News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Football (Soccer) Thread

Started by Liep, March 11, 2009, 02:57:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Josephus

Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Josquius

Quote from: Sheilbh on July 26, 2016, 04:45:43 PM
Quote from: Zanza on July 18, 2016, 12:44:32 PM
After 1966, England reached three semifinals (1968, 1990, and 1996).

In the same time Germany reached 18 semifinals and won six tournaments, Italy reached 11 semifinals and won three tournaments, France reached 8 semifinals and won three tournaments, Spain reached four semifinals and won three tournaments, Holland reached ten semifinals and won one tournament and Portugal reached six semifinals and won one tournament.

The Czech Republic has a better record with four semifinals and a win...

So yeah, England's competitive record is not particularly impressive.
And as has been pointed out, with that record we're getting sniffy about Sam Allardyce? :lol:

On the other hand Tyr can be calm. I'm fairly sure Sunderland will be fine with Moyes. Though it looks like he might just be rebuilding the Everton team of 2009, you might make a move for Fellaini soon :mellow:
I hope I get to touch his hair.
██████
██████
██████

Sheilbh

Someone just pointed me in the direction of this decade old review of Maradona's autobiography by Martin Amis, it is superb:
https://www.theguardian.com/football/2004/oct/01/sport.sportandleisurebooks
Let's bomb Russia!

Liep

All our u-23 talent that has already established themselves in international football is now out of the Olympic team. I know no one really cares about that tournament, but it could've been a little fun at least. :(
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

The Larch

Hey Liep, my team is rumoured to be chasing Pione Sisto from Midtjylland, is he any good? I see that he's already a full Denmark international.

Liep

When he's good he's really good and can change a game (in the Danish league), but he seems to have a lot of off days. It could help him I think to play in a better league, or he could fade out completely :P
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

The Larch

Quote from: Liep on July 28, 2016, 05:53:43 AM
When he's good he's really good and can change a game (in the Danish league), but he seems to have a lot of off days. It could help him I think to play in a better league, or he could fade out completely :P

Mmm, could be interesting then but the off days issue might be a red flag. We already have another Dane, Daniel wass, so that could be helpful for Sisto if he ends up coming. Let's see how it goes!

Liep

Speaking of Thomas Christensen, he's apparently now a coach for Apoel and have just beaten Rosenborg in the CL qualifier.

And I think Sisto will do fine, at least all the sports papers here said good words about that choice of club and league.

The Larch

Quote from: Liep on August 02, 2016, 03:16:20 PM
Speaking of Thomas Christensen, he's apparently now a coach for Apoel and have just beaten Rosenborg in the CL qualifier.

And I think Sisto will do fine, at least all the sports papers here said good words about that choice of club and league.

Really? What did they say about my team? We already have another Dane, Wass, as well as Sweden's Guidetti, so we might end up with a few Scandi fans.  :lol:

Liep

All four Danish teams advanced to the next round in the European qualifiers. :mellow:

I think this might be one of the signs of the apocalypse.

Liep

But our Olympic team failed to score against Iraq. So there's balance still I guess. :P

Liep

What a brutal way to exit the EL for Aberdeen. :lol:

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: Liep on August 04, 2016, 03:14:52 PM
But our Olympic team failed to score against Iraq. So there's balance still I guess. :P

Quote from: Liep on July 28, 2016, 02:00:36 AM
All our u-23 talent that has already established themselves in international football is now out of the Olympic team. I know no one really cares about that tournament, but it could've been a little fun at least. :(

In other news, just to show Liep that some people care about the Olympic football tournament, goalkeepers are not impressive, at least for yesterday's games involving Algeria and Argentina.

As for balance, Portugal won 2-0 against Argentina (one fluke for the otherwise good Argentine goalkeeper), with a B U-23 squad, yet well playing team, since most Portuguese clubs would not free their U-23 players for the Olympic tournament. Stadium was full and Brazilians cheered for Portugal, unsurprisingly. :) Game was broadcasted on a free French channel, somewhat of a surprise or not too well announced. Only caught the last third of it, after midnight.

Honduras won 3-2 vs Algeria, again a fluke, by the Algerian goalkeeper. Argentina-Algeria death match already ?

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Liep on August 05, 2016, 03:09:20 AM
What a brutal way to exit the EL for Aberdeen. :lol:

One of the most entertaining things about watching sports is seeing a player fuck up horribly.

Josephus

Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011