News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Will This Make Timmay Frapp or Froth ?

Started by mongers, July 19, 2011, 10:57:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mongers

Giant space scope RadioAstron reaches orbit

RadioAstron, a Russian radio telescope intended to be the biggest radio telescope in space, has started touring the Earth for the first time.

Once operational, the 3.8 tonne "space eye" could help focus in on many remote places of the Universe.

The device will travel in an elliptical orbit that at its furthest reaches almost as far as the Moon.

Carried by a Zenith-3M rocket, it blasted off from Kazakhstan's Baikonur Cosmodrome on Monday.

The telescope is part of a Russian space observatory called Spectrum-R.

Despite RadioAstron's antenna being only 10m across - far smaller than the antennas of many other radio telescopes on Earth - its signals are meant to be combined with those on the ground, effectively making it the biggest radio telescope in space.

No rivals

Shortly after the observatory reached its designated orbit, it successfully opened its solar panels, said Viktor Khartov, head of Lavochkin R&D that built the device.

He said that it would take the craft eight days and seven hours to circle the Earth.

"On the fifth day [after the launch] the telescope's mirror will open, and in the three following months we will prepare the observatory for practical work," he added.

Although RadioAstron is expected to deliver more precise data than the US space veteran Hubble, the Russian Federal space agency Roscosmos said the apparatus was not meant to replace it.

"Hubble is an optical telescope and RadioAstron is radio," Aleksei Kuznetsov, Roscosmos' spokesperson, told BBC News. "I would say that the two will complement each other."

Once RadioAstron's 27 carbon fibre petals open up to form a dish, the telescope will start to collect data, then combine it with observations captured by radio telescopes on Earth.

This technique of combining images from a network of telescopes to form a single image is called interferometry.

The result is expected to have an incredibly high resolution - as if taken by a telescope with a dish as wide as the maximum distance between the antennas - from the Earth to the Moon.

One of the telescope's primary goals is to zoom in to the neighbouring galaxy M-87, some 59 million light years from Earth.

Scientists believe that there is a black hole there, and RadioAstron's mission is to confirm this hypothesis.

Researchers are also after some detailed data about pulsars, interstellar plasma and neutron stars in the Milky Way.

Rest of item here:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/mobile/technology-14200971

"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

katmai

I'll take what is behind door number three Monty, who gives a fuck what Timmay thinks.
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

jimmy olsen

I'm happy it's up there, would have preferred that NASA, ESA or JAXA put it up there.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Neil

It's Russian, so it's entirely possible that it won't work.  Still, space belongs to Russia and China now.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

HVC

Quote from: Neil on July 20, 2011, 06:42:54 AM
It's Russian, so it's entirely possible that it won't work.  Still, space belongs to Russia and China now.
it's not like NASA has the best record either. Faulty lenses, swan diving robot probes, etc.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Josquius

First I've heard of it. Which is sad.
Nifty.

Quote from: Neil on July 20, 2011, 06:42:54 AM
As long as they stay clear of Mars Russian stuff generally works pretty well in space.
██████
██████
██████

Brazen

Frapp or froth? Is that a choice between a frappuccino and a basic cappuccino?

grumbler

Quote from: HVC on July 20, 2011, 06:59:17 AM
it's not like NASA has the best record either. Faulty lenses, swan diving robot probes, etc.
It has most of the best records.  Most people landed on the moon, longest-running space probe, most distant data retrieval from spacecraft, best/longest-serving Mars rovers. It doesn't have most reliable lift into space nor most-cost-effective spacecraft design, both of which are either Soviet or Russian.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!