News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Football (Soccer) Thread

Started by Liep, March 11, 2009, 02:57:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Liep

What a game by Liverpool last night. 8) The Spaniards got what they had coming, and apparently now it's the Italians turn. ManU starts the game against Inter with dominance.
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Liep

Also, it's always fun to see a Portuguese team getting their arses kicked. 12 - 1. :D
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Valmy

Austin just got their first professional soccer team!  It is the second league behind the Major Leagues and the parent club is Stoke City FC.  They tied Houston Dynamo, a Major League team, in an exhibition match and their first real match ever will be the day I get married.

I look forward to going to their games this spring.

The name of the club is, of course, horrendous: Austin Aztex (Tex like for Texas and Aztex as in the Aztecs get it?  Yuk yuk.)

Hopefully I can get past that.

They are playing the Vancouver Whitecaps on the 21st of April...I am sort of toying with that date.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Liep

What's this fascination with giving the team a second name? Austin would do fine unless you have two teams.

Valmy

Quote from: Liep on March 11, 2009, 03:34:33 PM
What's this fascination with giving the team a second name? Austin would do fine unless you have two teams.

Austin FC would have been fine.  There is an American tradition of each sports club having a nickname or a mascot that they are trying to cater to here.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Ed Anger

Quote from: Valmy on March 11, 2009, 03:30:46 PM

The name of the club is, of course, horrendous: Austin Aztex (Tex like for Texas and Aztex as in the Aztecs get it?  Yuk yuk.)

Hilarious.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Liep

Quote from: Valmy on March 11, 2009, 03:40:22 PM
Austin FC would have been fine.  There is an American tradition of each sports club having a nickname or a mascot that they are trying to cater to here.
If you have to name every team in all your sports league with a nickname you set yourself up for fail. They've starting doing it here for basketball and icehockey teams and it's seriously retarded.

Valmy

Quote from: Sulla on March 11, 2009, 03:41:39 PM

Hilarious.

I know I know

It sounds like a name for a pee wee league team.  I wish we still had the bleeding smilie.

Valmy

Quote from: Liep on March 11, 2009, 03:43:39 PM
Quote from: Valmy on March 11, 2009, 03:40:22 PM
If you have to name every team in all your sports league with a nickname you set yourself up for fail. They've starting doing it here for basketball and icehockey teams and it's seriously retarded.

Yeah well it is tradition here.  But I do not really see why soccer teams need to follow this particular tradition.  DC United is just DC United and nobody complains they are the the DC United Iraqi killers or something.

Liep

You're bound to run out of good names.

Valmy

Quote from: Liep on March 11, 2009, 03:50:03 PM
You're bound to run out of good names.

We used to just use the same names alot when sports were very regional.  There are tons of teams called 'Tigers' or 'Wild Cats' or 'Bears' and so forth.  Yet today now each team has to have its own new name not used before by the hundreds of clubs and leagues that exist.

Liep

Figo is still playing. :O Him and Giggs must have over a hundred years between them.

Josquius

Austin just got their first professional soccer team!  It is the second league behind the Major Leagues and the parent club is Stoke City FC.  They tied Houston Dynamo, a Major League team, in an exhibition match and their first real match ever will be the day I get married.

How does that work?
I thought you guys had no promotion/relegation.
██████
██████
██████

Valmy

Quote from: Tyr on March 11, 2009, 04:31:22 PM
How does that work?
I thought you guys had no promotion/relegation.

Players get promoted through the leagues but the teams themselves do not.  It is what is called the 'Soccer Pyramid'.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_Soccer_Pyramid

Only the top three levels are professional leagues, the rest are amateurs.

Austin is in the United Soccer League first division

FunkMonk

I look forward to going to their games this spring.

Hopefully I can get past that.

They are playing the Vancouver Whitecaps on the 21st of April...I am sort of toying with that date.
That's cool. However, Austin teams suck. When I played youth soccer we always had a good time beating them into dust.
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.