And we're back!

Main Menu

Football (Soccer) Thread

Started by Liep, March 11, 2009, 02:57:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Warspite

Quote from: Viking on April 24, 2012, 05:33:07 PM
Quote from: FunkMonk on April 24, 2012, 04:23:13 PM

Interesting. Chelsea essentially played 6-3-0 for the second half. With that many players packing the box and occupying space their limited choices of central defenders maybe weren't as problematic as they would have been normally.

Chelseas subs were Boswinga for Cahill (offensive back for a central defender), Kalou for Mata ("like" for "like") and Torres for Drogba (blank shooter for godlike awesom). There were alot of chelsea players who are better known for their offensive skills rather than their defensive ones.

Barca breaks down established defenses by moving the ball around forcing the defense to open up a gap which can be exploited or force the defense to allow one of its dribblers enough space and time to create a gap. To be blunt your central defenders will not be contributing to stopping this, they will react to the gaps. They are not looking for crosses or target men, they keep the ball in the team and if you can keep their opportunities to exploit space to low success percentages. Basically seeing the passing go Messi to Xavi to Busquets to Xavi to Iniesta to Xavi to Messi to Xavi for 45 minutes without any passes to open the defense is what chelsea was aiming for and seems to have gotten. If you are going to defend like that you'll prefer fast skilfull players to strong motivated players.

Centre backs do not just exist to stop crosses and target men. To counter Barca's ball movement you need exceptionally aware defenders who are comfortable operating right in front of the goal and excellent tacklers while also being supreme anticipators to know when to move up to stop a move. All the while, displaying outstanding positioning and calmness. In other words, world class centre backs. Let's not forget Chelsea were carved open twice and could quite easily have been down by more. I agree with you if you are really saying that you don't need brutish tacklers to stop Barca's style, as re-reading your post you seem to be suggesting that a Koscielny-type defender is required - fast and skilful.
" SIR – I must commend you on some of your recent obituaries. I was delighted to read of the deaths of Foday Sankoh (August 9th), and Uday and Qusay Hussein (July 26th). Do you take requests? "

OVO JE SRBIJA
BUDALO, OVO JE POSTA

Ed Anger

Quote from: katmai on April 24, 2012, 05:45:08 PM
Quote from: Warspite on April 24, 2012, 05:42:57 PM
I would advise Chelsea fans to not start sucking each other's dicks quite yet: they're still outsiders for fouth place in the PL.

Let's go Newcastle!

Geordie fags.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Warspite

Quote from: FunkMonk on April 24, 2012, 06:08:42 PM
Chelsea invented new football positions tonight: inside and outside fullbacks.

I still don't rate Di Matteo as a manager yet. People forget his previous managerial experiences and the fact that a lot of the Chelsea squad's revitalisation is, I suspect, part of a desire to rescue their reputation after essentially having forced AVB out. I would advise Chelsea fans to not start sucking each other's dicks quite yet: they're still outsiders for fouth place in the PL.

I'd say I have been as skeptical of Chelsea under di Matteo as you are, but today's game convinced me otherwise. I know Barca has been running on fumes recently, but holding them off over two legs in a Champions League semifinal is a pretty great accomplishment.

Sure, but then again Chelsea were a few pieces of woodwork away from being ignomiously dumped out.

This sort of fortune is all well and good in cups, but ultimately you are a big club because of your league position, and as they say the karma always evens out over a season.
" SIR – I must commend you on some of your recent obituaries. I was delighted to read of the deaths of Foday Sankoh (August 9th), and Uday and Qusay Hussein (July 26th). Do you take requests? "

OVO JE SRBIJA
BUDALO, OVO JE POSTA

Sheilbh

Quote from: Viking on April 24, 2012, 05:33:07 PMBarca breaks down established defenses by moving the ball around forcing the defense to open up a gap which can be exploited or force the defense to allow one of its dribblers enough space and time to create a gap. To be blunt your central defenders will not be contributing to stopping this, they will react to the gaps. They are not looking for crosses or target men, they keep the ball in the team and if you can keep their opportunities to exploit space to low success percentages. Basically seeing the passing go Messi to Xavi to Busquets to Xavi to Iniesta to Xavi to Messi to Xavi for 45 minutes without any passes to open the defense is what chelsea was aiming for and seems to have gotten. If you are going to defend like that you'll prefer fast skilfull players to strong motivated players.
Isn't a lot of this what Bielsa tends to do?  Play a fast skilful midfielder in defence because they're often able to read the game better, are quicker and more skilful, but also able to start an attack from defence very, very quickly. 

