News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Football (Soccer) Thread

Started by Liep, March 11, 2009, 02:57:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

celedhring

Quote from: Admiral Yi on September 08, 2022, 02:31:32 AM
Quote from: celedhring on September 08, 2022, 02:23:09 AMChrist, Lewandowski is a goal machine. He might single-handedly drag us back into contention.

Weren't you saying Barca was dead broke?  How did they get the Pole?

Essentially by pawning off the auntie's jewels. The club has sold 25% of their La Liga broadcasting rights for the next 25 years.

Tamas

QuoteDuring his time taking Östersund from deadbeat minnows to serious Europa League competitors, Graham Potter famously displayed a penchant for the theatre. His team performed Swan Lake and then there was the occasion when, in front of 1,600 punters, Potter opened a charity gala by belting out the Jämtland regional anthem in a local dialect.

I am really drawing the conclusion that Tuchel's nerdy intense introvert style really didn't work for the American owner, and he is much more liking the bombastic showman for the job.

What a mess

Sheilbh

Maybe he should meet in the middle and go for a bombastic kind of nerdy-ish German like Klopp :P

I'd not had Potter down as a showman based on his time at Brighton. But the story there was a long time of underperformance relative to how well they were playing and the stats before eventually performing as well. I wonder if the new owner will have the patience for that, and if the fans do after the Abramovich years?
Let's bomb Russia!

Gups

Quote from: Josquius on September 07, 2022, 05:57:02 AMLest we forget back in the 90s Newcastle were the original money buying success club of the premier league era. A proto Chelsea basically.
Plus the supreme evil today.

What success? No trophies, just a couple of second places in the mid-90s (by which time Matthew Harding was already pumping money into Chelsea to buy Gullit, Vialli, Zola etc)

Admiral Yi

Quote from: celedhring on September 08, 2022, 02:49:40 AMEssentially by pawning off the auntie's jewels. The club has sold 25% of their La Liga broadcasting rights for the next 25 years.

"We are eating our seed corn."

celedhring

Ah yes, that's a much better idiom. Thanks.

Admiral Yi

Jeff Davis said that when the Confederates extended the draft age down to 16.

Hope you didn't think I was trying to trump you.

The Larch

Quote from: Admiral Yi on September 07, 2022, 04:45:59 PMFiring Teuchel really looks like rich stupid American owners smashing up the place.

Quote from: Tamas on September 08, 2022, 03:33:49 AMI am really drawing the conclusion that Tuchel's nerdy intense introvert style really didn't work for the American owner

According to what I read, the American owners wanted a coach that was more involved in the managerial side of the team, while Tuchel wanted to strictly limit himself to coaching, and already had a hard time taking part in the recruiting of new players during the summer. which was something in which he was not previously involved.

celedhring

He must be the one manager in the world that doesn't want to have more say in player transfers.  :huh:

Syt

Just looked at Tuchel's managerial career; fun little fact: He took over Mainz 05 when Jürgen Klopp went to Dortmund, and then took over Dortmund when Klopp went to Liverpool.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Josquius

Quote from: Gups on September 08, 2022, 04:19:33 AM
Quote from: Josquius on September 07, 2022, 05:57:02 AMLest we forget back in the 90s Newcastle were the original money buying success club of the premier league era. A proto Chelsea basically.

What success? No trophies, just a couple of second places in the mid-90s (by which time Matthew Harding was already pumping money into Chelsea to buy Gullit, Vialli, Zola etc)

Well. "Success". Actual trophies eluded them but they did buy their way to having one hand on the title.
Quote from: Sheilbh on September 07, 2022, 06:21:11 AM
Wasn't it Blackburn?

To an extent, though thats more of a spill-over from pre-premier league times I'd say. The numbers involved had also yet to really enter silly money territory and they didn't break any national transfer records. There was intelligence in their signings rather than just pure brute cash, with Sutton and young Shearer they had a great strike team.
██████
██████
██████

The Larch

Quote from: celedhring on September 08, 2022, 04:45:23 AMHe must be the one manager in the world that doesn't want to have more say in player transfers.  :huh:

I think it went beyond having more of a say. He did have a say, for instance he vetoed the signing of Cristiano Ronaldo, but the owners wanted him to be more involved in the recruiting and negotiating of transfers, which was something that was previously done by other people at Chelsea, mainly Cech, which left when the new owners came. Apparently Tuchel was very happy with the previous arrangement in which he was able to focus on just coaching and other parts of the club's apparatus would take care of the more managerial tasks, and that arrangement changed with the new owners, and he wasn't comfortable with it.

Sheilbh

That seems weird because I also saw that they were looking to hire a Director of Football - and Potter has previously worked at Brighton who have a very strong DoF model, as well as Swedish clubs which I think normally do too.

Tuchel must have been really wanting to limit his role - or it's just an excuse, I suppose.
Let's bomb Russia!

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: celedhring on September 08, 2022, 04:45:23 AMHe must be the one manager in the world that doesn't want to have more say in player transfers.  :huh:

:D

The Larch

Quote from: Sheilbh on September 08, 2022, 05:11:24 AMThat seems weird because I also saw that they were looking to hire a Director of Football - and Potter has previously worked at Brighton who have a very strong DoF model, as well as Swedish clubs which I think normally do too.

Tuchel must have been really wanting to limit his role - or it's just an excuse, I suppose.

Apparently there were more issues besides that, but that was what had to do more with the change of ownership and what the new owners were looking for in a manager that they weren't getting from Tuchel-