News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Football (Soccer) Thread

Started by Liep, March 11, 2009, 02:57:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PDH

Those leagues have one (or two) teams that are among the better(ish) teams in Europe from time to time, the MSL seems to be like the "league right under the top league" teams in most of the major European leagues.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: Admiral Yi on April 08, 2012, 03:36:16 PM
So something like the Dutch or Portuguese league?

Not even so. The Portuguese league is even above the French league, at least according to the UEFA coefficient.
http://www.uefa.com/memberassociations/uefarankings/country/index.html

Results over the last 5 seasons to give some perspective.

PS: this could change if the Paris Saint-German uses well its newfound Qatari money. They won 2-1 vs Marseilles tonight, a sine qua non victory to stay in the fight for the title but not sufficient.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: PDH on April 08, 2012, 05:17:29 PM
the MSL seems to be like the "league right under the top league" teams in most of the major European leagues.

Say what now?

Warspite

The opinion of MLS is improving because the quality is getting better, but right now it's still on par with second or third tier football in the UK.

The Dutch and Portugese leagues have some famous teams but have been hit by the concentration of talent in an ever smaller number of big, continental outfits. Nevertheless, Dutch and Portugese players remain of a very high general quality. The Dutch particularly so because of the importance placed on technique from an early age. I don't know about the Portugese youth system but I would presume so as well.
" SIR – I must commend you on some of your recent obituaries. I was delighted to read of the deaths of Foday Sankoh (August 9th), and Uday and Qusay Hussein (July 26th). Do you take requests? "

OVO JE SRBIJA
BUDALO, OVO JE POSTA

Admiral Yi

Never mind Peedy, I got it now.  MLS is AAA or AA.

Ed Anger

I enjoyed Balotelli's petulance and Ryu style flying kicks to the knees today.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Warspite

Quote from: Ed Anger on April 08, 2012, 08:09:39 PM

Fuck Balotelli, that tackle almost ended Song's career.
" SIR – I must commend you on some of your recent obituaries. I was delighted to read of the deaths of Foday Sankoh (August 9th), and Uday and Qusay Hussein (July 26th). Do you take requests? "

OVO JE SRBIJA
BUDALO, OVO JE POSTA

Ed Anger

Somebody send Balotelli after Andy Carroll.

FunkMonk

Quote from: Warspite on April 08, 2012, 08:12:36 PM
Quote from: Ed Anger on April 08, 2012, 08:09:39 PM

Fuck Balotelli, that tackle almost ended Song's career.

Yeah that was vicious. He got what he deserved in the end though.
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

FunkMonk

Quote from: Ed Anger on April 08, 2012, 08:17:03 PM
:XD:

I don't know if you saw Liverpool lose to Newcastle, but Andy was pretty much humiliated against his old club.

Then he threw a fit walking off the field when he was subbed.

Personally, I wouldn't be surprised to see Carroll sold in the summer anyway, but if they don't get rid of him I'd expect to see a lot less of him next season.

Ed Anger

I saw bits and pieces of it.  :lol:

Warspite

Quote from: FunkMonk on April 08, 2012, 08:48:56 PM
Quote from: Ed Anger on April 08, 2012, 08:17:03 PM
:XD:

I don't know if you saw Liverpool lose to Newcastle, but Andy was pretty much humiliated against his old club.

Then he threw a fit walking off the field when he was subbed.

Personally, I wouldn't be surprised to see Carroll sold in the summer anyway, but if they don't get rid of him I'd expect to see a lot less of him next season.

Here's the incident from another angle:

OVO JE SRBIJA
BUDALO, OVO JE POSTA

katmai

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

FunkMonk

Ed Anger

I liked that wee tiny stadium. I could have put it in my trenchcoat pocket.