News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Football (Soccer) Thread

Started by Liep, March 11, 2009, 02:57:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PDH

Suck on that, Mexico.  Tim Howard gets a gold medal.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

FunkMonk

Klinsmann owns. I am happy tonight.  :)
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

Ed Anger

Quote from: FunkMonk on August 15, 2012, 09:09:58 PM
OMG first win ever in the Azteca LOLOLOLOLOLol

The Americans must have cheated.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

FunkMonk

Quote from: Ed Anger on August 15, 2012, 09:15:55 PM
Quote from: FunkMonk on August 15, 2012, 09:09:58 PM
OMG first win ever in the Azteca LOLOLOLOLOLol

The Americans must have cheated.

First win in 75 years in that stadium.

With our B team.  :lol:

katmai

QuoteLet's mark the 21st season of the Premiership with a comparative look back to 20 years ago.

— Just 13 non-British players started for their teams when the Premier League kicked off in August 1992. Nowadays, the Premiership is extremely cosmopolitan, with most teams fielding players from all over the world.

— In 1992, two Canadians — Craig Forrest and Frank Yallup — suited up for Ipswich Town. Since then, only another seven Canadians have plied their trade for the EPL. This includes Simeon Jackson, who will play for Norwich City this year. Forrest, a goalkeeper, was one of 13 "foreign" players to play on Aug. 15, 1992. He also holds an unenviable Premiership record: most goals conceded (nine) in one game. Ooops.

— In contrast, 34 U.S.-born players have played in the EPL, including the first, John Harkes (for Sheffield Wednesday) and current US internationals Landon Donovan (Everton) and Tim Howard (Manchester United & Everton).

— In 1992, the top transfer fee paid by a British club before the start of the inaugural EPL season was £3.3 million (when Blackburn Rovers poached Alan Shearer from Southampton). In 2012, the top fee paid was by Chelsea for Eden Hazard (from Lille) for a whopping £32 million.

— In 1992, Manchester United's Alex Ferguson paid Cambridge United (who were in the second tier of the English Football league) £1 million for striker Dion Dublin. Two days ago, "Fergie" forked out £22.5 million for Robin Van Persie, to the global horror of Arsenal fans. Cambridge now plays in the fifth tier of the league, by the way. Fergie is hoping RVP can do better than Dion — who only played 12 times for United, scoring just twice (that's £500,000 a goal).

— After the 1992-93 season, speedy winger Ryan Giggs was named the Professional Footballers Association "Young Player of the Year." Now, 20 years on, Giggs is still playing for Manchester United — the only team he has ever played for. He's still not half bad! And he is English football's most decorated player, with 12 league titles, 4 FA Cup medals, 3 League Cup medals and 2 Champions League titles.

— Alex Ferguson is the only remaining manager from the 1992-1993 season. Andre Villa-Boas, the current manager for Tottenham, was just 14 years old when Fergie lifted the EPL trophy for the first time. Dean Hammond, current Captain of new boys Southampton, was just 9 years old, bless him.

— Arsenal can fit more than 60,000 screaming fans into their stadium this season, compared to just 24,000 in 1992. That is 36,000 more balti pies that can be eaten in 90 minutes.

— Brian Deane of Sheffield United scored the first-ever EPL goal at approximately 3:05 p.m. on August 15, 1992, against Manchester United. He is now a lawyer.

— A glance at some members of the first-ever EPL season makes for interesting reading now: Nottingham Forest (currently playing in the Championship), Oldham (now third-tier football), Swindon Town (which played fourth-tier football last year) and Wimbledon, which became the MK Dons before being reborn into AFC Wimbledon, playing in League Two (fourth tier).
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

Ed Anger

LOLerpool:

http://gif.mocksession.com/2012/08/liverpoo/

Andy Carroll is clearly the farter. Also the game result:  :lol:

PDH

Carroll's farts probably smell like horse shit.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

Ed Anger

Quote from: PDH on August 18, 2012, 07:43:03 PM
Carroll's farts probably smell like horse shit.

All Geordies do. Shit, vomit and coal dust.

FunkMonk

Quote from: Ed Anger on August 18, 2012, 07:36:54 PM
LOLerpool:

http://gif.mocksession.com/2012/08/liverpoo/

Andy Carroll is clearly the farter. Also the game result:  :lol:

Now officially your favorite player.  :lol:

Ed Anger

Ed Anger

If you fuckheads aren't watching the Everton-Man U game, you should. Everton up one at 58 minutes.

Good stuff.

FunkMonk

Yeah I saw that. Super game. I'm going to do my Sheilbh impression now:

Everton  :wub:

Ed Anger

Andy Carroll meanwhile, farted again.

Josquius

So, prem predictions?
I see us (Sunderland) ending up rather blandly in mid-table again.
Winners...will Man City do it again considering they've now had time to gel and managed it even when nascant? It seems highly possible. Man Utd have made some decent new signings though and...well they're Man Utd.
██████
██████
██████

Liep

I've recently become a Swansea fan, so I'm hoping they do well and end up just above Sunderland in the mid-table.
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk