News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Football (Soccer) Thread

Started by Liep, March 11, 2009, 02:57:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Liep

"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

HVC

Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

PDH

Get his non-union Mexican equivalent!
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

The Larch

Quote from: celedhring on August 05, 2021, 01:02:04 PM
Messi's leaving  :cry:

It's been such a strange day yesterday. One moment they were reporting that they were really close to announcing that they'd come to an arrangement for registering him and the league announces their big deal that'd give the clubs a ton of free money to clean up house, and then they swerve and almost a month before player registration closes they announce that a deal is impossible and basically cut ties and wash their hands. I'm really curious about what Laporta will say today in his press conference.

The Larch

Well, so Laporta has spoken. Don't know if there's a point by point summary somewhere, but apparently it all boils down to:

- The club's financial situation is ruinous at the moment, due to the previous board mismanagement and living above their means for several years.
- The league's operation to give the clubs some last minute economic relief would imply a long term mortgaging of the club's income. (This would normally deserve some further clarification, but not much info has been made public about that deal)
- He does not want to keep giving false hopes and, despite all the efforts by all sides, an arrangement to fit Messi in the club's league imposed wage structure is impossible.
- Their intention was to keep Messi for a further two years and defer those payments to five years further into the future, but this was not accepted by the league.
- They regret that the league is not more flexible with the wage cap, but understand that those are the rules and they have to abide by them.

Cel, what is being reported over there? Am I missing something?

Threviel

So, in essence it's La Ligas fault because they won't bend enough backwards and they don't want to give Barcelona free money?

Duque de Bragança

Blaming Tebas is a tempting option indeed.  :P

Time for the QSG jokes with Messi now!

The Larch

Quote from: Threviel on August 06, 2021, 07:49:35 AM
So, in essence it's La Ligas fault because they won't bend enough backwards and they don't want to give Barcelona free money?

No, the current board blames mostly the previous board for leaving such a financial wasteland behind. The comment about the league is mostly of the "we'd wish they were more flexible, but what can you do, it's the rules" variety, and saying that the money from the deal they just reached came with too many strings attached, but they don't blame the league for Messi leaving. There's still tension between the League and the club, but it predates this situation.

The Larch

Quote from: Duque de Bragança on August 06, 2021, 07:52:23 AM
Blaming Tebas is a tempting option indeed.  :P

Time for the QSG jokes with Messi now!

Tebas didn't waste any time in poking Laporta as soon as he finished his press conference, as apparently one of the reasons why Barcelona (and Real Madrid) dislike the League deal that had been recently announced was because it conflicted with the Super League project (that flabbergastingly has not yet been fully abandoned by RM and Barça).

Sheilbh

Quote from: The Larch on August 06, 2021, 08:12:02 AM
Tebas didn't waste any time in poking Laporta as soon as he finished his press conference, as apparently one of the reasons why Barcelona (and Real Madrid) dislike the League deal that had been recently announced was because it conflicted with the Super League project (that flabbergastingly has not yet been fully abandoned by RM and Barça).
Their business reason to need the ESL is even more present now: they're in a difficult financial position and at the same time Man City have broken the Premier League record to sign Jack Grealish and may break it again to sign Harry Kane. That rationale for wanting a super league with lots of money for the clubs in it and really strict controls on spending is still there and getting more urgent.

I've seen tinfoil stuff in the UK about whether this is all an attempt by Barcelona to convince La Liga to drop the salary cap or fudge the rules for Barcelona or lose the biggest star. But from what you guys are saying it seems a lot more serious/real.
Let's bomb Russia!

The Larch

Quote from: Sheilbh on August 06, 2021, 08:16:35 AMI've seen tinfoil stuff in the UK about whether this is all an attempt by Barcelona to convince La Liga to drop the salary cap or fudge the rules for Barcelona or lose the biggest star. But from what you guys are saying it seems a lot more serious/real.

Yeah, I've seen lots of journos highlighting how this is not a power move or a negotiation tactic, but the cold, bleak reality of the horrible financial situation Barcelona is in at the moment.

HVC

how'd the mess up their financial situation so bad? i thought money was rolling in for them in the last decade?
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Tamas

Quote from: HVC on August 06, 2021, 08:59:08 AM
how'd the mess up their financial situation so bad? i thought money was rolling in for them in the last decade?

As countless countries can attest through history, there is no amount of wealth you can't burn through if you put your mind to it.

Sheilbh

This is doing the rounds and explains some of their issues:
Let's bomb Russia!

Josquius

Could it finally see the bubble pop?
If Barcelona can get into such a financial mess... A team which is practically a money printing machine....
██████
██████
██████