News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Football (Soccer) Thread

Started by Liep, March 11, 2009, 02:57:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Josephus

Nothing better in the world than Champions League football. Nothing.
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

FunkMonk

I wonder how many Mexicans and Turks I'll see tomorrow wearing a Barca shirt. :hmm:
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

katmai

Quote from: FunkMonk on April 24, 2012, 03:49:56 PM
I wonder how many Mexicans and Turks I'll see tomorrow wearing a Barca shirt. :hmm:

How many did you see today?  :huh:
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

Viking

I've got to say that coming back from two goals down with 10 men on the pitch losing your captain and only competent central defender against barcelona with torres as striker really has to be one of the greatest achievements within the sport this year.

I think the search for a manager has ended, give the job to bob.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Pedrito

Quote from: Josephus on April 24, 2012, 03:48:10 PM
Nothing better in the world than Champions League football. Nothing.
You're so right. :yes:

About Chelsea, it seems that Di Matteo has given some squareness at least.

And Drogba is probably a horrible cheater, but what. a. player.

L.
b / h = h / b+h

27 Zoupa Points, redeemable at the nearest liquor store! :woot:

FunkMonk

Quote from: katmai on April 24, 2012, 03:53:56 PM
Quote from: FunkMonk on April 24, 2012, 03:49:56 PM

How many did you see today?  :huh:

On campus I see Mexicans/Arabs/Turks in either Barca or Real Madrid kit all the time. Only white people wear English clubs here.  :lol:

FunkMonk

Quote from: Viking on April 24, 2012, 03:54:30 PM

Agreed. He turned a mediocre team into a Champions League finalist.

Tamas

OMG what a game. What an effort. MY HEART!!!!

The final will be played by the reserve squad btw. Terry, Ivanovic, Ramirez, Meireiles, all gone for it.

Tamas

Quote from: FunkMonk on April 24, 2012, 03:59:24 PM
Quote from: Viking on April 24, 2012, 03:54:30 PM

Agreed. He turned a mediocre team into a Champions League finalist.

Grant also led them to the final. Although it is different now, they clearly have chemistry with dimatteo

Viking

Quote from: Tamas on April 24, 2012, 04:05:10 PM
OMG what a game. What an effort. MY HEART!!!!

The final will be played by the reserve squad btw. Terry, Ivanovic, Ramirez, Meireiles, all gone for it.

Regarding player availability, in the defense after terry's sending off chelsea was defending with three fullbacks and defensive midfielder, which sort of begs the question, why the hell does anybody need out and out central defenders when playing against barcelona?

Cole - Luiz - Cahill - Boswinga

works as a defensive line... eh .. sort of... it has Luiz in it, so maybe not...

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

FunkMonk

Quote from: Viking on April 24, 2012, 04:12:23 PM
Regarding player availability, in the defense after terry's sending off chelsea was defending with three fullbacks and defensive midfielder, which sort of begs the question, why the hell does anybody need out and out central defenders when playing against barcelona?

Interesting. Chelsea essentially played 6-3-0 for the second half. With that many players packing the box and occupying space their limited choices of central defenders maybe weren't as problematic as they would have been normally.

Viking

Quote from: FunkMonk on April 24, 2012, 04:23:13 PM

Interesting. Chelsea essentially played 6-3-0 for the second half. With that many players packing the box and occupying space their limited choices of central defenders maybe weren't as problematic as they would have been normally.

Chelseas subs were Boswinga for Cahill (offensive back for a central defender), Kalou for Mata ("like" for "like") and Torres for Drogba (blank shooter for godlike awesom). There were alot of chelsea players who are better known for their offensive skills rather than their defensive ones.

Barca breaks down established defenses by moving the ball around forcing the defense to open up a gap which can be exploited or force the defense to allow one of its dribblers enough space and time to create a gap. To be blunt your central defenders will not be contributing to stopping this, they will react to the gaps. They are not looking for crosses or target men, they keep the ball in the team and if you can keep their opportunities to exploit space to low success percentages. Basically seeing the passing go Messi to Xavi to Busquets to Xavi to Iniesta to Xavi to Messi to Xavi for 45 minutes without any passes to open the defense is what chelsea was aiming for and seems to have gotten. If you are going to defend like that you'll prefer fast skilfull players to strong motivated players.

Warspite

Chelsea invented new football positions tonight: inside and outside fullbacks.

I still don't rate Di Matteo as a manager yet. People forget his previous managerial experiences and the fact that a lot of the Chelsea squad's revitalisation is, I suspect, part of a desire to rescue their reputation after essentially having forced AVB out. I would advise Chelsea fans to not start sucking each other's dicks quite yet: they're still outsiders for fouth place in the PL.
" SIR – I must commend you on some of your recent obituaries. I was delighted to read of the deaths of Foday Sankoh (August 9th), and Uday and Qusay Hussein (July 26th). Do you take requests? "

OVO JE SRBIJA
BUDALO, OVO JE POSTA

katmai

Quote from: Warspite on April 24, 2012, 05:42:57 PM
I would advise Chelsea fans to not start sucking each other's dicks quite yet: they're still outsiders for fouth place in the PL.

Let's go Newcastle!
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

FunkMonk

Quote from: Warspite on April 24, 2012, 05:42:57 PM
Chelsea invented new football positions tonight: inside and outside fullbacks.

I still don't rate Di Matteo as a manager yet. People forget his previous managerial experiences and the fact that a lot of the Chelsea squad's revitalisation is, I suspect, part of a desire to rescue their reputation after essentially having forced AVB out. I would advise Chelsea fans to not start sucking each other's dicks quite yet: they're still outsiders for fouth place in the PL.

I'd say I have been as skeptical of Chelsea under di Matteo as you are, but today's game convinced me otherwise. I know Barca has been running on fumes recently, but holding them off over two legs in a Champions League semifinal is a pretty great accomplishment.