FP Magazine: "Was John F. Kennedy the worst U.S. president of the 20th century"

Started by jimmy olsen, July 19, 2011, 12:21:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

grumbler

Quote from: CountDeMoney on July 19, 2011, 06:55:32 PM
Quote from: grumbler on July 19, 2011, 06:49:32 PMOf course not.  We cannot forget the greatest British myth since the the myth of The Few!

How many other British PMs could manage to violate the Monroe Doctrine, the Rio Treaty, a pro-Argie OAS resolution Reagan supported before the colonial excursion, and the subsequent unanimous vote condemning the UK?

Maybe Lord Salisbury.  Maybe.
Oh, Maggie was a pistol, all right.  The myth is that the "no time to go wobbly" remark she mentions in her memoirs (1) was a verbatim quote, as opposed to a recollection of her feelings, and (b) that it had to do with the invasion of Kuwait, rather than the sanctions regime.

No country, I think, more deliberately misremembers its history to spare its peoples' feelings than Britain, except maybe Russia.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Neil

It's a habit of former imperial powers.  The US will be just as bad in twenty years.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Ideologue

Quote from: CountDeMoney on July 19, 2011, 05:39:40 PM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on July 19, 2011, 12:28:12 PM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on July 19, 2011, 06:15:31 AM
Worst president of the 20th century?  Meh, not quite. 
Hoover, Nixon, Carter and Poppy Bush had mediocre/bad presidencies, and Dubya's presidency was so fucking bad, it actually went back in time and stunk up the 20th century.

That's bizarre.

Even you can realize that "mediocre/bad" is not "mediocre-bad".

He was an unimpressively mediocre president.  Watched the Wall fall in a law chair.  Backed the wrong horse in Moscow. Rescued the most hated Arabs in the region from Saddam.  Let Chinese Democracy get run over without so much as a strong letter to follow.  Gets an aircraft carrier named after him while he's still alive. Yahoo.

Now, I don't like him either, but I think a lot of the blame for that last one rests with Axl.

QuoteHow many other British PMs could manage to violate the Monroe Doctrine, the Rio Treaty, a pro-Argie OAS resolution Reagan supported before the colonial excursion, and the subsequent unanimous vote condemning the UK?

That's silly.  Argentina deserved to be nuked for their naked act of aggression.  The British were models of restraint.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Barrister

Quote from: grumbler on July 19, 2011, 06:49:32 PMOf course not.  We cannot forget the greatest British myth since the the myth of The Few!

How many other British PMs could manage to violate the Monroe Doctrine, the Rio Treaty, a pro-Argie OAS resolution Reagan supported before the colonial excursion, and the subsequent unanimous vote condemning the UK?

The Monroe Doctrine only spoke about expanding European colonies.  It even said that the US would not interfere with existing colonies. :contract:
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Ideologue on July 19, 2011, 11:03:07 PM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on July 19, 2011, 05:39:40 PM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on July 19, 2011, 12:28:12 PM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on July 19, 2011, 06:15:31 AM
Worst president of the 20th century?  Meh, not quite. 
Hoover, Nixon, Carter and Poppy Bush had mediocre/bad presidencies, and Dubya's presidency was so fucking bad, it actually went back in time and stunk up the 20th century.

That's bizarre.

Even you can realize that "mediocre/bad" is not "mediocre-bad".

He was an unimpressively mediocre president.  Watched the Wall fall in a law chair.  Backed the wrong horse in Moscow. Rescued the most hated Arabs in the region from Saddam.  Let Chinese Democracy get run over without so much as a strong letter to follow.  Gets an aircraft carrier named after him while he's still alive. Yahoo.

Now, I don't like him either, but I think a lot of the blame for that last one rests with Axl.

I was really confused there for a minute. :face:
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Gups

Quote from: grumbler on July 19, 2011, 07:05:50 PM
Oh, Maggie was a pistol, all right.  The myth is that the "no time to go wobbly" remark she mentions in her memoirs (1) was a verbatim quote, as opposed to a recollection of her feelings, and (b) that it had to do with the invasion of Kuwait, rather than the sanctions regime.

No country, I think, more deliberately misremembers its history to spare its peoples' feelings than Britain, except maybe Russia.

Maggies is mythologised far more in your country than mine. Most of us hate her. I doubt if more than 1% of the population remember the wobbly remark and hardly any of those give a shit either way.

grumbler

Quote from: Gups on July 20, 2011, 03:14:56 AM
Maggies is mythologised far more in your country than mine. Most of us hate her. I doubt if more than 1% of the population remember the wobbly remark and hardly any of those give a shit either way.
I doubt that even 1/2 of one percent of Americans have read Thatcher's biography, which is where the "wobbly" comment comes from.  As far back as I can recall, every time the myth of Thatcher saying that to Bush to get him to act in Kuwait has been brought up here, it has been brought up by a Brit.  I may have missed an American saying it, but not in this case.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

grumbler

Quote from: Ed Anger on July 20, 2011, 07:29:13 AM
At least she closed the coal mines and broke Josq's heart.
And she alienated most of the Guptaites.  I think Agelastus likes her, but we cannot hold her to blame for that.

Bayraktar!

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Barrister on July 19, 2011, 11:28:16 PM

The Monroe Doctrine only spoke about expanding European colonies.  It even said that the US would not interfere with existing colonies. :contract:

The Monroe Doctrine is whatever we say it is, whenever we feel like it.  Lawtard.

Malthus

Quote from: Valmy on July 19, 2011, 08:00:57 AM
Quote from: Viking on July 19, 2011, 07:40:49 AM
The pinko-liberal-bleeding-heart liberals of the 1960's spent all their political effort destroying the man who did more for civil rights and social justice than any other man in US history.

I am a big admirer of LBJ but he sorta brought it on himself.  The guy, for all his domestic wizardry, was a bit of a bull in a china shop internationally.  Texans have a hard enough time dealing with Mexicans and Oklahomans, much less Frenchmen and Chinese.

You gotta admire the man who popularized the term "pig-fucking" as a political term of art.  ;)
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Malthus

Quote from: Razgovory on July 19, 2011, 09:36:35 AM
The year or so of many President's terms are often shaky as they are learning the ropes.  If we judged them all by that short time period  many would look pretty crappy.

Hey, Obama earned a Nobel Prize in *his* first year.  :D
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

derspiess

Quote from: CountDeMoney on July 19, 2011, 05:41:59 PM
Until he barfed all over Japan.

A scene brilliantly re-created in Hot Shots.  And by that Japanese monkey that was trained to act like he was barfing whenever they told him "Bush-san!"
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Valmy

Quote from: Malthus on July 22, 2011, 09:18:33 AM
You gotta admire the man who popularized the term "pig-fucking" as a political term of art.  ;)

It is almost a moral imperative.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

grumbler

Quote from: Malthus on July 22, 2011, 09:18:33 AM
:yes: You do.  The problem is, no one knows who started that whole "pig-fucking" story. 

Bayraktar!