still a great team, and Messi is still pretty young.
need an injection of youth in Centerbacks.

FunkMonk

The reaming Barca got was a perfect storm of Bayern hitting their peak in an already incredible season and Barcelona playing in a funk while Messi is not fit to play. Barcelona will be fine next season. Bayern, however, might have an even better season next year :o
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

Josephus

yeah, I do believe Bayern, and German football in general, is on the ascendancy
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Zanza

Quote from: katmai on May 02, 2013, 07:22:48 AM
need an injection of youth in Centerbacks.
Pique was pretty good in both games apart from the own goal and the frustration foul on Müller.

The Larch

The problem at Barcelona is that two of their sacred cows (Xavi and Pujol) are declining fast, their roster is still relatively short, when injuries pile up they run into problems to fill some positions and for some reasons they just don't believe in signing center backs. The coach being away for two monts to get treated for cancer didn't help either.

Zanza

Quote from: Josephus on May 02, 2013, 09:44:10 AM
yeah, I do believe Bayern, and German football in general, is on the ascendancy
I don't think so. Bayern was always among the best teams in Europe (it's their tenth final in the competition, only Milan and Real have more). Dortmund had a good few years, but I don't think they'll keep that up.

dps

Speaking of obituaries, a referee in Salt Lake City has died after being assaulted by a player in a youth league to whom he had given a yellow card:  http:

FunkMonk

Went to my local team's home game this Saturday and had a blast. Some pics I snapped:

The stadium is brand new and holds 8,000. It's quite a good soccer stadium I think. We drew 2-2.

katmai

What league are they playing in?

Josephus

Civis Romanus Sum

FunkMonk

The world famous NASL (second-tier). San Antonio Scorpions.

Sheilbh

Went to the pub with an Argentine friend to watch the Merseyside derby. Not the best one  :Embarrass:
Let's bomb Russia!

mongers

Quote from: Sheilbh on May 05, 2013, 06:35:45 PM
Went to the pub with an Argentine friend to watch the Merseyside derby. Not the best one  :Embarrass:

Pub, friend or match ?
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"