Photo Essay:Police detain dozens of protesters in Belarus

Started by citizen k, July 20, 2011, 01:11:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

citizen k

QuoteMINSK, Belarus (AP) — Police and security officers in Belarus  have beaten up and detained dozens of protesters who rallied against  their authoritarian president's policies on the 17th anniversary of his  rule.
Alexander Lukashenko was inaugurated as Belarus' president  in 1994 and has won three re-elections that Western observers said were  flawed and unfair. After last December's vote, Lukashenko orchestrated a  violent crackdown on opposition and critics.
About  200 protesters clapped their hands and stopped their feet as part of  "silent" rallies that have been held in the Belarus capital, Minsk, every Wednesday for nine weeks in a row despite an official ban.
An  Associated Press reporter saw dozens of plainclothes police kick, punch  the protesters before forcing them into unmarked vans.

A single girl holds a poster with an abreviation in Belarus, reading "Let Him Die!", referring to Belarusian President Alexander Lukashenko, on a central square in Minsk, Belarus, Tuesday, July 19, 2011. After five seconds she was detained by plain clothed policemen. Public discontent is swelling as Belarus experiences its worst financial crisis since the fall of the Soviet Union. (AP Photo/Sergei Grits)

Belarus plainclothes policemen detain people during an action entitled "Revolution via Social Network" in Minsk, Belarus, Wednesday, July 13, 2011. Police in Belarus have beaten and arrested dozens of anti-government protesters during a banned rally in the capital of the authoritarian former Soviet nation calling for the ouster of President Alexander Lukashenko. An AP reporter saw dozens of plainclothes, shaven-headed police round up the protesters during Wednesday's rally, kicking and punching them before bundling them into unmarked vans.(AP Photo/Sergei Grits)

Belarus President Alexander Lukashenko, front centre, with his youngest son Nikolai, right, as they take the salute during a parade marking Independence Day in Minsk, Belarus, Sunday, July 3, 2011. In November 1996 the holiday was set on July 3, the day when Minsk was liberated by Red Army from the Nazi invaders in 1944. (AP Photo/Nikolai Petrov, BelTA)

Razgovory

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

mongers

Yes, Belarus is Europe's Worst kept secret; Mr Cameron time for - regime change !.  :bowler:
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

MadBurgerMaker

Dude with the orange cap looks to be having a good time, at least.

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

DontSayBanana

For some reason, I'm amused by the cop with the "Super Cool" t-shirt. :blush:
Experience bij!

Ed Anger

It does have that trashy Eastern European fashion vibe. All that was needed was some Addidas track suits.

Richard Hakluyt

DGuller

As to the first chick, I'd hit it.  :w00t: Unfortunately, so will many others in the immediate future.  :(

Ed Anger

MadImmortalMan

Quote from: Ed Anger on July 20, 2011, 05:10:05 PM
It does have that trashy Eastern European fashion vibe. All that was needed was some Addidas track suits.

Pic 5
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Ed Anger

Jacob

Those are some ridiculous hats on the Belarussian dictator and his cronies.

Razgovory

Quote from: Jacob on July 20, 2011, 08:15:44 PM
Those are some ridiculous hats on the Belarussian dictator and his cronies.

The Soviets really went for those big hats.  The guys guarding the Kremlin had similar hats.  They used to wear some really weird hats in the 1920's and 30's.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017