And we're back!

Main Menu

Football (Soccer) Thread

Started by Liep, March 11, 2009, 02:57:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Liep

Quote from: Liep on October 09, 2021, 10:45:37 PM
7-0-0 26-0

Just give us gold and cancel that December tournament.

8-0-0 27-0
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Jacob

Quote from: Liep on October 13, 2021, 03:50:48 AM
8-0-0 27-0

I really appreciate the unselfish pass type of goal like that.

Jacob

Other developments - Albanian fans throw stuff at Polish team. Hungarian fans fight with English police. A bit of a mess.

Liep

Quote from: Jacob on October 13, 2021, 11:35:22 AM
8-0-0 27-0

I was out seeing Dune for a second time so can't really comment. :P
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Jacob

You should find a highlight reel then.

... on the topic of highlight reels, I've noticed the trend of click-farmers positng fake highlight reels using EA FIFA footage. What a world we live in....

crazy canuck

Big game today against Panama.  As it turns out Mrs. CC was in the same hotel as team Canada last night and wished them well - so they are bound to do well.  No one in their right mind would want to disappoint Mrs. CC.   :D

FunkMonk

Quote from: crazy canuck on October 13, 2021, 01:42:28 PM
Big game today against Panama.  As it turns out Mrs. CC was in the same hotel as team Canada last night and wished them well - so they are bound to do well.  No one in their right mind would want to disappoint Mrs. CC.   :D

Looks like they're smashing the Panamanians so good on her  :lol:
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

Barrister

Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Zoupa

Davies is the real deal. The rest of the team though... Even if Canada qualifies, they won't make it out of the group stage.

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: Jacob on October 13, 2021, 11:35:22 AM
8-0-0 27-0

Saying Denmark qualified early, second only to Germany, for the Qatar World Cup would have been too easy. An easy qualification group yes, but still quite a performance that winning streak.

Jacob

Yeah, it was a fairly easy group I think. Obviously it's a nice record, but I don't think it's necessarily indicative

Sort of related, there's been some discussions about boycotting the World Cup because it's in Qatar - something like 6,500 migrant workers have apparently died as part of the preparation work - but I don't think it's going to fly.

Barrister

Alphonso Davies game-winning goal in the win over Panama is a thing of beauty.

https://twitter.com/i/status/1448454617667358724

Josephus

Quote from: Zoupa on October 14, 2021, 12:43:40 AM
Davies is the real deal. The rest of the team though... Even if Canada qualifies, they won't make it out of the group stage.

Given that they will be seeded fourth in any group they're in; it is very unlikely they would. You're right. But i don't think they'd expect to. I think they'd be happy with a point, or perhaps a win,
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Barrister

Quote from: Josephus on October 14, 2021, 01:54:43 PM
Quote from: Zoupa on October 14, 2021, 12:43:40 AM

Given that they will be seeded fourth in any group they're in; it is very unlikely they would. You're right. But i don't think they'd expect to. I think they'd be happy with a point, or perhaps a win,

On the one hand, never say never.  You do see some upsets happen in the group stage from time to time.  It's not impossible for them to be something of a cinderella story.

But on the other hand, the Canadian Men have made it to exactly one World Cup ever, in 1986, where they failed to score a single game.  The team will very much be in the "just happy to be here" kind of mood.

Josephus

Yeah, also let's not count any chickens yet. Still a tough road to the cup. They have some tough road games to play in Costa Rica, Panama and El Salvador. Their last game is in Panama, which could end up being a key decider.
If we take for granted that Mexico and USA grab spots 1 and 2, and three teams qualify automatically, there's gonna be a lot of teams fighting for spot 3.
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011