News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Football (Soccer) Thread

Started by Liep, March 11, 2009, 02:57:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FunkMonk

Canada look the real deal and I hope they qualify.
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

Barrister

Quote from: FunkMonk on October 08, 2021, 12:38:05 PM

It would be the first time they qualified since 1986 (and even then they only qualified because Mexico got in as the host country, thus opening up another spot from CONCACAF).  Heck this is the furthest they've even gone in qualifications in something like 20 years.

Plus since we're supposed to co-host the thing in 2026 it would be nice to know the men's team can get in legitimately, and not just on the strength of being the co-host.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Tamas

The 19 other Premier League clubs want an emergency meeting because of the league approving the Newcastle takeover by Saud Arabia because the "brand could be damaged".  :lol:

crazy canuck

Quote from: FunkMonk on October 08, 2021, 12:38:05 PM

They look not terrible.  For the first time in a long time they are scoring goals. I have fingers and toes crossed.

Josephus

Quote from: Barrister on October 08, 2021, 11:52:06 AM
I'm not a soccer guy, but I'm getting hyped for the Canadian men's team.  They could actually pull this off!  With a record of 1-0-3 they're undefeated.

They're sitting third in the CONCACAF standings - and top three automatically qualify.  Sitting in 4th is Panama (Mexico and USA sitting 1 and 2 respectively).

Canada has games coming up against Jamaica (which is winless), then Panama (which would be huge), then those games in Edmonton I mentioned against Costa Rica and Mexico in November, and finish up with games against Honduras, USA, El Salvador (x2), Panama and Jamaica.

Still lots of soccer left to play, but they're positioning themselves nicely.

No doubt this is the best Canadian squad ever. they played well against Mexico and deserved to win. Will be watching them play Panama on Wednesday
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Admiral Yi

Zoupa

Liep

7-0-0 26-0

Just give us gold and cancel that December tournament.
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Jacob

Moldova isn't exactly a powerhouse tho'.

Duque de Bragança

(UEFA) Nations League final starts now! Will the trophy stay in Iberia, that would be Spain winning or will go to les Bleus?

Earlier on, Belgium lost 1-2 to Italy. Both teams had changed line-ups to give substitutes a chance to play in this tournament.

Will Américo Lapuerta score a goal for la Roja?  :P

Eastern Iberians will be happy to know that I root for la Roja.  :P

Josquius

The what? Eh? Who? Why? Que?
██████
██████
██████

Duque de Bragança

France 2 Spain 1

Seems Spain scoring first, in the second half, was the worst thing to happen to them.  :D

Second French goal seemed off-side to me but was accepted nonetheless.
Even the French commentators seemed to see it as off-side in the beginning then claimed later on it was deflected by a Spaniard, so putting it back onside.

Admiral Yi

Josquius

██████
██████
██████