News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Football (Soccer) Thread

Started by Liep, March 11, 2009, 02:57:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

celedhring

The Nations League is growing on me. Yes, it's a worthless trophy, but playing vaguely competitive matches against WC-level opposition surely beats the boring friendlies against minnows we used to get in these dates.

Tamas

Quote from: celedhring on September 28, 2022, 06:03:19 AMThe Nations League is growing on me. Yes, it's a worthless trophy, but playing vaguely competitive matches against WC-level opposition surely beats the boring friendlies against minnows we used to get in these dates.

Indeed. I absolutely didn't care for friendlies one bit. Now I care a tiny bit. It's an improvement.

FunkMonk

I hate it because it increases the chances my club's players get injured while on international duty.

But I just dislike international football too so I'm a curmudgeon anyway  :P
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

Josephus

Another tournament England does poorly in.
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: Josephus on September 27, 2022, 07:00:45 PMSorry about Portugal having Fernando Santos as coach since 2020, guys.

Fixed!  :P

Jacob

So Hummel came out and said that Denmark's World-Cup kit - which is very subdued by normal standards. It gave an explanation and that explanation is that Qatar's human rights are awful:
QuoteWith the Danish national team's new jerseys, we wanted to send a dual message. They are not only inspired by Euro 92, paying tribute to Denmark's greatest football success, but also a protest against Qatar and its human rights record.

That's why we've toned down all the details for Denmark's new World Cup jerseys, including our logo and iconic chevrons. We don't wish to be visible during a tournament that has cost thousands of people their lives. We support the Danish national team all the way, but that isn't the same as supporting Qatar as a host nation.
We believe that sport should bring people together. And when it doesn't, we want to make a statement.
https://www.instagram.com/p/CjDEvi3KxVm/?utm_source=ig_embed&ig_rid=05b64d87-66f4-4dee-b6a1-977072eb02b0

Qatar's Supreme Committee didn't like that and has released a statement saying how they're awesome and worked really hard:

Quote... we dispute Hummel's claim that this tournament has cost thousands of people their lives. Furthermore, we whole-heartedly reject the trivialising our genuine commitment to protect the health and safety of the 30,000 workers who built FIFA World Cup™️ stadiums and other tournament projects.

The SC's work is recognised by numerous entities within the international human rights community as a model that has accelerated progress and improved lives. Qatar's reforms are acknowledged by the ILO and ITUC as a benchmark in the region. Like every country, progress on these issues is a journey without a finish line, and Qatar is committed to that journey.

We urge the DBU to accurately convey the outcome of their extensive communication and work with the SC, and to ensure that this is accurately communicated to their partners at Hummel.

https://www.givemesport.com/88065230-denmarks-protest-world-cup-kits-provoke-reaction-from-qatars-supreme-committee

HVC

Weird half measure. You killed and exploited thousands so we're protesting. Not by boycotting, that'll cost us money, but by wearing a  new uniform we can now sell to fans for more money.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Jacob

Quote from: HVC on September 29, 2022, 04:05:53 PMWeird half measure. You killed and exploited thousands so we're protesting. Not by boycotting, that'll cost us money, but by wearing a  new uniform we can now sell to fans for more money.

The company that makes the jersey are not the ones who decides if the team - or more to the point UEFA collectively - boycotts Qatar.

HVC

Does the team not order jerseys? If some other company decides unilaterally what they wear without any input then i withdraw my objection.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Jacob

Quote from: HVC on September 29, 2022, 07:56:08 PMDoes the team not order jerseys? If some other company decides unilaterally what they wear without any input then i withdraw my objection.

Typically there are sponsorship deals in place. I don't know who makes the design decisions normally, but I'd expect it's with the brand that's paying money to be the sponsor of the team.

FunkMonk

City demolished United today.

Haaland is unreal. Three hattricks already. The man is going to score over 40 league goals this season.

City might drop points here and there but they are nailed on to win the league again. Too talented, too deep, and they have Haaland.
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

Zoupa

I think the Premier League should look into fairer revenue sharing. Imagine a simulation of City against Nottingham Forest for 100 games. I would not be surprised if City wins 99 of those.

Josquius

Quote from: Zoupa on October 02, 2022, 10:43:03 PMI think the Premier League should look into fairer revenue sharing. Imagine a simulation of City against Nottingham Forest for 100 games. I would not be surprised if City wins 99 of those.

I agree in general. But I'm not sure just having too much money is what we can hit City with this year.
In Haaland they've bought a cheat player who breaks the game. And at £52 million they've spent silly money albeit not quite the stratospheric money that was increasingly standard. Its a signing built on wisdom rather than just brute force cash splashing.

On this though I'd also go beyond the premier league and have fairer sharing across the pyramid right down into non-league. Having an elite top 25 permanently dominating the PL and promotion to it, I'd say is even worse than having a permanent top 5.

What I'd like to see is a restoration of the natural order and reduction of the billionaire owner effect by boosting the effect of attendance in determining how much a team gets.
██████
██████
██████

bogh

Quote from: FunkMonk on October 02, 2022, 06:56:41 PMCity demolished United today.

Haaland is unreal. Three hattricks already. The man is going to score over 40 league goals this season.

City might drop points here and there but they are nailed on to win the league again. Too talented, too deep, and they have Haaland.

Copenhagen will get absolutely demolished in Wednesday CL away game against them 😞

Bookies think 8-0 for MCI is more likely than a win for Copenhagen. 😬

Jacob

Not looking like FCK will prevail, no.