I like di Matteo and thought he had a tough break with West Brom. 

QuoteLet's go Newcastle!
Yeah :)
Let's bomb Russia!

katmai

Well Arky they gotta secure a Champions League spot next season somehow, right :P
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

katmai

Quote from: Ed Anger on April 24, 2012, 06:15:24 PM
I would advise Chelsea fans to not start sucking each other's dicks quite yet: they're still outsiders for fouth place in the PL.

Let's go Newcastle!

Geordie fags.

I remember watching them with Les Ferdinand and Alan Shearer while I was drinking Newcastle Brown almost 20 years ago, you bandwaggoning Liverpuddian fag.
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

Ed Anger

Quote from: katmai on April 24, 2012, 06:23:38 PM
Quote from: Ed Anger on April 24, 2012, 06:15:24 PM

Let's go Newcastle!

Geordie fags.

I remember watching them with Les Ferdinand and Alan Shearer while I was drinking Newcastle Brown almost 20 years ago, you bandwaggoning Liverpuddian fag.

I didn't know the north needed Mexicans to bring in the crops.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

FunkMonk

Quote from: Warspite on April 24, 2012, 06:17:26 PM
Quote from: FunkMonk on April 24, 2012, 06:08:42 PM
Chelsea invented new football positions tonight: inside and outside fullbacks.

I still don't rate Di Matteo as a manager yet. People forget his previous managerial experiences and the fact that a lot of the Chelsea squad's revitalisation is, I suspect, part of a desire to rescue their reputation after essentially having forced AVB out. I would advise Chelsea fans to not start sucking each other's dicks quite yet: they're still outsiders for fouth place in the PL.

I'd say I have been as skeptical of Chelsea under di Matteo as you are, but today's game convinced me otherwise. I know Barca has been running on fumes recently, but holding them off over two legs in a Champions League semifinal is a pretty great accomplishment.

Sure, but then again Chelsea were a few pieces of woodwork away from being ignomiously dumped out.

This sort of fortune is all well and good in cups, but ultimately you are a big club because of your league position, and as they say the karma always evens out over a season.

True enough. I agree with you that their resurrection is mainly attributable to their wounded egos trying to redress their league position. And, except for Arsenal and Barcelona, their competition since AVB's sacking have been middling or out-of-form teams that you would expect a normal Chelsea side to defeat.

I know I won't be surprised to see di Matteo gone in the summer, but a part of me thinks The Russian may give him a chance next season in light of this victory. If he doesn't work out he'll just sack him like he does everyone else :D
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

FunkMonk

Quote from: Sheilbh on April 24, 2012, 06:22:20 PM

Isn't a lot of this what Bielsa tends to do?  Play a fast skilful midfielder in defence because they're often able to read the game better, are quicker and more skilful, but also able to start an attack from defence very, very quickly. 

Sorta like Mascherano now.

FunkMonk

Quote from: Ed Anger on April 24, 2012, 06:26:50 PM
Quote from: katmai on April 24, 2012, 06:23:38 PM

I didn't know the north needed Mexicans to bring in the crops.

:lol:

Viking

Quote from: Sheilbh on April 24, 2012, 06:22:20 PM

I like di Matteo and thought he had a tough break with West Brom. 

Nils Arne Eggen has been doing it since the 1980s starting with this guy, Sverre Brandhaug.

also, Eggen is almost as crazy as Bielsa, but much more sociable.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Zanza

Very tight game, ending in penalty shootout...

Viking

Ronaldo Misses!!!!! Real can win now, I'm satisfied.

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Viking

Kaka misses as well, Manuel Neuer is having a good day.

Viking

Kroos and Lahm have missed as well, Casillas is having a good day as well.